Author Topic: quick strike rigs.  (Read 1662 times)

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • gimme back that fillet o fish
quick strike rigs.
« on: Nov 22, 2014, 08:18 PM »
were can i get some quick strike rigs. i downloaded a pdf on how to make them, i would rather buy some. Any help or info. would be great
Chepi

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Chepi

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: quick strike rigs.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2014, 08:49 PM »
looking for this bad boy again this year..
Chepi

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2014, 11:34 PM »
Haven't seen any in stores but of course you can find them on Amazon I just looked them up, looks easy to make , seems like a long leader attached to a treble attached to shorter leader attached to the second treble (say that five times fast) I will experiment with that and let y'all know
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2014, 02:12 AM »
I just made some more of them for a friend. They are cheap to build and super easy.
I make 2 styles the two hook in-line style and the 2 hook A frame style.
There is absolutely no skill involved in making these and anybody can do it super easily.
I would guess my cost to make them is less than half of what you pay in stores for them.
I order my components from places like Janns Netcraft,Lure parts online or Barlow tackle.
Sometimes I get together with friends and we sit around the table telling fish stories and making these up before season.
In a couple of hours we have enough for a few years worth of fishing.
I honsetly suggest you try your hand at making these. It is worth it and a big cost savings if you need more than a dozen or so.
I would offer to sell you some but you can order them online from all kinds of places or like I said build your own.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2014, 06:23 AM »
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box" i like it       I was in kenai this past June halibut fishing and Salmon love to go back for ice season

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2014, 06:24 AM »
great information. I have all the materal to make some on hand. i will get going on these things and let you guys know how i make out.
thanks again.
Chepi

Offline Pike Guy Matt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:15 AM »
Keep using single hook rigs, you will get more bites than if using a quick strike rig.  :tipup:

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:54 PM »
using the quick strike for my dead bait setups
Chepi

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Does anyone rig up dead perch for pike?

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Keep using single hook rigs, you will get more bites than if using a quick strike rig.  :tipup:

I would bet you dollars to doghnuts that my quickstrikes will out fish a single hook rig every time.
Having used both setups for years I now exclusively use quickstrikes on tipups for pike. No more single hooks for me.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Pike Guy Matt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:50 AM »
A single 5/0 octopus hook is all you need for pike, even with big baits. Here in RI there are limited areas to fish for pike and the spots that do have pike get extremely heavy fishing pressure. A quick strike rig puts too much metal in the bait and a big fish will often times see this or feel it when she grabs the bait and will spit the bait out immediately. I have been ice fishing these areas for pike for many, many years and have used both quick strikes and single hooks and can say for certain that you will without a doubt get more pike bites with a single hook rig. I have never ice fished Alaska, but I can imagine that it is a whole different ballgame fishing for pike up there than it is here.  :tipup:

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:52 AM »
A single 5/0 octopus hook is all you need for pike, even with big baits. Here in RI there are limited areas to fish for pike and the spots that do have pike get extremely heavy fishing pressure. A quick strike rig puts too much metal in the bait and a big fish will often times see this or feel it when she grabs the bait and will spit the bait out immediately. I have been ice fishing these areas for pike for many, many years and have used both quick strikes and single hooks and can say for certain that you will without a doubt get more pike bites with a single hook rig. I have never ice fished Alaska, but I can imagine that it is a whole different ballgame fishing for pike up there than it is here.  :tipup:

x2
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

JBO112394

« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:21 AM »
x3

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2014, 04:07 PM »
personaly I would rather catch the next state record sunfish than catch a pike

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:58 PM »

That may be so.
Alaska is Ginormous compared to Rhode Island so our fish very from differrent areas of the state as well. But I would still fish for them with a quickstrike regardless of what part of the state I was in. I just have that much comfidence in them.
We have fish that see heavy pressure to fish that havent ever seen a hook. We have over three million lakes here.
I have only fished Pike in Minnesota and Alaska.
I do know that almost everywhere people fish Pike quickstrike rigs are very popular and anglers catch a lot of fish with them big and small.
Not all quickstrikes are the same either. I use size 6 or 8 trebles and have no problem hooking all sizes of pike. the small hooks sink inbetween the teeth of most pike for excellent hooksets.
Just a thought but my two small trebles probably have as much metal as one single 5/0 hook.
And since I have a hook on each side of the bait they don't have to committ to eating it nearly as much for a good catch as you would with a single hook.
But keep using what works for you and I'll do the same.
KasilofChrisN

Offline war eagle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:45 PM »
try this site. Cheapest place I've found yet. That is what I used the herring you gave me on. Thanks again !http://extacklestore.com/images/weblogonew11_09.gif I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the link for it not to bring you to the right page???
http://extacklestore.com/images/weblogonew11_09.gif

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Thanks WarEagle. Your right the cheapest around
Chepi

Offline tbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2014, 06:28 PM »
If it was up to me all treble hooks for bait fishing would be illegal!!! Treble hooks cause so much damage to fish survival rate is very low.

What do you do if a pike or bass swallows a treble hook?? Cut the line and say IT WILL BE OK!! LOL Hour later the fish is crayfish food.

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:27 PM »
I am all for C&R  and  always make sure the fish are lively before they swim back away. The quick strike is just a better way to increase your catch ratio..
Chepi

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:29 PM »
whats your location tbass. You should put that in your Profile...
Chepi

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Traditional pike fishing has always been a single hook.
When you tip-up goes off you let the pike run with it. He stops to turn the bait in his mouth and you wait. He runs again having swallowed the bait and you set the hook. The hook is deep in the fish like you said.
With quickstrikes with small trebles they trip the tip-up and you set the hook immediately. You hook him in the jaw most times as the hooks sink in between his teeth and they are more easily released unharmed.
Just my experience anyway.Your mileage may very.
KasilofChrisN

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:28 PM »
i made some rigs. they came out well. now we need ice....
Chepi

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2014, 11:43 AM »
post a pic chepi i wanna see what you came up with

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.