Author Topic: Pike?  (Read 3596 times)

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike?
« on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Pike, I have only had it 1 way.  Dipped in egg, dipped in flower, and pan fried with butter and black pepper.  Good, but I want to try something else.  Anyone out there have a good pike recipe?  I am at a loss since it is so boney.

Offline bmiller423

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Pike?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2014, 12:36 PM »
If you are able to find a few bigger fish and get some larger fillets - will debone them and basically do a poor man's lobster. 

Fill a pot with a 2 liter bottle of sprite or seven up - add a lemon cut into wedges - and a couple of table spoons of old bay seasoning.

Cut the pike fillets into chucks (a little bigger is better) and boil them until they float which should be about 2-3 minutes.

Melt butter - salt - pepper and fresh dill and use that to dip the fish into. 

Usually serve with either roasted potatoes or fried rice. 

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2014, 12:48 PM »
I have a few big fillets but never tried to de-bone them.  I'll give it a try.  How big do you cut the chunks?  Size of a silver dollar or so?   Thank you!

Offline bmiller423

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2014, 01:47 PM »

I use this method to debone my northern - very easy.

I usually cut them into 2inch by 2inch chucks.  Seems to work them best and they cook quickly. 

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Boil in sprite ???  ??? That's whack.

Just wrap a nice big fillet in aluminum foil, put butter in it, lemon wedge. Salt/pepper. Throw it on the grill. The butter will melt into it.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2014, 02:05 PM »

I use this method to debone my northern - very easy.

I usually cut them into 2inch by 2inch chucks.  Seems to work them best and they cook quickly. 

Although I have no problem getting boneless pike fillets, I like the method in that video and look forward to trying it. Thanks, bmiller!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Pike, I have only had it 1 way.  Dipped in egg, dipped in flower, and pan fried with butter and black pepper.  Good, but I want to try something else.  Anyone out there have a good pike recipe?  I am at a loss since it is so boney.

Skin a few fillets, chunk them out, boil for a few minutes and add to cheese soup. I if I use a couple of large cans, I'll add a small can of cream of chicken also. The cubes will flake up in the soup as it simmers. makes for pretty good pike chowder.

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Beer battered  pike,  Take a can of your favorite  beer open it and let it sit and get flat at room temperature . Mix same amounts or corn meal, flour,  than add a pinch of dill, salt, pepper, paprika . Than mix in the FLAT beer.  Than  coat the  fish in the batter and fry in deep fryer or cast iron skillet. Pike are one of the best eating fish out of cold water.. ;D

Offline fishNdisc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Here is one that I have enjoyed in the past.  Take the head off, clean inside cavity well.  Stuff with carrots, potatoes, celery, garlic.  Wrap in foil, bake at 375 for 45 minutes.  Pull bone and skin away, enjoy. 

Offline bmiller423

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Boil in sprite ???  ??? That's whack.

Just wrap a nice big fillet in aluminum foil, put butter in it, lemon wedge. Salt/pepper. Throw it on the grill. The butter will melt into it.

That's what I thought as well.  I still do the deep fry thing but it's something different especially when you don't want to deal with the fryer mess. 

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:18 AM »
Pickled pike is amazing.

My favorite way to fry any fish is Ritz crackers and bread crumbs, garlic & herb Weber grill seasoning, blackened seasoning, and salt.  1 tube crackers to 1 cup bread crumbs.  Dip in egg, then shake in the batter.  Fry in sunflower oil.

I eat a lot of fish.  Crappie and Bluegill are probably my most often seen at the dinner table, but Pike is probably one of my favorites, second only to Perch.  The flavor to me is way better than an walleye.  The firmness of pike meat is also nice for pickling, or using in chowder.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2014, 01:01 AM »
poor mans lobster;

- Deboned pike fillets cut into 1" cubes
- fill a pot with water and add enough salt to float an egg
- bring water to a boil
- add in fish chunks
- remove fish once all pieces have turned white and fully cooked. if left too long they will separate and you'll have  very salty fish sop
- serve with melted garlic butter for dipping and add a bit of lemon pepper for an extra kick.

nom nom nom ;D

Offline c_becker11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2014, 08:49 AM »
My advice is to keep the fillets away from that slime...that will greatly improve the taste of the pike.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Bleeding them while still alive will help as well.

Offline thomps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2014, 05:47 AM »
fish cakes just make a potato pan cake mix with ground up pike filets . I grind it all with a kitchen aid  mix in spice  and fry in oil

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:02 AM »
Bleeding them while still alive will help as well.
My advice is to keep the fillets away from that slime...that will greatly improve the taste of the pike.
Both tips are very good advice for the best flavor. If you do get slime on flesh, rinse with vinegar.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2014, 07:14 AM »
Here is one that I have enjoyed in the past.  Take the head off, clean inside cavity well.  Stuff with carrots, potatoes, celery, garlic.  Wrap in foil, bake at 375 for 45 minutes.  Pull bone and skin away, enjoy.
This way is also good on a charcoal grill, don't forget the onions.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2014, 07:53 AM »
I like pike, in fact due my inherent laziness in cleaning fish they tend to be my favorite. I always completely debone fillets. There are a number of methods; mine requires a minimum size of about 24" and leaves the fillet in one piece that after cooking you'd never be able to tell I was in there. I never leave the skin attached as it can impart an extremely fishy flavor. On to the culinary options:

1. Deep/Pan Fried:

Sparky’s Fish Dust
Ingredients:

•   1 cup flour
•   1 Tbsp – Lemon Pepper
•   1 tsp    - Seasoned Salt (I like Season All)
•   1 tsp    - Cayenne pepper
•   1 tsp    - Black Pepper
•   ˝ tsp   - Garlic Powder
•   1 small can   - Evaporated milk

Combine the dry ingredients; makes enough to dust 2 pounds of fish or a little better.

Directions:

1.   Dip or soak the fillets in the evaporated milk.
2.   Remove and allow to drip off a bit
3.   Dust with the dry mix
4.   Place the fillets on plastic or wax paper
5.   Place in the fridge and allow to crust over for 20 minutes or so
6.   Heat oil to 360° F; fry fish until golden brown.

You can keep cooked fillets warm in a 180-200° oven until served.

If you prefer more of a crust you can dredge the fillets in the seasoned flour before dipping in the milk and then re-dredge.

An "Oven Fried" option dredges the fillets in the seasoned flour, dip in egg wash then roll in pre-toasted panko crumbs. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 - 25 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillet. Turn 'em once about half way through...

OR my Poor Man's Lobster version:

Cut deboned into pieces about an inch and a quarter to inch and a half wide the height of the fillet. I season up a pot of boiling water with salt, pepper and seafood boil (either store bought or homemade).

Once the water reaches a rolling boil, slide the fish in, give the pot a minute or two to recover heat and turn it off. Fish the fillets out in 5 - 7 minutes (again depending on thickness), brush with melted butter, add a very light sprinkle of paprika and finish under the broiler. Serve with more melted butter and fresh lemon.

Might not be classic and includes an extra step or so but is really very good, especially with larger (read thicker) fillets.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:57 AM »

Try Italian bread crumbs instead of the flower.  Or add some lemon pepper.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline J_Snow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:57 PM »
Tacos.

Fish tacos are great with pike and the way the fillets end up they are practically made for it.

Any fish taco recipe will be great but be sure not to over marinade or the acids will turn the pike to mush. An hour or two no more.

I like to top mine with creamy coleslaw and guac. Prefer no batter or just a little corn starch to keep the juices from running away when they are being fried.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.