Author Topic: buying a vexilar with cabelas points?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline landgills

• IceShanty Rookie
buying a vexilar with cabelas points?
« on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:24 AM »
Hey guys I just wanted to know your thoughts toward specific Vexilar flashers. Ive got nearly $400 bucks on my Cabelas points and I was wondering if I should spend a little extra money on top of that to get a specific flasher or settle for something like the Vexilar FL-18SE Genz Pack 12°. Let me know what your thinking.

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
Re: buying a vexilar with cabelas points?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2014, 01:30 PM »
look at the options, and decide what you really need. I have an old 8, and an 18 as well. Except for the fact that i use the low power for weedier lakes, I really never needed the upgrade. And you can get a cable to give the 8 low power as well! I do enjoy the bottom zoom, and split screen on the 18 too. I don't know how I ever fished without a vexilar!
Herm Krepel

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2014, 01:52 PM »
I would definitely go larger than the FL8.  I fished an FL8 for many years before I upgraded to FL20.  I would never go back to an "8".  You will love the zoom feature!  Haven't used the FL28, but am sure it is a great unit.  The FL18 is also a good unit with zoom.  You would be happier than with the FL8.  One problem I have with the FL18 is when you fish in the snow.  The snow accumulates in the area of the readout and you have to keep cleaning it out.  I have a tri-beam transducer - I fish both shallow (less than 5') with 20 degree setting and deep (for lake trout) with 8 degree or 12 degree setting.  It would be great if you could find someone near you and see their unit in action.

God fishing,
keith

Offline CommyPinko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Spend a little cash and get the 28 you will not need another flasher for years to come.

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2014, 02:17 PM »
I would spend a little more and buy a marcum lx6. i know its not a vex and wont argue against the performance of the vex machines, but with the features on the the marcum lx series machines, you are really selling yourself short on the flasher only units.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:26 PM »
I'd go with the 18. I have used mine for over a decade and it does everything I need it to do and does it reliably. The 28s are pretty fancy, but I just haven't seen a need for anything fancier that the FL18. On snowy days I put the lense cap on it so it doesn't get filled with snow. Although the new ones look like they have a way shallower cup. Save that other 200 bucks for maggots and beer.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:00 PM »
I'd go with the 18. I have used mine for over a decade and it does everything I need it to do and does it reliably. The 28s are pretty fancy, but I just haven't seen a need for anything fancier that the FL18. On snowy days I put the lense cap on it so it doesn't get filled with snow. Although the new ones look like they have a way shallower cup. Save that other 200 bucks for maggots and beer.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

royjulius, the Dave Ramsey of ice fishing!

I went from an old Super Sixty portable disc flasher I would swap from jon boat to jon boat, to a FL-20 vex. An amazing unit, but I have little doubt the 18 isn't a stellar unit either. As for saving $200 dollars, I'm wondering if royjulius spends more on maggots or beer during the ice season!

- wyoutdoors :tipup:

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Well, I pull on foot, so at the end of the day I gotta carb up!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

My main fishing buddy got an FL20, and it's pretty sweet, but now we can't fish in the same shack anymore. There is no amount of IR on my FL18 that can overcome it. I guess if you fish near guys with newer Vex's, maybe you need a FL20 too.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Spend a little cash and get the 28 you will not need another flasher for years to come.

Just upgraded to 28.   Got out twice last week before we lost our ice.  But man the 28 is the real deal
Sold one lx3 marcum to off set the cost but kept my other lx3 as spare .

REAL deal!!!!!

Offline chrispeters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:19 AM »
I just bought the FL 18. I have never really used a flasher but the guy at Scheels said it is the most popular Vexilar. This will be my wife's first full season of fishing so we are pretty excited.

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Oh ya! get the lens cap for the display! no brainer!
Herm Krepel

Offline Bradyv7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:19 PM »
fl 18 is all you need has bottom zoom and is a solid unit but.... the flx28 is sweet!

Offline chrispeters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:34 PM »
I used my FL18 for the first time and wow amazing. Last night I watched the video that came with it no more fishing blind. When I figured out how the knobs worked I could watch fish attack my bail. Good luck with yours.

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:51 PM »
I have had my fl18 since not to long after they came out, its been nothing but a work horse for me,just last year changed the original battery.
The company has a very good tech service.They restored a vintage fish scout for me and I even talked directly to the tech that did the repair and calibration,very friendly!
Never been disappointed with its functions.

Offline simonim23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Spend your money wisely, FL20 is by far the best I've ever used. I used to have an 8 and upgraded and wouldn't ever have anything else

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:27 PM »
I have a vex 8 and used the heck out of it, it does all I ask of it. Brother has a Vex 18 we really like it too. So I bought a Vex 28 and was going to have the best for several years. Found out I am not the Tech savy enough to use and understand all its features. Couldn't get it to work like I wanted it to. Maybe just me. I took it back and was going to get an 18 or 20. Looked at the Marcum 5, bought it and am very happy with it thus far. funtwohunt

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Started with an 8 loved it! Upgraded to the 18 two years ago love it even more! Don't know about the 28, but the features on the 18 are all the lakes I fish.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline BigSwede

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:04 PM »
I started with an 8 and got a 20 last year with the pro pack.  Thought I wanted the 28, but the 20 has been awesome. 

Offline BigSwede

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Whatever one you get I would go with the pro pack.  I have used the ultra, genz, and pro.  My 8 is still going strong in it's ultra pack, but I do like the pro pack

Offline taubros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:02 PM »
I have a vex 8 and used the heck out of it, it does all I ask of it. Brother has a Vex 18 we really like it too. So I bought a Vex 28 and was going to have the best for several years. Found out I am not the Tech savy enough to use and understand all its features. Couldn't get it to work like I wanted it to. Maybe just me. I took it back and was going to get an 18 or 20. Looked at the Marcum 5, bought it and am very happy with it thus far. funtwohunt
[/quote

I use marcum lx7 and recently bought a flx28 ... theres nothing too fancy to figure out. Everything is already on the dash. As far as options tge flx28 hasn't change much other than a few face lift. 

Offline trautfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:44 AM »
To be honest it comes down to opinion and how much money you have. You can tell that everyone loves there Fl 18s and up. That's what I have to and its a great unit.  The vexilars are only going to get better so either one you get will work awesome

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.