The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Structure  (Read 957 times)

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Structure
« on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Anyone ever try attracting fish by placing some sort of structure on the bottom of the lake?  I can't stop thinking about building a few boulder beds on one if my favorite lakes.  Can't hurt can it?!?

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Structure
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Sounds like more work than it is worth with no guarantee that it will bring in fish.  I will move lakes and look for something natural before I try to build a structure.  You are going to be dragging a lot of rocks out there...

Offline crittrgittr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Brushpiles and cribs have better fish attracting qualities, normally. But putting anything in a Public lake usually requires some kind of permit and/or permission from the DNR before doing so. (unless your lake is private)
Making sure items are placed deep enough, so as to not create a boating hazard, are usually some of their requirements.
Proper non-polluting materials being another consideration.
Working with a local club (conservation/fishing) usually helps with the process, rather than approaching this situation on your own.
Just some ideas to consider.
Good Luck!

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2014, 01:40 PM »
check your state/ local  laws ,

I have several trees built out of PVC planted , about 8 ft tall and 4-5 ft wide at base .
dropped in 17 fow , also have several smaller ones planted shallower and they ALWAYS hold fish , and will always reload .

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2014, 11:46 AM »
They do it in the U.P of MI all the time.  Build big pallet and timber reefs on the ice and let them sink in the spring.

I wouldn't use rocks.  They'll settle into the bottom and eventually disappear.  Wood is preserved underwater and MUCH cheaper!  Just use strategically placed rocks to sink the reef.

Structure attracts baitfish.  Baitfish attract pike :).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.