The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Need Some Help Please  (Read 1295 times)

Offline mattcarlson

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need Some Help Please
« on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:47 PM »
So i have a choice to make can either get a gas auger for christmas, or i could get a marcum showdown 2.0, a nills hand auger, a sled to put all my stuff in, and a jig pole. Lets see if you folks could help me make decision. im thinkin the second choice   

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: Need Some Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:49 PM »
im thinkin the second choice   x2

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline OpryIcin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Whither there is ice, that is where I shall be
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:57 PM »
Hand auger and Showdown... No doubt... Run, don't walk.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:03 PM »
I would go with number 2 once you fish with a fish finder of any kind will change fishing all together, and an auger and a sled in that pick will be almost all you need, theres always time to get a gas auger in the future, and you may luck out after the season and score one at a great price

Offline mattcarlson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:10 PM »
I would go with number 2 once you fish with a fish finder of any kind will change fishing all together, and an auger and a sled in that pick will be almost all you need, theres always time to get a gas auger in the future, and you may luck out after the season and score one at a great price

My buddy has the 2.0 and i love it so i think im goin with number 2

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:14 PM »
No question 2nd option .

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:46 AM »
SHOWDOWN! (I’D GET THE 5.6 DUAL BEAM  ;D)

I’ve got a couple medium weight jig rods w/reels you can have. Have to get your own line though  ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:35 AM »
Second option no doubt bud. You'll be amazed how well the nils works. No need for a power auger. I used an 8" nils all year last season.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:41 AM »
Hand auger and Showdown... No doubt... Run, don't walk.

Yup...   :clap:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hardwatercrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:57 AM »
Second choice with out a doubt!  Only thing I would change is substituting a Vexilar for that Showdown.  That's just my opinion. 

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:03 AM »
  every one is all saying #2 and I agree, the showdown is great and you cant beat a nills !!!

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:14 AM »
I have the dual beam....worked well  on Sebago for Togue. Easier on the eyes to me than a flasher.
I  have a fishing buddy who brings a power augur when we need it. A chisel works until the ice gets a foot thick.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:22 AM »
I would definatley agree with option 2.  Getting the sled and the showdown plus a fast cutting hand auger definatley is worth more than 1 gas auger.  Having said that, I was in your position between either the nils or a gas auger and I chose the nils.  It worked fine and it cuts through ice, but when the ice gets real thick, you can't duplicate the power and speed of a gas auger.  Also the nils blade is very delicate and you have to send it in to be sharpened.  A back up blade costs about 60 dollars.  I did a lot of research and decided the best bang for the buck was selling my nils and purchasing a nice used older jiffy 30.  I know so many people that run older jiffy's that need minimal care and maintenance, start up every time they are out, can power through ice, and are rugged and durable.  My father in law has two 70's jiffy 30's that he uses every year, and they have never let us down.  I know that nils enthusiasts will say that the small negatives aren't anything to worry about , and I do agree that the nils is a very nice auger, but im not sold on its application as a work horse auger when the ice gets real thick. 

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:22 AM »
love my 5.6 showdown and 6" nils, you will 2  ;). john  :tipup:

Offline Asamay

• IceShanty Rookie
  • rippin lips since '86
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Is this the matt I met yesterday out on the ice? If so your always welcome to meet up with myself and tommycodd, theres usually a big bunch of us and we have multiple gas jobbys to blast holes with. Id go with number 2 like everyones suggested, better bang for the buck and more toys to play with. When next spring/summer rolls around you will see them pop up for sale like snomobiles, and can probably grab one cheep.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2014, 12:13 PM »
I would definatley agree with option 2.  Getting the sled and the showdown plus a fast cutting hand auger definatley is worth more than 1 gas auger.  Having said that, I was in your position between either the nils or a gas auger and I chose the nils.  It worked fine and it cuts through ice, but when the ice gets real thick, you can't duplicate the power and speed of a gas auger.  Also the nils blade is very delicate and you have to send it in to be sharpened.  A back up blade costs about 60 dollars.  I did a lot of research and decided the best bang for the buck was selling my nils and purchasing a nice used older jiffy 30.  I know so many people that run older jiffy's that need minimal care and maintenance, start up every time they are out, can power through ice, and are rugged and durable.  My father in law has two 70's jiffy 30's that he uses every year, and they have never let us down.  I know that nils enthusiasts will say that the small negatives aren't anything to worry about , and I do agree that the nils is a very nice auger, but im not sold on its application as a work horse auger when the ice gets real thick.
like I said in my previous post I used my 8" nils all last year even when we had 3' + of ice. The ease of use and light weight far out weigh any heavy power auger. I will agree with you on the cutting head. They are fragile. It's good to have a back up head.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Second choice with out a doubt!  Only thing I would change is substituting a Vexilar for that Showdown.  That's just my opinion.

I had the vex FL18 pro-pack II with tri-beam sonar sold it and got an LX7 and had my Marcum showdown 5.6 serviced and upgraded. . The biggest thing I don't like about vexs and some other flashers is they make a constant whirring noise. Bugs the HE!! outta me. I Got the LX7 cause it gives really fine detail and many screen options.

I've used the Showdown for 4 years now and love it! It’s now my backup rig and it is no slouch! I fished with a regional biologist last year who never used sonar before. He used my vex  and I used the Showdown, He bought the Showdown the next day!

If you can get the Nils AND the Showdown, you’ll have a hand full of aces!  ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2014, 01:17 PM »
Easy choice. #2. If you have a choice in which nils hand auger I would consider the orange nils convertible hand auger. If you like to drill a lot of holes you can add a cordless drill to this auger and presto you have a lightweight power auger.

Offline poupster2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2014, 01:24 PM »
#2 without any other thought.  The power auger will be usefull when the ice is 1.5 feet thick but you can still manage with a hand auger.  Your fish finder once you start fishing with it, you will never go back. It is such a great tool!  The other option would be... If you have a battery powered drill you could get the Clam conversion plate and use it as your power drill! 

Offline OpryIcin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Whither there is ice, that is where I shall be
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2014, 02:09 PM »
I used my Strikemaster 6" Lazer hand auger last year and drilled a bunch of holes from 7-11 inches deep.  Good sharp (preferably new) auger blades on a hand auger shave pretty darn easy.  Each hole took less than a minute to drill, and if you have a good fish finder with a good ducer, you can wet the ice and put the ducer down on it and see depth and fish before you drill any hole.

Makes life easy.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2014, 04:04 PM »
  Definitely choice 2 but instead of the Nil's you may want to consider a Fin Bore III hand auger. Cut's great and is about 1/3 cheaper. More $ to spend elsewere.
John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.