Author Topic: Any non sodium nitrate/nitrite jerky marinade recipes?  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I understand that the Jerky will need to be kept in the freezer after drying which is fine but I'd like to steer clear of the sodium nitrite/nitrate marinades for jerky. Any suggestions or home recipes?
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Any non sodium nitrate/nitrite jerky marinade recipes?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:38 AM »
Just your own run of the mill jerky recipe from the web will work ...just omit the sodium nitrate and add some sea/kosher salt (not too much)   ..usually jerky doesn't last long enough to even come close to spoiling .

just a quick example

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/6c9ra06k/ohio-jerky.html

basically a Dry rub/Marinade mix ...sweet/spicy/salty/hot ...combo ..lil vinegar as a tenderizer ...an add water if to thick ..will dehydrate out and does not add or remove anything . Good Luck
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I'm with you, I hate the nitrates.  I don't care about the health aspect, I cant stand the taste. Like said, just omit them in the recipe and replace with either kosher or sea salt (no iodine).

Here's my recipe. don't really hold the measurements to a T, I usually give it the taste test.  pretty salty but not so much that it overwhelms you.

8oz la choy soy sauce.
Tbsp garlic powder
some Worcestershire 
red pepper (for hot)

marinade overnight or 24 hours

after it marinades I take out and use a pepper grinder to crack fresh ground pepper on the meat, smoke to perfection!
I'm cold and I like it

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Good thread. I have been smoking jerky for about 6 months now and I'm starting to really churn out some good stuff. I have been using the Cabela's mixes in order to just get my techniques down. Now I want to create my own flavors and get away from the nitrates also. That looks like a great recipe to start with amcmullen.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:02 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I'm working on a sweet and hot using Kikkoman light sodium soy, sriracha, molasses and garlic.

Offline Burtess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2014, 07:54 PM »
4  lbs lean cut roast (round etc. cut 1/4" thick)
2  teaspoons coarse ground black pepper   
2  teaspoons chili powder   
2  teaspoons garlic powder   
2  teaspoons cayenne pepper, more if you like it hot   
2  teaspoons onion powder   
1  teaspoon liquid smoke   
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce   
1/2 cup  Frank's red hot sauce

I have made this recipe that I found online and add ground up home grown and dried chilli's to the mix for more heat.

Put meat and all this into a large Ziploc and leave overnight.

I use a dehydrator..... I think if you use a Little Chief or equivalent than you would not need the liquid smoke if using wood chips...

I just throw it in the fridge when done... and keep a small bag in the car for when I get the urge.  Never had any problems with it going bad even though there is no nitrite or salt in the recipe.

Burt :)

Offline tyfishstix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:33 AM »
marinade in bourbon,soy sauce, pineapple juice, lil garlic...freeze slightly to make it easier for slicing.

Offline Hunt n Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2016, 09:42 AM »
The main reason sodium nitrate/nitrite otherwise known as "cure" is used is not to preserve food.  It's main purpose is to prevent the food borne illness botulism.  The bacteria that causes botulism can grow when food is kept warm for long periods especially with low oxygen levels.  Which is the environment of a smoker/dehydrator.  There is a greater risk with ground meat as opposed to solid/sliced meat.  That being said I've smoked without it and I aint dead yet!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2016, 10:22 AM »
A smoker will have a low oxygen environment within, not sure how a dehydrator would though? My dehydrator  least has a fan constantly running and drawing air into it and the door is anything but air tight...

Offline shawn30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2016, 01:22 PM »
I use the High Country Jerky mix, and I don't add the cure. If the meat isn't fatty and dehydrated well then spoiling isn't an issue. As mentioned above Botulism is the reason for Nitrate. I use the dehydrator most times, but the smoker does give it a nice flavor

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2016, 01:55 PM »
So, I've ran some batches without the nitrates/nitrites and have come up with several different types that I like. I haven't gotten sick yet...LOL. Some research has shown that others are placing their dehydrated jerky in a 180* oven for 15 minutes to ensure no botulism. Afterward, storing in a freezer is recommended.

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:32 PM »
I got diagnosed with high blood pressure this year and the clinic has been nagging me about salt. As someone who likes to smoke meat and fish and make jerky this was a real kick in the nuts!
I haven't done much smoking, but I have made lots of jerky on my dehydrator.
My recipe is really easy = No measurements, just guesstimates = I use about a cup of sodium reduced soya sauce, a big dollop of oyster sauce, a shot of Worcestershire sauce, a healthy shake of garlic powder and onion powder and whole bunch fresh ground pepper. Marinate meat overnight, at least 12 hours. I dry off all meat with paper towels before putting on dehydrator.

It is really, really good according to just about everyone who tries it.
I don't honestly taste the difference between regular and low-salt soya sauce but I am happy to be cutting the sodium by at least a third.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.