Author Topic: How to Figure out Which Shanty/Tent to Buy  (Read 2904 times)

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
How to Figure out Which Shanty/Tent to Buy
« on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:17 PM »
I have been fishing many years without a shanty or tent, but have two kids who I think would fish with me more if I got a tent or shanty.  But I am having trouble figuring out which one to get.  So I am looking for any advice anyone may have to offer.

Here are some details:
- if a shanty, I would like a two person shanty
- if a tent, probably something I can carry on my back
- I am a tall guy (6'5"), so it needs to have good headroom
- I have a full size Jet Sled (but no machine!)
- whatever one I get, I would like it to have good site-lines, and easy in/out access, as I do a lot of perch fishing with tip-downs, and need quick/easy access
- looking for something fairly inexpensive (limited budget, don't want to go too much more than $300)
- needs to be able to fit in the back of my Chevy Traverse

Thanks!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: How to Figure out Which Shanty/Tent to Buy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:28 PM »
I just love my Shappell Widehouse 6500. Large enough for a person with 2 kids. 80" tall. You can carry it as a back pack.
http://shappell.com/iceshelters/widehouseserieshubs.html
<===Lefty===

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2014, 03:30 PM »
You have a really good list of features that you would want. My advice is to get online and find the shack (probably hub style) to suit your needs. Clam, eskimo, Frabil  and shappell all make good shacks. If you don't mind buying used equipment you can hit craigslist and save a few dollars. Good luck with your search :tipup:

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:17 PM »
I would second the hub style for your needs.  Do some research on them, some are taller than others, I like the shappell because it has 2 doors and is made of heavier material.  It is shorter though, so you probably wouldn't be comfortable standing in it a lot.  Two doors is nice if you are fishing with kids or other people because then people can come and go without disturbing someone else.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:34 PM »
I have been fishing many years without a shanty or tent, but have two kids who I think would fish with me more if I got a tent or shanty.

Pretty swell doing something to get the kids more involved!

WS

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:35 PM »
I just love my Shappell Widehouse 6500. Large enough for a person with 2 kids. 80" tall. You can carry it as a back pack.
http://shappell.com/iceshelters/widehouseserieshubs.html

I've been thinking about buying that shanty. My biggest concern is, does it get built up with condensation while running a heater. The heater I plan on using is a tank top sunflower and it puts out 10,000-15,000 btus.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:59 PM »
I think all the hub styles would get condensation.
80" is plenty tall if you ask me. The Doors are big and as said easy in and out.
<===Lefty===

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2014, 06:05 PM »
I think all the hub styles would get condensation.
80" is plenty tall if you ask me. The Doors are big and as said easy in and out.

I've read that people that use the insulated eskimos don't get any condensation.

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Insulated would get less condensation on the inside.  As the temperature goes down outside, up inside, and what the R factor is determines condensation.  Some math wizard could do you a graph.

If the condensation gets thick inside, you can get a little airflow.  You would probably want some with a sunflower heater anyway to keep lots of O2 in the house and keep the headaches down.  Unless its below zero, I usually don't run my heater...being out of the wind and the sun usually keep it warm enough inside, but to each his own.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2014, 07:59 PM »
A hub shelter is the best way to go with kids, get the biggest one you can afford, I have a clam summit its 6x8 not sure on the height but its plenty of headroom, we use it as a 2 person me and my son and if we didnt have it I know he would not want to be out there most of the time for sure, we have had problems with condensation, we got a fan to use this season and we may do just the top halfwith refletex, they say the insulated ones dont get condensation

Offline OpryIcin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Whither there is ice, that is where I shall be
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Might not be exactly what you are looking for but I use a Shappell suitcase 2 man hut.  It has a carpeted floor, perfect for one adult and two kids, and has two doors and a window flap.  It freakin' rocks.

Only drawback is you have to either strap it to the top of your sled or have a second person pull it.  It is light and my 5 year old had no problem pulling it across clear ice in Colorado last year.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2014, 08:13 PM »
i end out with the frabill fishauflage ambush out post it is a great shelter so is the eskimo which i want any was the eskimo is about $10 more then you want to spend for a fully thermal shack.  but the frabill ambush head quarters which retails for around $330 is selling for $250 and is also a great shanty.  the upper part of the frabill head quarters  is 600d thermal fabric capped and the skirt is 900d fabric the main body of fabric is 300d so keep it in mind it may be drafter then the other with the full thermal. and last but not least  there is also the eskimo quick fish on sale for 138.99 here so keep it in mind too .....if you do get one get a electric drill and a tent stake install tool to set it up... here are those link to check out...  by the way this is a sponsor of the site...

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/eskimo-fatfish-949-insulated-pop-up-ice-shelter/0000000084715

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/frabill-fishoflauge-ambush-headquarters-6-man-hub/0000000214105

this would be the smallest one at only 5.65 foot tall but dont let the size fool you it is a great shanty for the price... for sure could fit you and two kids  i have in mine it is about the same sizes 70"x70" x 80 inch ceiling  mine is the frabill 7013 that retail for 239.99 every ware... and the frabill above is 249.99 and twice the size of mine so just to let you know these are some deals   that are out there...so you get more bang for your buck... 

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/eskimo-quickfish-2-ice-fishing-2-person-shelter/0000000200152

by the way the shappell is not a bad shanty either so keep it in mind.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2014, 08:30 PM »
@river rat 78
i run a buddy heater in mine and get condensation on low so with your it should dry it out at 10,000 to 15, 000 btus my buddy heater on low 4,000 btu's  keep it warm enough to stand it and on high 8,000 btu's it get hot you can take your jacket off in it.... but just remember mine is only thermal capped.  so the 300d let a lot of the heat threw...  a fully thermal would be awesome to tell you the truth, with a heater like a buddy heater you would not need much more.. 

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:00 PM »
I started out with a Shappel dlx3000 suitcase shelter but it got to cramped for my son and I so last year I looked at the Eskimo 949i and the clam 4000.

I ended up with the Clam. It is bigger than the eskimo and has better insulation. I can keep it warm with a big buddy heater and it sets up easily. A few times last year my son brought a few friends with and there is room in there for the 4 of us.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Looks like I got some research to do.  I am definitely leaning towards the tent style with no floor.  As long as it can hold 1 adult and 2 kids comfortably, that would suffice.  Might occassionally try to fit a second adult in, if possible, but if not, no big deal.

I like the "pop-up" style tents which go up really quickly, without too much effort.  Thermal sounds nice.

One question though.  What does "hub style" mean?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2014, 12:34 PM »
You should update your profile to include location ...helps others determine the conditions you'll face weather wise and could steer you towards a deal in the area . ...your location makes a difference in the denier (thickness) of the fabric ...if you need an insulated set up ...etc.

most hubs (pops up and out) are fairly light weight and easy on the budget ...most are come with free shipping (look for this)  size matters ..look for head room (center height) also removable/replaceable windows

http://frabill.com/icefishing/ice-shelters/hub-style/6006.html

Check Reeds , Marine general , Walmart. Sportsman guide ..all of the Ice Shanty spinsters etc for your best deal after you have done all your manufacturer research.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2014, 05:48 PM »
I've been thinking about buying that shanty. My biggest concern is, does it get built up with condensation while running a heater. The heater I plan on using is a tank top sunflower and it puts out 10,000-15,000 btus.
I have the shapell 6000 hub and I have used it over 25 times out and only once I had condensation due to -10 degrees out. I had a 15000 mr heater. But I will tell you it will leak in the rain so think about sealing the seems if you want to keep the rain out..
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2014, 01:08 AM »
I have a cabelas ice team 6x6 hub and the Eskimo quickfish 6 which is a 6x12.  when moving them around I think they weight about the same.  The QF6 has quite a bit of room to drill several holes to fish while sitting inside.  Doors at both ends to get out to the set ups spread around.  I only use them when I am staying in one location, and usually when my kids go so they have somewhere to warm up.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:48 AM »
hardwater diehard,

Good point.  I updated my profile as to my location.  Mostly western NY and Finger Lakes area.  I hope to finally have some time this holiday weekend to spend some time doing some research any checking out all the suggestions posted here.

Thanks everyone, and happy Turkey Day! :tipup:

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2014, 05:20 PM »
check out the 4 man Ht InstaShak. Plenty of room (especially for a tall guy), fairly light for the size(good if you are planning to walk out), and they are fairly cheap to buy.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2014, 10:32 PM »
I decided to go with the Eskimo 949i.  It seems to have everything I was looking for, and found a good sale.  Can't wait for the ice season to try it out!
Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

Tight lines! :tipup:

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Congrats on the new shanty, I am sure you, family & friends will all enjoy the sport more now.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:44 PM »
Shappell 4000 suitcase is perfect fora man and two kids. I fish one with three adults and we have room.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.