Author Topic: DIY Jaw Jacker  (Read 171348 times)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
DIY Jaw Jacker
« on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:24 PM »
Here's my extremely simple version of a jaw jacker. 1x2" scrap wood, 1" inside to 1" outside pvc 90* elbow, cut down 3" stainless 10-32 panhead machine screw with some washers and wing nut to hold the pvc elbow to the wood, screw in hook, piece of trotline string and 12ga copper for a trigger. I coated it with poly after taking these pictures.

There are multiple holes to mount the pvc elbow to accommodate different length rods. Current rod is an old Frabill 26" Arctic Fire light action with old Shakespeare Prius 20 reel I had laying around

Catchin' Fish

Offline isoseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: DIY Jaw Jacker
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Simplicity at it's best, I'm sure it will catch fish.

Nicely done. ;D
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:38 PM »
May I offer some help here Mat ?

Remove the hook !  YIKES !    :woot:

Adjust the trigger/bend to a fine set/release.

A foot long piece of "trail ribbon"  10"or 12" folded over "slack line" between the two guides nearest the reel.   This lets them run and get the hook well into their mouth before, BANG !     

Great results from these devices.

Well done.     ;)2

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:44 PM »
thanks guys, an those are much appreciated tips! I have a heavy duty paperclip to use for a final trigger design, just didn't have it out in the garage with me tonight lol! The copper works ok but I assume something lighter would work even better.

The slack idea is interesting - does the line still stay taught on the trigger with the slack?

Catchin' Fish

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:51 PM »
I seen guys use a wooden  bobber between the eyes to keep a little tension on the line

Offline isoseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:52 PM »
As I am not handy with tools to make my own hook-setter, I just use either my Automatic Fisherman or the new Jawjacker.

So between the 1st and 2nd guide closest to the reel, I use a slip-float to give it some slack by letting it dangle. However you do to give that little bit of slack, the line near the trigger will be taut.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:57 PM »
Ok that makes complete sense now...old timers around this area used to place a large shirt button on their line between the 1st 2 guides as a strike indicator for catfish. A hard hit could produce a "clack" of the button against the rod blank

Catchin' Fish

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:59 PM »
Yup, it stays tight on/over the trigger. 

Did you visualize the slack as being only between the two guides NEXT to the reel ? 

And, my reference to trail tape may have been misleading.

Surveyors tape, loggers tape, the rolls of brightly colored stuff.    Folded over the line, after firing, remove it, maybe to a pocket on a windy day, unless you need a run to warm up, ha.

How's that ?

Careless with the floats, you can become very busy trying to remove it/them AND fight a big fish, haha.  Or just leave them on to tangle the reel. Don't ask me how I know that.     :roflmao:

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:13 PM »
Gator I'm on the same page and I would end up getting the bobber tangled as well hahaha :)

Catchin' Fish

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:21 PM »
Ha, I knew we were on the same page, Mat, the moment I saw that Frabill Recon mod.      :thumbsup:

They may not find me handsome but for sure handy. LOL     :roflmao:

Now, for some ice......

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:46 AM »
Great build! Will be making a few this weekend!
Out of curiosity where do you set your drag with these. Leave it loose for the fish to run but tight enough that it doesn't pull when the trigger sets? Or just leave it tight?
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:01 AM »
After making oh about 10 different ones last year made of wood and PVC I ended up with this simple one.

<===Lefty===

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:28 AM »
Boy, that looks simple enough, good job Lefty.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Boy, that looks simple enough, good job Lefty.
$2 Holder and one Steel leader. Then I had some wire to make the Triggers with.
<===Lefty===

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:36 AM »
That trigger isn't touching the ground is it? I can't tell from the pic.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:51 AM »
I've been making those rascals for years. My early models were pretty laughable looking back. Some had bent wire triggers, then I went to mousetraps for triggers. They all worked after a fashion, some better than others but all were fun to invent. The best trigger setups I've found can be had on Ebay. Type in "hook setter" and you'll find these plastic jobs that you can mount to your own rod holders and cross pieces with a little ingenuity. Sensitive enough for light biting trout. I'd post a picture but I don't have a digital camera and wouldn't know how to post it if I did.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:11 AM »
That trigger isn't touching the ground is it? I can't tell from the pic.
Yea the picture isn't clear but no it isn't touching the ground.
<===Lefty===

Offline tracker15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:39 PM »
These are great builds.  Thanks for sharing the ideas.

Lefty, I have a few of those rod holders. I just grabbed a couple of leaders and made triggers out of the tails of a bottom bouncer.  Seems to work pretty well here on my desk.  I may have to test it this weekend.

Offline Oncorhynchus Clarki

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2014, 01:09 PM »
nothing better than a simple rig that works!

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Nice and simple!  bquick had a thread on his build a year or 2 ago.  Here's the one I made from his email to me.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:38 PM »
I have mine made exactly like yours matt. Works just fine, no need to change anything.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:57 PM »
Thanks guys! Love all of the ideas and shared info on this site!

Catchin' Fish

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Alright Lefty have you been copying my design or have I been copying yours ?  I made one using the same rod holder and design just a little different materials.  Instead of steel leader I use a piece of dacron line and a split ring on the trigger end.  The only difference is I was afraid of damaging the tip top with the trigger.  So I copied the jawjacker using a piece of dacron line and another split ring I put the split ring on the line then tied a knot in the line forming a small loop.  I pass one end of the loop through the side brace on the tip top then pass the split ring back through the loop and pull it tight.  I then use that split ring with the trigger.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Here's one i did year before last and it works great. Used a hanger for the trigger and a 12in 30lb steel leader for the line. I did change the trigger where the line lays on the end from the one in the pic. Looks more like seismecs now

Here'e a whole thread about them in the equipment section

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=232809.0

there used to be more pics in that thread
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2014, 12:25 AM »
For some oddly reason out here in the land of ten thousand laws (MN), those are illegal. I called dnr and asked why they were. The response I got back from the lady was" because it's the law". I then asked why is it the law, she said she didn't know and told me again it's just the law. Just dumb if you ask me.
KCCO

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:13 AM »
I've got several home made ones that I've used for 2 seasons & the one thing I've added to them is a short leader & a small lag screw to anchor them to the ice after loosing one through the hole.
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Alright Lefty have you been copying my design or have I been copying yours ?  I made one using the same rod holder and design just a little different materials.  Instead of steel leader I use a piece of dacron line and a split ring on the trigger end.  The only difference is I was afraid of damaging the tip top with the trigger.  So I copied the jawjacker using a piece of dacron line and another split ring I put the split ring on the line then tied a knot in the line forming a small loop.  I pass one end of the loop through the side brace on the tip top then pass the split ring back through the loop and pull it tight.  I then use that split ring with the trigger.
I probably took your idea and simplified it. To adjust to the bite, lighter or heavier I just make the trigger longer or shorter. The Longer it is the lighter the bite to trigger it.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:14 AM »
Looks like I took ilarcher's idea to make mine. If you look on page 9 of that thread you will see he made the first one like mine. Thanks ilarcher!
<===Lefty===

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2014, 09:29 AM »
I probably took your idea and simplified it. To adjust to the bite, lighter or heavier I just make the trigger longer or shorter. The Longer it is the lighter the bite to trigger it.

the longer the trigger the more line has to be pulled in order to release from the rod tip as well. A lighter wire with a short rod tip end to it and smooth fulcrum (like a split ring or swivel) should help too. I need to play around with some paperclips lol

Catchin' Fish

Offline JoeB1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:24 PM »
After making oh about 10 different ones last year made of wood and PVC I ended up with this simple one.

After viewing your post I made one the same way.  Simple and effective I hope. I've never used one to fish with and can't wait to try it out. Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.