The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lake St. Clair  (Read 1786 times)

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake St. Clair
« on: Nov 22, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Hello all,
New to the east side of the state, and have always wanted to fish St. Clair on the ice.  From what I know, it's primarily perch.. what depths do you find them in during the winter months? I do not have ATV/Snowmobile, so I am wondering if I can access the good action within a short walk. Thanks!

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake St. Clair
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Since you are a rookie on Lk St. CLair I would start out by fishing at Selfridge Air base. There is a public launch there, lots of parking.

Follow the crowds.  The fish are all over. It is at least a 1 mile walk to get into deeper water (over 5 feet). Fishing is usually better there, but there will be a lot of guys not too far off the launch in 3-4 feet of water also.

Ken's spoons, sold at the bait store near the launch. are always good. Small jigging raps with no bait also work well there.

My bait always catches fish...or dies trying.

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2014, 10:30 PM »
Since you are a rookie on Lk St. CLair I would start out by fishing at Selfridge Air base. There is a public launch there, lots of parking.

Follow the crowds.  The fish are all over. It is at least a 1 mile walk to get into deeper water (over 5 feet). Fishing is usually better there, but there will be a lot of guys not too far off the launch in 3-4 feet of water also.

Ken's spoons, sold at the bait store near the launch. are always good. Small jigging raps with no bait also work well there.

Thank you, greatly appreciate it.  I'll take your suggestions and start from there.  Looking forward to it.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:44 AM »
A couple other areas are the Metro Park (huge area to park) located at the end of 16 Mile Road off I-94 or Ginos Restaurant (same exit off 94 only make a right at the first light, go to the end, turn left and you'll see Ginos on the right.)  You have to pay 5 bucks at Ginos and the park requires a sticker or a daily fee.  If Ginos lot is filled, simply continue down the road to the next light, turn right and you'll be at the entrance to the Metro Park.  Both have a couple of bait shops in the area. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Thanks guys. I've been looking at the Navionics maps and see the deepest is about 10 or 11 feet on the MI side in Anchor Bay, but then came across some deep holes on the other side of the bay (still in MI water) near the State Wildlife Sanctuary up to 20 some feet.  Does anyone ever try to find the deepest water out there? Ever find walleye?

Heres a link to Navionics web app: http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Hello all,
New to the east side of the state, and have always wanted to fish St. Clair on the ice.  From what I know, it's primarily perch.. what depths do you find them in during the winter months? I do not have ATV/Snowmobile, so I am wondering if I can access the good action within a short walk. Thanks!

Hi Aaron
wen down in the above area stay on the shore side of the big pressure crack till you get some time in.
it runs from around 9 mile into cotton road and back out across New Baltimore.
it usually opens up with an off shore wind.[I got caught out on it]
another good spot is in fair haven [M29],several access points there.

SnoHam13

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Ken spoons work great, gusters work even better when you learn how to fish them. If you fish the American side after January it can be very tough and discouraging would highly suggest going over to the Canadian side.

Offline Old Crow Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2014, 01:02 PM »
What are the requirements to fish on the Canada side ?

License info > ?
Any major regulation changes >?

Set the hook till their eyes cross

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2014, 03:00 PM »
In order to fish on the Canadian side you need two things...of course they charge for both.

1. A "Peche" card..this is good for three years. They will issue you a temporary when you get your license, the permanentcard is mailed.
2. Canadian fishing license...about $70. 

You will also need a enhanced drivers license ($40.00) or passport to get in/out of Canada.

Mitchell's bay is a good spot on the Canadian side. You will need an ATV or sled to get out where the fish are.

They usually have roads set up that are marked with pine trees.

It is about an hour drive crossing into Canada from  Detroit or Port Huron.

My bait always catches fish...or dies trying.

Offline LSCjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2014, 05:16 PM »
 You certainly dont need a machine to get to deeper water on LSC.  Selfridge and Cotton rd areas are fairly shallow. If you fish south of there (Ginos/metro) you can be in 7-10 fow in a short walk, with Ginos the shortest walk to deeper water. That being said, some days the fish are in less than 2' of water.  Lets hope this yr is better than last on our side of the pond!!
Dont get any on ya...but if ya do...get it all over ya!!

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Ken spoons work great, gusters work even better when you learn how to fish them. If you fish the American side after January it can be very tough and discouraging would highly suggest going over to the Canadian side.

I'll be fishing over here mostly in January... but don't want to spend money on the Canadian licenses  :unsure: ...but would consider it if the fishing is really that different on that side of the lake.  I have heard there is definitely more size over there.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:08 PM »
If you are after some toothy critters you might want to try between selfridge and cotton rd. Past 2 years I have seen pike in the low-mid 30's cruise through my holes. Last year was a pike and musky in the same day.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Prolly fished the American side 30 times last year best day over here was 37 8-9"  many days were dismal few keeper days fishing sun up to Sun down. made 8 trips to Canada last winter 7-8 times limited before noon 10"+ fish with many 12-13" with 14s in there too. the only time I didn't limit I still keep 43 in 4 hours if you ask is that much yes absolutely it is pretty comparable to lake simcoe and Erie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.