Author Topic: Tradition  (Read 804 times)

Offline Cousteau

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tradition
« on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:53 PM »
My ice fishing buddy and I have been fishing together for 34 years.  Many things have changed in the sport and in life.  The very first time we ice fished together we had a block of cheese, pepperoni, pepperoncini peppers, Dr. McGuillicutty, and Coors Light, a radio, as well as other things.  But to this day, we still bring these listed items.  These are supplemented by whatever meal we bring or cook.  Its almost a superstition now.  Any other stories about your tradition or things you don't really need but "must have"?

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
Re: Tradition
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2014, 02:23 AM »
Traditions are a great thing.....good story!  :thumbsup:
My fishing/hunting partner and I are on our 37th year this year. I guess as far as Icefishing, our traditional meal is always a venison dish of some kind.
We traditionally hunt the same area his dad brought us to every year on State Land.....and it still produces!  ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:15 AM »
My partner and fishing mentor, "The Old Man" and I meet at his restaurant and make the "fishing sandwiches".

They're generally comprised of about 24oz of ham, onion, pepper, provolone, and whatever else seems right. They're near impossible to get a bite of, but somehow we manage.  ;D

I make the soup the day before. It's usually nap time after lunch.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:51 AM »
Good thread!  :thumbsup:

WS

Offline blitzfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2014, 04:53 AM »
If I'm out with my best friend and his family, his uncle would always bring some weird home made sausages or brats out. Mix well with beer and sometimes bacon and you just permanently earned yourself the position of ice fishing chef!
Live to fish.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:31 PM »
My wife is my fishing partner. Our tradition is to hit a different lake every weekend and then after a full day icefishing, we hit a different restraunt too.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Our tradition is a 3 day 2 night trip to upper red either starting on the 19th or ending on the 19th of Dec. It's been good!

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:42 PM »
I always fish with my father. I usually get to the ice first and scout our spot and get jiffy to work , set up the shanty and start drowning bait. Pops comes along with the sandwiches, cigars, radio and more times than not the bottle. Don't catch many fish but we sure do have a good time. Oh yeah there is 'ole faithful'. Schoooley rod with a micro jig. It catches at least 1 fish per trip
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline Walleyeslayer306

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:58 PM »
When I ice fish with my dad, its one person drills the holes the other person must clean them with the scooper (last few years check them with the flasher as well), as well as whoever drives to the lake the other person must fillet the fish when we get back home, vice versa!
born to fish, forced to work!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:52 PM »
It's 52 years of fishing the ice withmy partner "Squidboy" (John).  We started out bringing a portable charcoal grill (which we still use !!!) and Burgers or Brats or Steaks.  Our menue has not changed over the years!!

One year, at a Get-Together at Lake Huntington, I lost my mind and actually brought a pot of Chile for everyone.

Stocking up on Burgers/Brats/Steaks for this season !!

Offline gnatboy911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:03 PM »
We've got a few that have started amongst a couple different fishing buddies.  One older guy that I began fishing with the past couple years  always brings a thermos of 'jigging fluid'.  when the fishing gets slow we all have a little jigging fluid to speed up the fishing.  Usually coffee with some hot chocolate, baileys, and some irish whiskey.   Another buddy always brings Dr. McGillicuddy's Apple Pie.  My regular fishin buddy always brings his JetBoil and we have a pot of coffee goin most the day.

When I fish with my dad (which is quite often) Growing up he always drilled the holes, and I cleaned them out.  Now, since I have a power auger, I drill the holes and he cleans them out.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:20 PM »
I used to fish with my father and grandfather.  My grandfather passed a few years back and my father passed unexpectedly this June.  Now, I look forward to teaching my three yr old son the sport.  A few traditions that will continue on to my son are that orange peanut butter crackers, hot chocolate, hot dogs, and pbj's are a must on the menu.  Every hour on the hour is the fish run (9 oclock run, 10 oclock run etc).  One day we will catch a crow or seagul with a minnow, hook, and mono.  If there's a hill nearby then someone must take the jetsled down it.  One man drills as the other follows with the skimmer.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:44 PM »
I fish alone a lot because not many people can fish during the week when I can.  I take my kids anytime they are not in school, sometimes it is a quick trip after school.  I always have cup of noodles for a quick warm up for me or my kids.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:49 AM »
With deer hunting becoming less and less popular here in Wisconsin, more of my buddies want to do annual ice trips to my place up in the NE corner of the state. I have no problem with that.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:19 PM »
I fish alone but its because I am a jerk.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:41 PM »
My partner and mentor spend our time on the ice eating some of his homemade venison sausage and drinking something homemade from a Mason jar!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.