Author Topic: striker suit dilemma  (Read 963 times)

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
striker suit dilemma
« on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Ok, so a buddy gives me a Carhart FR coat brand new. Ive stood outside in 45mph windy sleat and well below freezing temps. Nothing ive ever wore has kept me this warm period this coat is great. Dont feel a thing. Anyhow I  am looking to purchase the striker bibs to pair with this coat for more mobility and hole hopping.  As much as I like this Carhart, I really cant stand to wear it unless im outside in brutal conditions which almost makes it useless unless im gonna ice fish in it. Im ready to try something other than the one piece thats kept me warm for years. Looking for ideas, opinions.  Thx

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: striker suit dilemma
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:18 PM »
I rarely wear my striker coat anyway..I didn't with ice armor either. 90% of the time is under armor, fleece layer, Hooded sweatshirt. Then a hybrid fleece jacket (206 is the model i think ) igot from Natural Gear. Unless I am riding snow mobile or its super cold I never put on my jacket
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:53 PM »
I rarely wear my striker coat anyway..I didn't with ice armor either. 90% of the time is under armor, fleece layer, Hooded sweatshirt. Then a hybrid fleece jacket (206 is the model i think ) igot from Natural Gear. Unless I am riding snow mobile or its super cold I never put on my jacket
Are you the same Tko that I know??? Are there two tko's, cuz the one I know only needs speedos for cold gear cuz his shanty is 120 degrees! If I come across the Tko that I know, he sticks out like a sore thumb cuz he has a 10 ft puddle around his shack, and after a short conversation you look like that yuppie Bret in January!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:05 PM »
I have had the ice armor xtreme for several years now. Mostly I just wear the bibs with a Carhart Hoodie unless it's really cold or windy. Usually overkill, but when I need it it's there. 0 degrees with 20 mph plus wind and I was good till I had to take the traps out.

Offline DannyBoy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:32 PM »
I understand you are probably trying to save money by not purchasing the striker jacket too. (Lets face it who isn't). But if you are wanting the bibs for flotation than I would get the jacket too. They have ventilation zippers in armpit and back area. If you fall through the ice you need all the help you can get. If anything I would rather have the jacket for the floatibility over the bibs. The jacket would act just like a life preserver where the bibs may cause an unnatural bouyancy . Good Luck

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:28 PM »
I understand you are probably trying to save money by not purchasing the striker jacket too. (Lets face it who isn't). But if you are wanting the bibs for flotation than I would get the jacket too. They have ventilation zippers in armpit and back area. If you fall through the ice you need all the help you can get. If anything I would rather have the jacket for the floatibility over the bibs. The jacket would act just like a life preserver where the bibs may cause an unnatural bouyancy . Good Luck
not looking at striker because of its flotation ability but for the coin yes it may as well be. Ive been in the drink more than once and from my experience,  you don't sink download like an anchor but have a few crucial seconds to react positively.  I was leaning on this brand due to testimony from customers , ie.......warmth comfort. Open to suggestions

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:12 AM »
Just buy the set. Climate is the most versatile imo because of the removable liners and the jacket liner is also a full functional waterproof jacket I use all the time. Plus if you've been in the drink a few times the floatation will be a bonus.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Are you the same Tko that I know??? Are there two tko's, cuz the one I know only needs speedos for cold gear cuz his shanty is 120 degrees! If I come across the Tko that I know, he sticks out like a sore thumb cuz he has a 10 ft puddle around his shack, and after a short conversation you look like that yuppie Bret in January!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

lol...I resemble that statement.

When fishing the big water, and the strategy is like sitting in a rut funnel in November, I know how to facilitate a comfy environment that I can spend 10 hours in.

If you ever see me in a Speedo..please drill my shank under until it sinks.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:08 PM »
If you ever see me in a Speedo..please drill my shank under until it sinks.

Closest to a speedo I've seen was the pic of Uncle Seffie on Saginaw with no shirt.
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline ValparaisoGirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:12 PM »
A neoprene scuba suit!!!    ;)    How many times have you been in the drink? 

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:36 AM »
I think I have this posted somewhere else on here........but I bought a pair of Striker bibs a year or so back.  I don't normally wear a coat.  But the bibs just didn't have pockets.  Or at least that many that I was accustomed to.  I got the coat, and it has pockets out the "ying-yang". 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.