Author Topic: ice conditions central/southern Alberta  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Fridgie

• IceShanty Rookie
ice conditions central/southern Alberta
« on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Just wondering is anyone around Calgary had checked out any ice conditions? Heading to spray myself today.

Offline Fridgie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ice conditions central/southern Alberta
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Spray lakes is starting to freeze at the south end. Some kids and their dad where skating and playing hockey by the camp ground, not sure I would of trusted it. Free of the smaller lakes are frozen over as well

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:56 PM »
6 inches at the north end of badger today. No problems on the ice good and solid where we were at.

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:36 PM »
I was with the redneck in the red truck that overtook you on your way back home ;D TheFishermanGuy said "hey that is Calgary Gringo!" hope you had a good day on the ice bud! I might meet you out there one day. 

Yep 6-7 inches out there, surprised me after the week of mild weather. I would imagine with the cold weather coming in this week it will pave the way for a few more locations before we know it. Hard water is here!!!!

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Yes that was me, I heard from Gibson already. We were down the south end of the lake as it was easy for us old farts to haul our gear out there. Had several hits and saw some nice ones on the fish cam and one 9 lber hit the top of the ice. As I told gibson the guys at the dam had a great day and I guess you guys could tell by all the noise. I know him too and he sent me his pics this morning as he had 4 beauties. He is a regular at that spot and always does really well at that west end of the dam. Just to get there right now it is a nast crawl down the icy rocks so we pass on it. Leave that for you young guys.

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:38 PM »
Right on, sure did hear the excitement from across the lake. Good to open the account on the first mission and also was my first time out there so     %100 success from that water now. Just stoked to see some flags again.

Tight lines and I hope you have a cracker of a season out there.   

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Just heard on the radio 2 guys they think from Alberta fell through the ice down by Browning Mt. at Mission lake. Trying to recover the bodies now.

Because there is 6 or 7 inches of ice where you are standing does not mean the same a few feet away.

It's early in the season everyone please be careful out there.

SHOTGUN

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Just heard on the radio 2 guys they think from Alberta fell through the ice down by Browning Mt. at Mission lake. Trying to recover the bodies now.

Because there is 6 or 7 inches of ice where you are standing does not mean the same a few feet away.

It's early in the season everyone please be careful out there.

SHOTGUN

I hate hearing things like that. Please everyone stay safe out there. And please remember to take your ice picks with you.
Tight lines and big fish

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:34 PM »
Sad news indeed.

My condolences to the families.

R.I.P.

“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:54 AM »
X2  All of them are from the Lethbridge.  Two retired for sure.

Families are devastated to say the least.  First trip of the season and this happens.

RIP

Offline rolling hillbilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2014, 01:21 PM »
I was with the redneck in the red truck that overtook you on your way back home ;D TheFishermanGuy said "hey that is Calgary Gringo!" hope you had a good day on the ice bud! I might meet you out there one day. 

Yep 6-7 inches out there, surprised me after the week of mild weather. I would imagine with the cold weather coming in this week it will pave the way for a few more locations before we know it. Hard water is here!!!!
thought wombats didnt like cold  ;)

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Actually it was a pretty nice day. That may chnage going forward though.

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:30 AM »
This one doesn't mind the cold so long as it is enabling me to hit the hard water.

The news about the people going through the ice is a reality check for sure and my thoughts are with their families. Do take care out there.

Offline oldcountry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Checked out Ghost yesterday. Lots of white slush at shore and about 5inches at the dock. I think it will be a week or two before I venture out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.