Author Topic: Mr Heater buddy heaters  (Read 3468 times)

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mr Heater buddy heaters
« on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Does anybody use any of the buddy heaters? If so which one? Big buddy, little buddy, regular sized? I read mixed reviews on them and wanted to hear from the guys on the ice since that's where I'll be using it most. I've read that they freeze up and won't stay lit. Also people have a hard time just getting them lit. I plan on getting a pop up shelter to use it in, so most likely it won't be out in the elements. I like the fact that they can run off of the small propane tanks so I wouldn't have to drag a big 20lb tank out in my sled. If they are more trouble than they're worth then I think I'd just get the screw-on type that attaches right on top of a 20lb tank. I know that those throw good heat and are pretty reliable. Any advice appreciated. Thankyou

Offline 1eyechaser

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Mr Heater buddy heaters
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Marty
I've had my little buddy for 4 yrs and love it in my 1 man flip over its more than enough. Never had any trouble lighting it but as some have said the pilot would blow out. I made a shield out of scrap galvanized metal and pop riveted it on. Haven't had any problems since.

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Does anybody use any of the buddy heaters? If so which one? Big buddy, little buddy, regular sized? I read mixed reviews on them and wanted to hear from the guys on the ice since that's where I'll be using it most. I've read that they freeze up and won't stay lit. Also people have a hard time just getting them lit. I plan on getting a pop up shelter to use it in, so most likely it won't be out in the elements. I like the fact that they can run off of the small propane tanks so I wouldn't have to drag a big 20lb tank out in my sled. If they are more trouble than they're worth then I think I'd just get the screw-on type that attaches right on top of a 20lb tank. I know that those throw good heat and are pretty reliable. Any advice appreciated. Thankyou

Just about everybody I fish with has a big buddy.  Since the big buddy has two burners and high, med, low settings, you can use it how you want.  They can be a brute to start sometimes, but mainly that is due to it taking a minute or two to prime the propane or a leveling issue.  The nice thing about the buddy heaters is that they have a low oxygen sensor and are rated for indoor use.  Though one should always make sure they have proper ventilation when using propane heaters, this one eases my mind with it's safety features, especially when sleeping on the ice.  I didn't like carrying around and buying all the little green propane tanks so I bought one of the smaller 10lb propane tanks and it lasts me 2-3 days on the ice.  The screw on top heaters are great for sitting outside the tent as a heat source, and of course will do the job in the tent as well, but they have a much higher risk of burning up the oxygen quicker in your tent, and I have seen a few people get a bit light headed off them.

Hope that helps! 

Cheers

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I use my Big Buddy heater in my pop up.  I am a fair weather ice fisherman and rarely go out if it is below -10 but have never had a problem with it starting or operating. The biggest deterrent to a Buddy heater is the fact that propane releases a lot of moisture.  All in all they are a good investment in staying warm. :tipup:

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2014, 11:31 AM »
Awesome. Thanks guys. I think a big buddy may be going on my Xmas list this year.

Offline skeet190

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 04:20 PM »
i have the MR buddy and it works great...  of coarse if its windy it will blow out but they are easy to lite...  i use mine in a one man flip over or in a pop up..  works great in either one...  that being said if i was ONLY going to be using it in a pop up then i would say the big buddy would be the way to go...
Eat, Sleep, Fish

Offline Icyfish007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Hi,

I have Mr. Buddy heater and it keeps my shanty nice and toasty.  Got it few years ago and like it.  I have an Eskimo 3 Quickfish and it is plenty once it gets going. One Coleman 1 lb. bottle usually lasts about 3 hours on high.  When using one of those pop up shanties I usually put snow on the skirt of it from all sides otherwise wind will blow the pilot light out of when placed on the ice.  All in all a great investment in staying warm.

Cheers,
IcyFish007

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:41 PM »
I used a heater buddy in my 4 man pop up, had it for 3 years and gets lots of use, no issues with starting and never complained out its output. definitely a game changer

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Marty:  The size of your shack is something you should also consider.  I fish mostly in a 1 man thermal flip over and if I run even a little buddy heater in there or it cooks me alive.  However it is perfect for my Eskimo 2 man hub.  It would also be good for a 2 man flip but anything bigger than that and you may want to consider the big buddy.  A portable fan helps a lot too.  Helps get the heat down from the ceiling to where you are.  In a big shack, I would definitely recommend a ceiling fan.  I just use a 12v Clam fan.  As far as durability, I have not had any problems.  If you are towing your shack, you'll want to make sure the heater isn't bouncing around too much.  Take care of it like you would your electronics and you'll have no problems. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:56 PM »
If you use a 20 lb. tank with a Mr. Buddy, make sure to purchase the inline filter otherwise say goodbye to the regulator....instant anchor!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Marty:  The size of your shack is something you should also consider.  I fish mostly in a 1 man thermal flip over and if I run even a little buddy heater in there or it cooks me alive.  However it is perfect for my Eskimo 2 man hub.  It would also be good for a 2 man flip but anything bigger than that and you may want to consider the big buddy.  A portable fan helps a lot too.  Helps get the heat down from the ceiling to where you are.  In a big shack, I would definitely recommend a ceiling fan.  I just use a 12v Clam fan.  As far as durability, I have not had any problems.  If you are towing your shack, you'll want to make sure the heater isn't bouncing around too much.  Take care of it like you would your electronics and you'll have no problems.

Yea, I'm thinking about getting one of the pop ups that'll fit 3-4 guys. I think the big buddy will be most ideal. I'd love one of the 2 man thermal flips but I'd rather spend alittle less and have more room for friends to join. I did hear that the thermal flip overs get nice and toasty. I'm not sure really. Still want to do some research and check out the options. I will keep that in mind though. Your right, no sense in buying a heater that'll be overkill if I get a nice insulated hut.

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:19 PM »
If you use a 20 lb. tank with a Mr. Buddy, make sure to purchase the inline filter otherwise say goodbye to the regulator....instant anchor!

Thankyou for the heads up!

Offline x182dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2014, 02:31 PM »
If you end up getting a mr buddy heater do this.  Theres an adapter you can buy which lets you fill smaller propane containers with the 30lber.  Pretty much buy yourself a few of the tanks you need for the mr buddy.  Then just fill it up by using the 30lber tank.  Its pretty easy and a lot cheaper than buying the throw a way tanks everytime.
Catch and Release!

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2014, 11:22 PM »
Thanks bud. I'll def look into that. Buying those little guys will def get expensive. I'm all for saving money!

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2014, 01:12 AM »

If its regulated at the tank you don't need the filter, The high pressure from unregulated tank pushes plastic into the heater from the hose. you can also buy the green hose that doesn't require filter or regulator. Just bought the big buddy fast disconnect hose and a 5 lb tank  tired of paying for the 1 pound ones and don't really want to refill them but i love the heater  ;D

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2014, 09:16 AM »
I picked up the green bomb refill adaptor and I'll tell you it's a breeze to use. I have a half dozen tanks on reserve. Between the Buddy heater, grill or colman stove I use them up. Beats hauling a big tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2014, 09:25 AM »
The freeze up issues involve the 1# propane tanks refrigerating themselves into an unusable state as the fuel is drawn off.  Easiest fix is to carry a spare bottle or 2 and change them out allowing the frosted one to warm up. Best fix is to go to a 5# tank and hose option. Thee don't freeze out like the 1# bottles do. also refills are way cheaper.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.