Author Topic: hard water fishing line  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Tguns

• IceShanty Rookie
hard water fishing line
« on: Nov 24, 2014, 01:39 PM »
gotta get some new line on my rods, i had endless amounts of ice build up on my line and rod loops all last winter. any good lines out there for catching everything? best bang for the buck? or any advice! thanks

Offline Mudeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: hard water fishing line
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Braid always seems to build up ice more than mono or fluoro.  Stay away from the sufix Ice braid.  I found that line iced up quicker than others.

Offline dyckee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2014, 04:42 PM »
try suffix ice magic its fluorescent orange or clear. i also like 4# Pline . I've have had great success with these lines.
bad day of fishin is better than a good day at work

Offline pcdoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:08 PM »
nano fil works good for me

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:00 PM »
I use power pro super slick with various fluoro leaders that I join with my own version of the Alberto knot.
All the braids and most other lines will Ice up on occaision, I like the super braids though because of the sensitivity esp in deeper water. . I have one rod with 6 lb seaguar that is pretty good at staying ice free.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Tguns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:15 PM »
what kind of flouro leaders do you use anglerbrian and can a guy just use swivels to attach them or is it best to tie it by hand?

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:33 PM »
I also have the orange suffix ice magic on 2 rods and Cajun Red mono on another rod. Both of them seem to be quite ice free. :)

My line of preference is braid, usually in power pro.
I like to use it to feel my jig working and feel fish strikes.
I do have some issues with it ice up on the really cold days, but, ever so often, I clean the ice off the guides and I am good to go again. ;) 

On most of my lines I attach my own homemade fluorocarbon leaders (30 or 60 lb test) to the line with a barrel swivel.

WW

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:43 PM »
what kind of flouro leaders do you use anglerbrian and can a guy just use swivels to attach them or is it best to tie it by hand?
Hey Tguns there is no problem using a swivel to join your leaders a lot of people prefer it, if you do go with a swivel use the smallest one you can get AWAY WITH they can be tough on guides. . I have used most of the fluorocarbon lines out there for leaders. .I think seaguar is one of the better ones because of its slightly smaller diameter compared to other fluoro's of the same lb test.  I used to catch lots of fish tying braid directly to my lures but I think in clear water and when the fish are fussy you will do better with less visible line.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:07 AM »
After trying more about a dozen nanofil, fluorocarbon lines, monofilament ice lines, braided ice lines, I've settled down on P-line Fluoroclear 4# and 6# for 3 reasons: 1) It doesn't get blown off the reel in the wind like fluorocarbon lines and some stiffer monofilament lines. 2) It stays closest to being ice free. Even when ice is built up in extremely cold days when fishing outside the tent, it's easier than other lines to wipe off by fingers.  3) It goes straight even with light wireworms to give good enough sensitivity.

gman51

« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:21 AM »
my thoughts exactly.

Offline dagdagger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 AM »
After trying more about a dozen nanofil, fluorocarbon lines, monofilament ice lines, braided ice lines, I've settled down on P-line Fluoroclear 4# and 6# for 3 reasons: 1) It doesn't get blown off the reel in the wind like fluorocarbon lines and some stiffer monofilament lines. 2) It stays closest to being ice free. Even when ice is built up in extremely cold days when fishing outside the tent, it's easier than other lines to wipe off by fingers.  3) It goes straight even with light wireworms to give good enough sensitivity.

Have you tried the P-line Fluorice line yet ?

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Have you tried the P-line Fluorice line yet ?
No, I haven't found Fluorice line in Saskatoon.

Offline Tguns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2014, 02:05 PM »
sounds like maybe this P-line flouro is worth giving a try, i gotta ask though why use a flouro leader at all when using flouro line as is?

Offline dagdagger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Pokeys Tackle has some 4lb P-Line fluoroice in stock and are just waiting for more stock to arrive for different pound test.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2014, 03:04 PM »
sounds like maybe this P-line flouro is worth giving a try, i gotta ask though why use a flouro leader at all when using flouro line as is?
By using a heavier leader, one could save more hooks from jack. I always tie a leader with a swivel so that once the fish is in the hole I can grab the swivel and horse it up.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Has anyone actually compared P-line Fluorocarbon(100% fluorocarbon), or CX Premium (coated) or Floroclear (coated)  versus Floro-ice (fluoro-coated coploymer) performance?

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Maybe I'll have to squander a few bucks and test them myself. Being very cheap, I would prefer to learn from others' experiences. Anybody?
dagdagger: thanks for retailer reference!

Offline Tguns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2014, 01:09 PM »
ended up buying p line flouroclear and berkley micro ice, gonna try em both. 6# test. Also picked up one of those Johnson thin fisher blade baits. anyone use these ever?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.