The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice Auger Review  (Read 9018 times)

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Auger Review
« on: Nov 21, 2014, 01:23 PM »
So I went out for the first time this season today. I planned on doing a review on the new Eskimo HC40 propane auger for you guys. Well that review failed miserably when the auger wouldn't start. Tried 3 bottles of propane, checked the air filter and spark plug, check the on off switch wires and got nothing. I called eskimo and they want it sent in for service. I decided it's going back to the store and I'll add eskimo to my list of augers to not purchase.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ice Auger Review
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2014, 01:33 PM »
So I went out for the first time this season today. I planned on doing a review on the new Eskimo HC40 propane auger for you guys. Well that review failed miserably when the auger wouldn't start. Tried 3 bottles of propane, checked the air filter and spark plug, check the on off switch wires and got nothing. I called eskimo and they want it sent in for service. I decided it's going back to the store and I'll add eskimo to my list of augers to not purchase.
Well that is a shame it wouldn't start. Is there a valve to open the propane once it is screwed in? As for Eskimo being an Auger not to buy, you couldn't be more wrong. I bought the Z51 4 years ago and haven't had a single problem with it. Starts on the first pull every time out.
<===Lefty===

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2014, 01:37 PM »
No valve, starting requires the throttle pulled half way. I tried for quite some time with the throttle half way, all the way, or not pulled. Tried new tanks, checked for spark, checked for oil in the air filter. They had no other suggestions at Eskimo. I'm probably ly wrong on not buying Eskimo all together but as for their propane auger it's a solid no.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2014, 02:59 PM »
We don't have enough ice to fish yet but I have taken my auger out in the backyard in 13-25 degree weather and started it three times.....Last time I let it set out there for an hour to make sure it was cold so I could set the Idle screw.......I haven't had any issues yet but this post makes me want to run home and start it again...

As the OP stated starting procedures are pretty simple.....Screw in the bottle turn switch to on and give it half throttle and pull......

Strange....If it has spark, Fuel and compression it should run..... Did it fire at all???

That is one of the problems with propane...You can't pour a little gas into the cylinder to see if it fires to check for carb issues...

What position were you storing it in after you put oil in the crankcase....I have been storing my auger standing vertical.....Not that it should make a difference on starting just curious.....

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:20 PM »
I'm still running my first gen Ice gator, heavier than hell but it starts every time.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:22 PM »
2 Reviews and it's 50% good and 50% bad. Like you said Spark,Fuel and compression.
<===Lefty===

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:23 PM »
Not once did it even attempt to fire. I don't think its getting any propane. May have a bad regulator. I have stored it with the spark plug up since adding the oil. It's going back to the store in a few minutes and I'm almost positive I won't give them another chance. Might have to pick up another Jiffy propane or an electric. Don't want gas fumes in our permanent and around my pregnant wife.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Disappointing to hear...soooo frustrating when new stuff does not work....did they start it at the store? What altitude are u at? I have heard of some issues with small engines at higher elevaations

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Sorry to here your pains. Tanaka will cure them.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:08 PM »
That stinks. It was getting spark, correct?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Yeah it had spark. I'm pretty sure it wasn't getting fuel. Scheels took it back without any problems. Time to get another Jiffy. I really want the Honda Strikemaster 10" but don't think the fumes would be good in a Ice Castle or around my wife when she's pregnant. Anyone have any input on the Strikemaster?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:27 PM »
Mine starts every time.

;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:33 PM »
that just sucks,I bought the jiffy propane,first brand new auger for me and am happy with it.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Well, I came home and put a bottle on mine and it started...took like 5 pulls initially but started every time after that first pull...I put a new bottle on it and I am going to leave it outside for a couple of hours in the cold and see how she does again...
To the OP...did your auger ever start initially??

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Eskimo is not like they used to be in my opinion. Remember when you pull that rope to chest pull. The rope is connected to a plastic coil. Have seen several the last several years where the plastic breaks when the rope is over pulled.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Sorry to here your pains. Tanaka will cure them.
X2!!!
Fishin red lines

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:54 PM »
rgfixit.... 4.5" or 6", have a older folding handle, just like the Nils the Fin-Bore has a loyal following

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:13 PM »
No it never started. 79 1/2 pulls later and it never once fired and is now back at the store (Pull count accuracy can not be guaranteed). I think we are going back to Jiffy.

rgfixit - My backup starts everytime too. Thankfully I had mine with me.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Well that sucks ..does sound like a regulator or some type of fuel feed issue..You sound like you know what you are talking about so I have no doubt it was an issue with your auger...My father in law has used the heck out of the Jiffy propane auger and he really likes his so if I were you I would go that route if your gun shy on Eskimo now...

I just went out and started mine after letting it sit out in 23 degree weather for an hour or so and it started right up...No ice here to cut with though...
The auger low idles really well with no coughs or sputters...seems to run very clean..I backed the idle screw off another half turn to keep the blade from turning at idle..

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:40 PM »
It sounds lime a factory defect. Exchange it for a new one and you will be pleased with it.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:18 AM »
have you check for spark ? use a spark gap tester like @ below link to see if you even got spark.set it just a small amount apart to see if you got spark.  if not it is a fuel issue remember spider nest in small tubes etc... etc .. so just be aware if you stored it out side or in the basement etc etc   it could have come cob webs in it or some small insects? trying to hibernate? like in the fuel orifice or the fuel jets etc.. etc..  also i would try pulling in the throttle all the way might clear out the obstruction ??? wile pulling the rip cord lol's

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images/tools2003/THE-404.jpg

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2014, 02:43 AM »
rgfixit.... 4.5" or 6", have a older folding handle, just like the Nils the Fin-Bore has a loyal following

4.5"........easy on an old mans arms ;D
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2014, 10:05 AM »
have you check for spark ? use a spark gap tester like @ below link to see if you even got spark.set it just a small amount apart to see if you got spark.  if not it is a fuel issue remember spider nest in small tubes etc... etc .. so just be aware if you stored it out side or in the basement etc etc   it could have come cob webs in it or some small insects? trying to hibernate? like in the fuel orifice or the fuel jets etc.. etc..  also i would try pulling in the throttle all the way might clear out the obstruction ??? wile pulling the rip cord lol's

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images/tools2003/THE-404.jpg

Yes I checked for spark. You dont need any fancy tools to check it. As for spider webs there better not be any in a brand new unit I just pulled out of the box.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Might want to consider a drill set up on auger plate, just a thought, will start every time no fumes!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Yes I checked for spark. You dont need any fancy tools to check it. As for spider webs there better not be any in a brand new unit I just pulled out of the box.

some time you get junk in the packaging that can get in to the carb's and such like the end of plastic that was left be hind when they screwed the plastic gas tank on. stuff happen's in their defense at least there were willing to help you out....  by the way not saying to take it apart just saying to take it in and  trade in and trade up if any thing. you should not have to do that to a new auger. just inspect it to see for a quick fix if any thing. like said it has happened before on other products and to other companies when you make 10,000 auger there will be a few bad one's  speaking of a few bad apples i had to call the credit card company on a few of them when they refuse to answer the phone after a while and or go bankrupt etc...etc... like said at least they answered the phone and said hi.. speaking of company that shouldn't answer the phone comcast and shipping their customer services to India were no one speaks English... 

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:39 PM »
 At first ice how can anyone review the performance of a power auger, first ice is for hand augers.

Offline themooser98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 22, 2014, 06:02 PM »
  Got my first power auger a couple of weeks ago, Eskimo Propane. Started hard the first time like the directions stated it might. Second time starting to set the idle it started on third pull. Going to set it outside in the cold to see how it starts, can't wait to try on the ice!!
Ya shoulda bin here yesterday!!!!!

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 22, 2014, 06:36 PM »
At first ice how can anyone review the performance of a power auger, first ice is for hand augers.

We have 6-8 inches of ice. You put the auger to the ice and pull the trigger. I don't bother with hand augers unless I buy a bad propane auger. We ended up buying the Strikemaster Lithium Lazer 8".

I must give Eskimo credit on their customer service. They were on the phone quickly, didn't transfer me to a handful of other people and provided some quick remedies to try while out on the ice with limited tools. I'm positive had I exchanged it for another I wouldn't have had the same issue.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Sounds like your all set...Take care of that pregnant wife of yours....She must be pretty special to go out fishing with you being pregnant and all....That is awesome..
I'm still doing what I can to check my HC40 out the best I can with no ice...So far so good on cold start checks and figuring out a few things on starting before the ice gets here...

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2014, 08:40 AM »

Make sure the bottle is on all the way.  The needle in the fitting needs to open the valve on the bottle to get fuel flow. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.