Author Topic: Thin ICE  (Read 915 times)

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Thin ICE
« on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:32 AM »
Just seen the news and I guess I'm not really surprised by what they reported ....couple of kids fell through the ice yesterday....Thankfull y they ok..shaken up and hopefully smarter
Nothing worse than hearing something like that ....

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline LakerNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Thin ICE
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Just finished reading that article myself. As anxious I am for early ice this year, it isn't worth the risk of going through to fish a few weeks early. I've been watching a few small ponds skim over, so hopefully it wont be too long before we got a good solid 4-5" of ice to fish on!  :tipup: :tipup:
Oh the weather outside is frightful but the cusk are so delightful, long as I can't feel my toes! Let snow let it snow let it snow!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Pretty sad, PoolGuy.
What general area? Were they young kids just checking ice or were they attempting to fish?
Happy they got out safely.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:34 PM »
In derry, a street hockey game quickly turned into an ice hockey game once they saw ice, followed by and icy game of marko polo. Shout out to the derry FD.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:49 PM »
id be more worried about what they catch from the water they fell in ... that place has some of the grossest wate ie ee seen in my life ! cant beliee the dery rec dept gies swimming lessons and such in the summertime there . glad those kids are alright  and hopefully a lil smarter about ice now !
fishin is my mission !!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Thanks Salmonemia.
Talked to a guy I just met tonight.
He was skating today on a shallow beaver swamp on 2" of ice.
I guess it's OK as he said he knew it well and it was below knee deep, but still a little  :cookoo: imo.

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:21 PM »
I just heard about that pond ,I know they stock it with trout for kids Derbys in the spring and it dose look dirty in the summer glad the youngsters are alright won't be long for ice unless this warm front sticks around

Offline kl3377

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:24 PM »
Nice to see they are ok.  I am going to go from wearing my waders in the river, to wearing my waders over no more than 3' of water on early ice.
A watched lake never freezes.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Nothing wrong with that approach. Hopefuly it will be a long season - no sense in ending it early with a cold dip in deep water. One only needs to fall thru once to gain a whole new prepective - says one who's been there - done that!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Unfortunately there are quite a few incidents like this. The sad thing is that there are so many kids who have no idea what danger they are putting themselves in. They also don't realize how many "mentors" there are on the ice (when it's safe, of course).

Hopefully we won't hear many more stories like this, but only time will tell.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Unfortunately there are quite a few incidents like this. The sad thing is that there are so many kids who have no idea what danger they are putting themselves in. They also don't realize how many "mentors" there are on the ice (when it's safe, of course).

Hopefully we won't hear many more stories like this, but only time will tell.
you said it right there !!! the only good thing in that story was those kids were outside !! and not in a house on the couch with video games !! ill take any kid that wants to fish or even shows an interest in it anytime , ive 2 in my house that if the go outside i think they would die from the infusion of fresh air !!! its sad that so few kids today will ever know the enjoyment that awaits them right outside their door ......
fishin is my mission !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.