Author Topic: Bought a new shanty  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bought a new shanty
« on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Got a Clam Bigfoot 4000xl the other day. I'm dying to use it. Anyone have one? Any opinions on em? Sorry no pics
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bought a new shanty
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:49 AM »
Since buying a Striker suit the only need for a shanty is to block the wind lol.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Since buying a Striker suit the only need for a shanty is to block the wind lol.

Amen to that. On days where it's not too cold or windy I just leave the shanty at home.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2014, 10:35 AM »
I have a clam summit for a few years now and it has held up well I like the room its 6x8 set up and its great for 2 guys plenty of head.room to its just not very mobile and it takes a little practice to put it up in the wind but I have no complaints with it this year were going to make a floor for it that will fold up to 32"x6'and double as a sled for our gear

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2014, 01:47 PM »
I bought a Striker suit this year and just cant wait to leave the shanty at home,lol
crankin holes and droppin lines

Offline Chub58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2014, 07:02 PM »
I bought the Stryker predator suit and a cabelas 360tc hub.
If the suit is half as warm as what I'm hearing the hub
Will see limited time.
Hut - Cabelas 360tc
Sonar - Vexilar double vision fl20 DTD flx28
Rods - Custom
Lure - Fiskas tungsten
Ride - 07' Polaris 700 dragon
Auger - Clam conversion Dewalt 20v Mora 6"

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:30 AM »
I bought the Striker climate bibs at the end of the season last year . I have only had them on twice and love them so far . The adjustable legs are a little confusing but after you get them on there great . I plan on getting the climate coat soon . Most say it is to warm but would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it .

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Yeah it's a little warm but personally I like to be warm. If you start to sweat just unzip the underarms or the back for adequate ventilation. You'll love the coat also.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:39 PM »
Yeah shantys are out dated now, idk what I was thinking. If you see one on Bass, Hudson, or the Valpo chain that idiots me

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:40 PM »
I have a clam summit for a few years now and it has held up well I like the room its 6x8 set up and its great for 2 guys plenty of head.room to its just not very mobile and it takes a little practice to put it up in the wind but I have no complaints with it this year were going to make a floor for it that will fold up to 32"x6'and double as a sled for our gear
yeah that's what I was looking for, plenty of room

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:51 PM »
There are quite a few to choose from, I would check them all out and get the one you can afford mine is great for 2 people 3 or 4 would be doable if I had to

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2014, 11:10 PM »
There are quite a few to choose from, I would check them all out and get the one you can afford mine is great for 2 people 3 or 4 would be doable if I had to
I bought the clam, seems like it'd be the warmest

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:48 AM »
I'm looking at buying a 2 man. Places i fish are somewhat hilly so i really need to consider mobility. Any other suggestions besides the clam?

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:15 AM »
I'm looking at buying a 2 man. Places i fish are somewhat hilly so i really need to consider mobility. Any other suggestions besides the clam?
I've always been looking for a lake with some hills out toward the middle where's this lake you speak of at?😉

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:35 AM »
I have a clam summit, bought it because it was a good deal on-line, don't really use a shanty but just wanted to have one for snowy or rainy days.  All the seams leak, the windows are in horrible positions, the fabric is so tight I can't zip both doors closed and the interior poles are all distorted.  I'm going to throw some seam sealer on it this year,  I was actually thinking about bringing it to an upholstery guy I know and having him cut some triangles out of the side panels and sew in some clear vinyl.  I don't hate the shanty, but then again I don't rely on it.  Cabela's Ice Team Five-Sided 360TC Shelter seems like a no brainer if I cared about a shanty,  the windows make sense and It's $115 off on-line right now.  I know this doesn't help much since you already bought the shanty but hopefully I was able to give you some good ideas.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2014, 12:15 PM »
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline TylerRyan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:02 AM »
I've got a Clam Vista.  Love It!!  Plenty of room to fish, durable, and easy to set up.  Only flaw is its not very mobile...make sure you're on a good spot.  lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.