Author Topic: Jiffy Propane Augers  (Read 1402 times)

Offline damyankey

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy Propane Augers
« on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:15 AM »
Dug out the Jiffy 2 stroke yesterday. Did start, but had to keep pumping the primer. Fuel pump needs to be rebuildt again. Twice in two years bites.
Looking for input about Jiffy's propane models.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jiffy Propane Augers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:50 AM »
Startron is the answer in all gas powered equipment that only gets seasonal use

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:47 AM »
Jiffy propane are good, nice and quiet and cut real quick, but pretty damn heavy. I picked up a strikemaster laser mag with the 2.5hp 10" bit and i absolutely love it.i think its just over 26lbs.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:02 AM »
Jiffy propane is still a Jiffy, do yourself a favor and buy a strikemaster  ;D
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:42 AM »
Its basically a chevy vs. ford debate.. No one ever wins ::)
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Glens army navy has the pro4g lite jiffy for $400 free shipping

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Honestly, I have friends with 2-stroke jiffy's and they all have the same issues as you're having with fuel flow problems.  I have one friend with a jiffy propane and that thing is a hell of a machine, 1st pull every time no questions.  I guess having a jiffy you're used to lugging around all that weight, some people who have never handled any auger but a jiffy will ask if you're some kind of weakling etc. etc. etc. but I really think they are unnecessarily heavy, and I'm a former carpenter, presently military, not a bodybuilder but not a small guy.  An auger is a pretty big expense, I think the only way you're going to know what kind you like best is to actually handle them and even drill with them if possible.  Now with the engineered fuels 2-strokes aren't getting as messed up as they used to, they make them in 4-strokes which seem really nice and numerous brands have the propane option.  I know a lot of people like to be brand loyal, "Chevy vs. ford" type stuff, I just like to try and make the most informed decision I can when I make a purchase and buy whatever I feel best suits my needs.  I don't think you can really go wrong with propane.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:59 AM »
I have the Jiffy Propane auger.  It starts the first pull every time unless it is really cold.  When it is cold all I have to do is hold the throttle down a little bit when I pull and it starts right up.  It also lasts for a very long time on the little green propane tanks.  I only went through two all last year.(keep in mind i didn't hole hop a lot, but I was still drilling a large amount of holes).  Mine is 8" and it runs quiet and drills fast.  Not a whole lot else you could ask for, IMO.

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:56 AM »
I had a model 30 jiffy for almost 30 years. Needed carb work and a new gas tank which started leaking on the seam. Gave it to my uncle he put 40 bucks into it and he's all set. I bought a new Jiffy Propane last year and love it. One pull and starts right up. I've only used these 2 Jiffy's and don't know what else is out there. Never had to think about any other. I will always have a Jiffy.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:42 AM »
I would do without my flasher before I would do without my Pro4.  It's a great auger. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:22 AM »
If your having problems with keeping your auger running and having to keep pushing the primer, it's time to take the carb apart and clean it out / service it. If you can make it up to Dag's bait and tackle, they will get it running like brand new again as well as cold weather / field test it plus sharpen your blade. Also has great fishing supplies.

The only problem I have with the new Jiffy's is they are moving more and more to plastic (due to weight I'd guess). I hate it. I have both gas and propane augers made by Jiffy and had to replace the gear box, motor mount and pull cord on my propane on different occasion. I know I am not easy on my equipment (ran over it with my wheeler one time and traveled across the lake with it in the sled, vibration cracked my motor mount) however the gas augers have never had any issues due to all metal. I wish they would go back to metal on the propane augers as I am not that good at babying my stuff.

That said, Jiffy was great about repairing the propane auger for me. No problems there and again, Marcel and crew at Dag's is top notch for repairs (a bit of a drive from my house but while you are there, his shop is stuff full of ice fishing items...worth the trip for me).

I see Eskimo is all metal and direct in line shaft. I don't know much about these augers but would like to see and try one out.

Any auger really is better than none when the ice is thick. Go with what you can afford then post up your likes and dis-likes.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:20 AM »
Sunday i was at bass pro shops and noticed that eskimo has come out with a propane auger as well! I cant attest to its quality but it looked nice on the shelf  ??? But like previously said any auger is better than no auger. I was hand augering 22" last year and was kicking myself that i didnt get a gasser. Bought my strikemaster at the end of the season and couldnt have been happier.

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:41 PM »
I bought a jiffy pro 4 lite last year and love it. Cuts real fast, super quiet, and the 8" I have only weighs 24 pounds. Sat in the garage all summer, I put a bottle on it the other day, and she fired right up on the second pull.

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Jiggin I hate to bring it up "not really" But you have to quit running your Stuff over. I had to Sorry

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:01 PM »
ION electric.... I'll never buy a gas auger again
Life is good!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Jiggin I hate to bring it up "not really" But you have to quit running your Stuff over. I had to Sorry

LOL!!!

I know, been told that by a few. I do appreciate the reminder though.

Durability tester.....some pass, some don't.  :whistle:

Offline Cal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:27 AM »
As an outdoor professional and designer, I got my hands on one of these during the prototype/test phase years ago in WI and had my doubts. Doubts about dependability, efficiency, and performance in the cold. I stand before you assuring you that I can't find a better (although heavy), smoother, and efficient power auger out there. Starts right away and uses the same propane bottles as heater,lantern… No winterize, spilled gas and I can run in my wheelhouse. Caution: only downside is you have to lay on ice with spark plug up!

I prefer the propane over the electric because I can get these propane bottles anywhere and can bring multiples out on ice assuring I always have auger ready to go… No overnight charge cycles and wait times or looking for a place to charge.
-I dont dislike other augers or electric specifically. The propane is simply a better match for me.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Got a Pro 4 last year. Love it. Love it. Love it. That's not to say there are not equal or better alternatives, but I have no experience with them. Had a model 30 before, went about 15 years before I had to continually dump $ into it. Had enough and upgraded. Great machine. Can't say enough. Yes, a bit heavy but not heavier than my old 30, so I have no issues with the weght. Money very well spent.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:45 PM »
I have a jiffy pro 4 propane and love this auger, that being said....I was at a store today in Scarborough me. And they had an Eskimo propane model that looked awesome. And a lot more steel on it.... Looks a lot more rugged than jiffy but not sure how much heavier.

Love my jiffy though and love the convenience and performance of propane.

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2014, 11:48 AM »
My buddy in the ctown crew has the jiffy propane. As what almost all others have said, starts first pull,runs like a top we got over 200 holes off one tank with ice thickness ranging from 6-18". As for not starting in the cold it fired up first pull all day last season one day when it was -27 the lake.

Good luck and if you want to see it in action we are happy to.meet up.sometime.

Flags up!
Ctown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.