Author Topic: Latest Greatest New Device for Ice fishing.  (Read 3052 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Latest Greatest New Device for Ice fishing.
« on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:11 AM »
WOW, I've finally seen it all.

Found this at Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
Re: Latest Greatest New Device for Ice fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:26 AM »
They've been around for years offshore.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:29 AM »
This was in the Ice fishing section. Can you see someone using this on say a Bluegill or Perch?
<===Lefty===

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:30 AM »
If you had ever fished for Blue fish in the salt, you would know what a useful tool that can be... The Blue is a fish that can see out of the water as well as in and it;s teeth are nothing but scary... It will lay still in the bottom of the boat until you bring a hand or foot near its mouth then it will snap at you like a rabid dog...

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:34 AM »
This was in the Ice fishing section. Can you see someone using this on say a Bluegill or Perch?
Now you got me there! Icefish section!?  Did the did the perch and crappies grow huge teeth and legs over the summer, I didn't see it on the internet yet?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:41 AM »
Maybe it's for those invasive Snakeheads or flying Asian Silver Carp..."and it's a swing and a miss!"  :woot:

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:41 AM »
In ice fishing circles those tools are usually used to help the fish meet minimum length requirements. For example, if your lake has a 15" minimum length for walleye and you catch a 14" fish, you can give it about eight good whacks with Mr. Billy and there you're up to 15" and legal. As an added feature, at that point there's no need to cut fillets from your fish since they're already pancake flat. Hope that helps.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:42 AM »
I hope Lefty's wife doesn't find his new billy club the next time he wants to go ice fishing and the chores aren't done. :o :o :o

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:45 AM »
I use something very similar but it was made from an old baluster and we also have HDPE ones here for many years now.  Its handy to give an eater walleye, pike or trout a good quick whack and get back to fishing.  That way I can leave them in the shelter on the ice without them flapping all over and knocking stuff over.  I hate throwing them outside of the shelter and then having to fillet a frozen fish... not to mention the guys who drive by and see a few on the ice and drill so close I could of pulled their recoil from my seat  ;).   

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:47 AM »
I hope Lefty's wife doesn't find his new billy club the next time he wants to go ice fishing and the chores aren't done. :o :o :o
She is the one taking the pictures of it. I didn't buy one but should have so I could give the Grand Kids some adjustments in their attitudes.
<===Lefty===

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 AM »
Instead of using it on fish, use it on other fisherman who get too close.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:52 AM »
WOW, I've finally seen it all.

Found this at Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday.

I've got one. use it to wack pike in the head. Nothing worse then having a half dead pike come to life and bite you.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:55 AM »

"Guess I'd better do those chores"... :roflmao: :roflmao:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Where'd your grandkids get there attitudes from?  :P  Let's see - about 50 years ago, I was fishing the St. Lawrence with an old time Muskie fisherman.  He would not bring a fish in the boat without giving it a good sold whack on the head with one of those.  Thank goodness most folks have changed their ways these days.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Pretty common on the Big Water....I carried one on the kayak for YT.....

Rob Yuen in Hawaii has some great video's of fishing the Big Water Edge...the one below is my favorite

Offline puddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Where'd your grandkids there attitudes from?  :P  Let's see - about 50 years ago, I was fishing the St. Lawrence with an old time Muskie fisherman.  He would not bring a fish in the boat without giving it a good sold whack on the head with one of those.  Thank goodness most folks have changed their ways these days.

They used to use old .38's here in WI for ski's.
You can't catch fish in the parking lot.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Hey I have one in my Bear also..if keeping Northerns or Pout to eat, give em a tap on the head, cut their throats to bleed and throw in cooler so they aren't frozen stiff..  Mine is a fine oak spindle turned for a stairwell!  Nothing wrong with catch and release into the grease!!!

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Lots of guys had those in Alaska while wading the Kenai for salmon. I used a rock... or a stick... whichever was closer

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Just so you all know this true fact. When I was young about 12 I went fishing with my Cousins and the little girl once she caught a fish would bite it on the head until it quit wiggling. She was about 6 then.
<===Lefty===

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:06 PM »
I make my own "Kabongers"!  I have one made from Aluminum also-

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:35 PM »
They use those a lot down south fishing for redfish and drum.  Quiets them right down when you get them in the boat.  My brother lives in New Orleans and has one that he uses when fishing in the Louisianna oyster beds for redfish and gar, you really don't want a 30 lb redfish or a 4 foot gar thrashing around a 16 foot skiff so you put them to sleep if your going to keep it otherwise you release him next to the boat and watch your hands because alligator and other gar hang out under the boat looking for an easy meal and might take your hand with it.  I can't imaging why anyone would want one ice fishing unless they're scarred of pike.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:33 PM »
I can see a few uses for those icefishing. Maybe not for you guys in the lower 48 though with your little fish and all.LOL ;D
But in my saltwater boat not only do we use a fish club on the fish I also carry a detachable head Harpoon tied off to a buoy but also a .410 snakecharmer shotgun to dispatch the big ones.
Nothing like having a 100+ pound halibut thrashing in your boat. We even whack the little 15-20 pounders if we are keeping them.
We also whack all our salmon in the summertime. Otherwise they ca tear themselves right off of a stringer and their thrashing bruises the meat.
There was a guy fishing alone in AK who was killed by a thrashing fish one year. It broke his leg thrashing around on deck and he bled out before anybody found him with his boat floating around the ocean on its own.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2014, 11:58 AM »
If you are fishing in a Snobear  or a Permanent and have a cooler to put your fish in...its a lot easier to fillet a non frozen fish by the way.... these things work great!  Here is a pic of mine  "Painless II"

Going ice fishing for perch in 30 min, won't bring it along though, only for big fish! ;D

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:21 PM »
If fish screamed, few people would fish...

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2014, 07:41 PM »
This is nothing...  When halibut fishing on my buddies boat its common practice to shoot him in the head with a 22 before gaffing him to bring him on board... Be careful not to shoot the bottom of the boat :) ... But we do use these in the northwest on salmon

Its called giving the fish the "wood shampoo" lol

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2014, 03:30 AM »
If you are fishing in a Snobear  or a Permanent and have a cooler to put your fish in...its a lot easier to fillet a non frozen fish by the way.... these things work great!  Here is a pic of mine  "Painless II"

Going ice fishing for perch in 30 min, won't bring it along though, only for big fish! ;D

Did you take the leg off your kitchen table? ??? I will have to see if I can unscrew one of mine.

WS

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2014, 04:22 AM »
In NY, you'll get busted for having a billy club.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:19 AM »
Yea that does look like a table leg, And with that sharp edge you could probably chop of the fishes head with one whack :roflmao: :roflmao:.
<===Lefty===

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:04 AM »
It was a oak bannister that a mistake was made.....  Actually the sharp edges seem to work better than round a lighter tap is all thats needed. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.