Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Hummingbird transducer question  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Welch251

• IceShanty Rookie
Hummingbird transducer question
« on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Do any of you use that support for the ducer or just let it hang on its own with the foam?   Just curious because on friday i was having a hard time picking my jig up on narrow beam i looked at it tonight and with using that support it tilts the ducer quite a bit and am guessing this is why i wasnt picking it up .  And what beam does everyone generally run on when fishing ?

Thanks
Red screens and tight lines!!😀😀

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Hummingbird transducer question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:03 PM »
Do any of you use that support for the ducer or just let it hang on its own with the foam?   Just curious because on friday i was having a hard time picking my jig up on narrow beam i looked at it tonight and with using that support it tilts the ducer quite a bit and am guessing this is why i wasnt picking it up .  And what beam does everyone generally run on when fishing ?

Thanks

Take the support for the float off. buy a vexilar rubber knob. put the vexilar rubber knob on the ducer cord and use the rubber stop above the float. Problem solved. or have a ducer arm made if you aren't going to use the float. Here is a pic of how we did it to my buddies.

Use the widest beam you can without picking up clutter. Narrow beam is for deeper water or to keep a buddies lure off your screen if you fish next to him in a portable.

Offline Welch251

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:46 PM »
How much are those arms? those are sweet!! How hard is to attatch to the base?

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Good question and good recommendation.  I have had a hell of a time seeing my jig on my Ice 35, but see it clearly on my FL-8.  Maybe it has something to do with the beam or transducer cable, so I will try the float and rubber stopper.  The Humminbird design with the extra cable is odd.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2014, 12:54 AM »
How much are those arms? those are sweet!! How hard is to attatch to the base?

Um I think a member made them.  shane123 maybe? also made showdown arms. He made them up they were $50 and a simple screw was used to hold them in on a spot where the base has a hole for the screw.

Once you have a ducer arm you wont use the float hardly if at all.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:45 AM »
I just lower the transducer until it is below the ice, then secure the cord in the base. Never used the float or the extra cable, it only takes a few seconds to adjust it if/when I move.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:48 PM »
i made those.  however I no longer make them for that size of bulb.  it sucked trying to keep some in inventory for each different model, so i standardized it.  now you must use a stopper, but those can be had from bomgaars for 90 cents.  I charge 25 dollars shipped for a set of arms. 

Also, i never made any for the showdown, as they have a different mounting system.  there is a guy that makes them for showdown units, but they are powder coated and not engraved. 

to mount the arms, you will have to drill a 1/4" hole into the base.  i include a riser and hardware with them to mount it. 

another note, they are no longer polished.  my polishing guy got transferred from the machine shop to the water jet/laser department.  so i refined my clamping technique and have improved the machined surface to a very very fine micro finish.  another advantage of this is not having to keep them super clean, since the water marks really show up on the polished units.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline Welch251

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:20 PM »
I had a few people tell me that the design was a way to get around the patent on the vexilar float.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:23 PM »
^^^^ I was told this flat out by a humminbird rep

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:33 PM »
The support cable can go straight in the trash. Put the float directly on the transducer cable. The support cable does turn the transducer a little. Do away with it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Once I started using transducer arms, I never use the float. To easy to get the fish tangled. I just hug the ducer cord along the ice hole iso it is harder to get tangled in.

Does anyone really use the float?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.