Author Topic: Braided line  (Read 1293 times)

Offline zimmerman54

• IceShanty Rookie
Braided line
« on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Whats everyones thoughts on braided line through the ice.  I'm replacing line this week and wondering why not?

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Braided line
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Braided line is all that I use along with a floro leader. Works great and is tough. :tipup:

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2014, 06:09 PM »
My experience with braid through the ice was not very good.  It iced up extremely easy and would hold water in when it was being stored.

You are asking why not.  I ask you why?  I catch plenty of larger fish on 4-6 lb mono and don't lose many lures.  I suggest you give Berkley fluorocarbon ice in 5 lb a try.  It is hands down the best ice line I've used.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2014, 07:15 PM »
I have braid on all my rods because 1) no stretch. You feel the bite Better. 2) no memory. The amount of birds nests decrease by a factor of 100 3) you don't have to replace it every year 4) visibility 5) durability

Squarehog

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2014, 07:27 PM »
I did not like braided line through the ice either for the exact reasons hookandhunter explained. Maybe certain brands and pound tests would prove different.  I use 4 and 6 lb p-line cxx and it is my personal favorite line on ice and open water

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:06 PM »
I did not like braided line through the ice either for the exact reasons hookandhunter explained. Maybe certain brands and pound tests would prove different.  I use 4 and 6 lb p-line cxx and it is my personal favorite line on ice and open water
X2 ...4# P-Line love P-Line!!
BOWHUNTER68

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2014, 04:21 AM »
I did not have much luck with the braided line either.

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2014, 10:43 AM »
I have braid on all my rods because 1) no stretch. You feel the bite Better. 2) no memory. The amount of birds nests decrease by a factor of 100 3) you don't have to replace it every year 4) visibility 5) durability
Do you use this on the rods and not the TipDowns? I like to use light line on the TipDowns/

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2014, 01:22 PM »
Most of you guys are fishing real shallow if guess? Not much need for braid fishing 5-30 feet deep. Also, and knots you get in braid typically have to be cut out which is a PIA. I could see it aiding hook sets if you fishing 100' deep but the cons outweight the pros.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2014, 11:30 PM »
Turdfurg I use the braid on the tip downs as well

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2014, 05:21 AM »
I have braids on a couple of my tip ups one of my Tip ups has 50 pound braid simply because I was using 40 pound Dacron line for pike and I had a snap I noticed that the dacron line it is weaker than the braided
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.