The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Milwaukee Fuel 18/clam plate/eskimo 7" shaver auger review  (Read 8518 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
I put together the clam plate setup in the title. I was alittle worried about how it would preform. I took it out to a local pond to try out today. The pond had 7 1/2 inches of ice. I Drilled 40 holes, and had battery left with the 4amp batteries.

The setup is light. Really light compared to my Jiffy Model 30. The drill had plenty of power, and was fast drilling holes. With the shaver auger not having a center point, it worked best to put some down pressure on it when starting to drill. I'd like to say I'm impressed. Very impressed. I was a little worried about it working well, but after the test drills have no worries. I do believe that it wouldn't have any issues running an 8in auger.

If anyone is thinking about getting one, I'd give it a thumbs up. I'll have to see how it does later in the season, But initally think you could use this has your main setup. Wheel house/sleeper shacks should really consider this option.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
Re: Milwaukee Fuel 18/clam plate/eskimo 7" shaver auger review
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2014, 02:38 AM »
Thanks for the review.... :thumbsup: :icefish:
I've been following the threads about the Milwaukee and it sounds awesome!
I have a 20 volt Dewalt hammer drill I use occasionally on concrete that's been sitting idle in the garage....thinking I'll give that a try with one of my 6" Lazers this season....if it doesn't work out, maybe the Milwaukee will be on next seasons list.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2014, 04:01 AM »
Thank you for the review Agronomist at IA . I got to see/handle a Clam Plate set up recently at the gathering of Ice Shanty members from south east New York state . (18 volt Milwaukee Fuel with 6 inch Strike Master Lazer Synthetic Auger) Very light weight I would recommend most people get the auger extension,the set up I handled had it and the top of the drill only came to mid chest height on me. I'm on the short side at 5'9" . Definitely something to consider for the future. In my case will be somewhat expensive between having to purchase the plate,extension , drill and spare battery.
Steve

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2014, 04:28 AM »
I put together the clam plate setup in the title. I was alittle worried about how it would preform. I took it out to a local pond to try out today. The pond had 7 1/2 inches of ice. I Drilled 40 holes, and had battery left with the 4amp batteries.

The setup is light. Really light compared to my Jiffy Model 30. The drill had plenty of power, and was fast drilling holes. With the shaver auger not having a center point, it worked best to put some down pressure on it when starting to drill. I'd like to say I'm impressed. Very impressed. I was a little worried about it working well, but after the test drills have no worries. I do believe that it wouldn't have any issues running an 8in auger.

If anyone is thinking about getting one, I'd give it a thumbs up. I'll have to see how it does later in the season, But initally think you could use this has your main setup. Wheel house/sleeper shacks should really consider this option.
                               Did u check to see how much battery left?  On front of battery there is a white button, push and lights will come on as to power left!

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:18 AM »
Glade it's working for you. I used that drill on the plate with a 6 inch Mora last year and really liked it. Just got a 7 inch Mora to try this winter. I've always liked the 7 inch hole size.

luv2fish2

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:30 AM »
great! i got the same setup can't wait to try it i dunno wether i'll use 7" mora or a 6" lazer we're getting to much snow and wind thanks for the update  ;)

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:47 AM »
I have a 20 volt Dewalt hammer drill I use occasionally on concrete that's been sitting idle in the garage....thinking I'll give that a try with one of my 6" Lazers this season....if it doesn't work out, maybe the Milwaukee will be on next seasons list.

Your Dewalt should work great.  I used my 6" Lazer on a Clam Plate with my old 18v Porter Cable that has been my shop drill for a few years.  It cuts like a hot knife through butter and I was getting 30+- holes per battery in almost 3' of ice.   As long as you have at least 400 lbs of torque the drill will work fine any hammer drill should have more than that.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:51 AM »
Well just wanted to post, and let people know that it works and works well

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Well just wanted to post, and let people know that it works and works well

I definitely sounds like the Milwaukee Fuel 18 is the way to go when I finally wear out my old faithful drill.  But just like my cars, I'm going to run it into the ground before I replace it.  Thanks for the good information.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:57 PM »
I definitely sounds like the Milwaukee Fuel 18 is the way to go when I finally wear out my old faithful drill.  But just like my cars, I'm going to run it into the ground before I replace it.  Thanks for the good information.

Consider Rigid as well. Lifetime warranty on battery and drill.
500 holes last season thru 18" of  ice. 6" Auger. Be sure to try it with just the side handle before mounting to the clam plate.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Consider Rigid as well. Lifetime warranty on batter and drill.
500 holes last season thru 18" of  ice. 6" Auger. Be sure to try it with just the side handle before mounting to the clam plate.

Thanks, but I already have the Clam Plate and love it.  While I'm sure the side handle works OK I know from years of working in manufacturing that having the drill providing it's power through a heavy duty bearing like the Clam plate has will take a lot of load of the drill itself and transfer more torque to the auger.  I think drilling a half inch hole through a 2"x4" is harder on my drill than when I drill a 6" hole trough the ice with my bearing mounted auger. 

― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Thanks, but I already have the Clam Plate and love it.  While I'm sure the side handle works OK I know from years of working in manufacturing that having the drill providing it's power through a heavy duty bearing like the Clam plate has will take a lot of load of the drill itself and transfer more torque to the auger.  I think drilling a half inch hole through a 2"x4" is harder on my drill than when I drill a 6" hole trough the ice with my bearing mounted auger. 

I'm with ya on that. Plus I just like the auger style handles and trigger. If you had a hub style shack needing a drill to put anchors in bait buckets would be a nice setup. However, I run a flip-over. Plus the day I need to start putting a pool noodle on my auger like its a child needing floaties I'll go back to gas.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:11 PM »
I'm with ya on that. Plus I just like the auger style handles and trigger. If you had a hub style shack needing a drill to put anchors in bait buckets would be a nice setup. However, I run a flip-over. Plus the day I need to start putting a pool noodle on my auger like its a child needing floaties I'll go back to gas.

I actually thought the pool noodle was a great idea.  I might put a small section on the top part of my auger section for the unlikely event of snapping a off a bolt.  I might even dress it up with some Vermont Chrome (duct tape) to keep it on when the auger is clearing ice out of the hole.  You never can tell what might happen if you drill into some foreign object in the ice?  ; - )
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Consider Rigid as well. Lifetime warranty on batter and drill.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)
Yeah, make sure and try your new drill auger without the clam auger plate first, because busting the handle off the drills gear housing is a great way to start the ice season!!! :cookoo:

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:44 PM »
The way I see it is many of us are trying to find good ways to use lightweight electric drill power to use with our augers.  For me being retired,  I want to do it in the most affordable way I can. I like my Clam Plate with my old drill, but BaitBucket's rig is working well for him and is achieving his goal so it is also a great option.  All these solutions are good for those of us that don't have $500+ to spend on an Ion.  Plus we get to have a good drill for the shop in the summer while those more expensive specialty rigs sit in the basement waiting for next year.  ; - )
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:46 PM »

your hammer drill will be fine. I just redid my plate and put a Dewalt 995 hammer drill on it. took it out 2 days ago and tested the new drill out. it is amazing. I think this will be my main auger this year and have the gas auger as a back up or for when I fish tip ups.

one thing thou remember to set the drill to the regular drill mode and not the hammer setting.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:56 PM »
I actually thought the pool noodle was a great idea.  I might put a small section on the top part of my auger section for the unlikely event of snapping a off a bolt.  I might even dress it up with some Vermont Chrome (duct tape) to keep it on when the auger is clearing ice out of the hole.  You never can tell what might happen if you drill into some foreign object in the ice?  ; - )

It's a great idea, I was just doing a little ribbing to bait bucket. I'm sure you don't need the drill plate, but it is a nice safe way to make sure your auger doesn't come loose and go down the hole. These setups are just nice and light.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!

Offline icehook17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2014, 02:01 AM »
Glad it works well with a 7" auger.  @)

Gonna go with an 8" mora, already have a clamplate, and getting a Milwaukee drill for xmas.  ;D

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:37 AM »
Yeah, make sure and try your new drill auger without the clam auger plate first, because busting the handle off the drills gear housing is a great way to start the ice season!!! :cookoo:

500 holes thru 18" of ice last season and this didnt happen.. In fact, the only drill i have seen it happen to is the Milwaukee lol.. Could it? Sure.. Could your drill also burn up with either setup? Sure.. So if your worried about hurting your drill you should probably leave it in the box.

Exactly why I have it on there =)
Its a backup in case the primary method of securing the auger to the drill fails. Or if that little Wing bolt that attaches the auger to the extension comes lose. Im all set with losing my 100$ auger because i was to proud to use a pool noodle lol.

I also use the drill for anchors in my flip over, which i fish out of anytime im out without the kids or not doing an overnight trip on the ice.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Hi BaitBucket, been a while. I still can't fiqure out why your so against the Clam Plate. To each his own. You already know I love the plate.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:09 AM »
in his previous posts, it's lighter without it and without the plate, it can actually be used as a drill. if you don't need a drill, then plate is ok. this works for Baitbucket and others. I you are happy with what you use, great. It is just another option. I plan on trying it without the plate first to see if it works for me. if not, i'll get the plate.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Don't use "the little wing nut" on my auger plate as it has a allen screw that is flush when its in, plan on putting lock tite on it also!!

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Be careful, these high torque drills are very hard to control with the screw on handle. This is the weak point in this setup. As for using the drill for other things, taking it apart is the down side of the Clam Plate. I ordered a stand alone drill on Amazon since I alreadyhad the batteries and charger,$109.00 with free shipping.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Be careful, these high torque drills are very hard to control with the screw on handle. This is the weak point in this setup. As for using the drill for other things, taking it apart is the down side of the Clam Plate. I ordered a stand alone drill on Amazon since I alreadyhad the batteries and charger,$109.00 with free shipping.
                     I done the same $99 free shipping!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Be careful, these high torque drills are very hard to control with the screw on handle.

Thought u said you never tried it with the side handle?

Anyway, I have had ZERO issue controlling the drill with just the side handle. In fact last season my 5yr old daughter punched a hole with it lol

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2014, 12:33 PM »
500 holes thru 18" of ice last season and this didnt happen.. In fact, the only drill i have seen it happen to is the Milwaukee lol.. Could it? Sure.. Could your drill also burn up with either setup? Sure.. So if your worried about hurting your drill you should probably leave it in the box.

I have seen plenty of pictures of broken drill cases/handles ALL brands. The Milwaukee fuel is even more susceptible to this since it makes the most torque and more RPM than any other 18v on the market today. I ran the Milwaukee fuel on a clam plate with 7" mora most of last season with ZERO issues. My advice is don't take a chance, run the clam plate. BaitBucket, once again your posting on something you don't even own. This post was a review about the Milwaukee fuel and clam plate. You don't have either!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:33 PM »
I have seen plenty of pictures of broken drill cases/handles ALL brands. The Milwaukee fuel is even more susceptible to this since it makes the most torque and more RPM than any other 18v on the market today. I ran the Milwaukee fuel on a clam plate with 7" mora most of last season with ZERO issues. My advice is don't take a chance, run the clam plate. BaitBucket, once again your posting on something you don't even own. This post was a review about the Milwaukee fuel and clam plate. You don't have either!!!

Every time you use your drill on the ice your taking a chance. And your more worried about the possibility of the handle breaking than the drill burning up lol.. There are certainly more reports about drills burning up. If you cant handle the drill with the side arm you better hope you dont hook into any fish over 3 lbs. Might break your wrist/rip your arm off.

And once again I tell you, I owned one. I didnt see the benefit after using it and sold it..

The benefits of the side handle far outweigh the benefits of the plate..
Here are a few:
Lighter
Cheaper
Easier Storage
Easier Transport
Drill is removable
Multipurpose on the ice

The clam plate looks cool. Thats about it

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:41 PM »
I love how these things always turn into a pissing match. Waaaah. Mine's bigger than yours is. Waaaaaaah. Anyhow, I'm sold on the plate and the Fuel drill. Just looks a lot more comfortable to me. I don't doubt that other methods work just fine. As long as I don't have to cut holes by hand, I'm good.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:47 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Agron, whats that whole setup weigh with the battery?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.