The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: salmon or brown trout?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline freshwater fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
salmon or brown trout?
« on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:46 PM »
So i just started video taping my ice fishing adventures with my dad last year and my dad caught this what looks to be like a salmon to use even though in the video i screamed out its a trout and what not I know its very dumb of me to say that but i was just so hyped to see that and i say its beautiful a lot i wasn't really thinking but whatever tell me what you guys and gals think its at 9:30 on the video id really like to know what you guys and gals think and this was caught in unity pond.
wj_yw          Also if you guys or gals like the video theres more on my channel which is just my name so thanks id love to hear your opinions.
If you have never been skunked then you've never truely gone fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: salmon or brown trout?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Also you can get a good look of the fish at 11:43 of the video

Offline jtlambo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay thirsty my friends....
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Salmon, look at the tail. Definitely not a brookie! That's a pretty severe fork for a brown.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:56 PM »
That's without a doubt a salmon. Try to learn the difference the best that you can, with salmon their scales are significantly more profound and noticeable (they are larger anyway). If I were you I wouldn't keep any of the salmon out of Unity lake, as they are from a wild population. At least I think they are, since Unity hasn't been stocked with salmon in years (maybe I'm wrong). The water quality at Unity lake is questionable, so the amount of salmon in there is very low. There are browns in there, so catching a few of each species will hopefully allow you to notice some differences between the two.

Offline Slammah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This one has got some shoulders on it!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2014, 06:58 AM »
No doubt a salmon. Looks like a stocked fish as well. (Pelvic fin clipped) No salmon on the stocking report in Unity Pond going back through 2010. Something is not adding up!

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Something is not adding up!
Might have been an illegal introduction by a bucket bio?

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Yes agreement on something not adding up. I lived and fished unity pond all my younger life and many many bass tournaments and never seen or heard of s :oalmon being in there..

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Ive talked to many people and most of them have never heard of salmon being in that lake other than a long time ago and I've researched a lot and have seen that only brown trout are in there so it was weird to see a salmon come out of the water that day but maybe someone illegally put the fish in the lake or i don't know that's all i can think of.

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:10 AM »
i don't think that the "wild one's" have any clipped fins that on looked like it did.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:46 AM »
I guess that i missed the clipped fin in the vid. I don't know any other salmon waters in the area so I would lean more towards an illegal introduction.

Offline slaying shack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2015, 07:25 PM »
There hasn't been a salmon caught out of Unity Lake for 20+ years... I highly dought it being a salmon, as there are many browns in there. I have fished there my whole life, but you never know. I do agree on not keeping the trout out of the lake. They stopped stocking this pond two years ago with any fish. It would be nice to see the good fish population come back.... not 25 inch pickerel, slab crappies, and huge large mouths. The alewives are depleating the smelt population out of the lake. Anyone that used to dip the smelts out of there would tell you that lake had the biggest jack smelts anywhere.
I got a call... everyone was dismayed... all around my shack... the fish had been slayed.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Many signs show that it was a salmon. How it got there is another story

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2015, 06:33 AM »
with all the bleeding you would have to keep that one eat it

Offline slaying shack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:33 AM »
I agree with if the fish just isn't going to make it to just keep it.
I got a call... everyone was dismayed... all around my shack... the fish had been slayed.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:40 AM »
Salmon, no doubt.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:37 AM »
No question it's a salmon.  As for how it got in there, it most likely got mixed in with the browns when stocked. That happens often.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2015, 10:44 AM »
When I went to college there, my friend and I went to the Kanoculos boat ramp and got into the stockies pretty good in the fall. My friend hooked into a large fish and when we landed it, it was about a 25-26 in female salmon. We snapped some pictures and released the fish back into Unity Pond. Being at the college, I showed the pictures to the fisheries biologist at my school who talked to the state bio's to get to the bottom of it. The bio's believed that it was one of the breeder salmon they stocked at a tributary of the Kennebec River and that the salmon made its way up Sandy stream to Unity Pond where it was caught. This fish was clearly beat up, missing a lot of scales and rather thin. If I can find pictures of the fish I will  post it up. This fish was confirmed by the biologists to be a Atlantic Salmon. I believe this happened in 2009.

Offline SFBBBA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2015, 12:38 PM »
The only way to tell for sure is to check the teeth on the roof of their mouth, as it shows in the law book.
Wolverines!!!

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2015, 03:00 PM »
The only way to tell for sure is to check the teeth on the roof of their mouth, as it shows in the law book.
2X
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Ohiocatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always a bigger fish
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2015, 06:52 PM »
100% salmon....all that blood. That fish ain't making it

Offline TightLinesMaine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Salmon.  But impossible to know for sure without looking at the vomerine teeth

Offline Mostly Flagless

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Same thing happened to me on a lake that is only stocked with browns two years ago. My first thought was that it was an interesting looking Brown, so looked at the teeth, no doubt it was a salmon. I wonder if the wrong fish get into the tanks somehow from time to time????? ???
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with Me. REV. 3:20

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Had a friend catch a Salmon out of Churchill lake a few years ago . And no Salmon have ever been stocked there. Like was mentioned Salmon get mixed in with Trout of different species at the hatcheries.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2015, 09:10 PM »
When I went to college there, my friend and I went to the Kanoculos boat ramp and got into the stockies pretty good in the fall. My friend hooked into a large fish and when we landed it, it was about a 25-26 in female salmon. We snapped some pictures and released the fish back into Unity Pond. Being at the college, I showed the pictures to the fisheries biologist at my school who talked to the state bio's to get to the bottom of it. The bio's believed that it was one of the breeder salmon they stocked at a tributary of the Kennebec River and that the salmon made its way up Sandy stream to Unity Pond where it was caught. This fish was clearly beat up, missing a lot of scales and rather thin. If I can find pictures of the fish I will  post it up. This fish was confirmed by the biologists to be a Atlantic Salmon. I believe this happened in 2009.
alright that'd be cool to see the pictures

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.