The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Clam Auger Drill Plate  (Read 1332 times)

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam Auger Drill Plate
« on: Nov 19, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Does anyone use the Clam drill plate on their auger? How easy to use? Does the charge last a day's worth? Thinking about giving myself an early Christmas.. Thanks.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Clam Auger Drill Plate
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2014, 03:00 PM »
What auger do you plan on using with it? And what drill do you plan on attaching it too?

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2014, 03:04 PM »
I have a 6 inch Strikemaster Lazer hand auger, and the drill I am not sure about.  Would be willing to go buy a nice 18v however.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Go with the Milwaukee fuel 2604-22, reviews say they are the best!  Im sure others will suffice.

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I use my Clam plate with a 5" Lazer auger and a Rigid 18V Hammer drill (not in hammer mode). Lots of torque, durable, good warrantee on the drill. Get at leat one 4ah battery.

People who have used mine have been sold - also were perturbed last year that they couldn't find any left out there.

Dave

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:52 AM »
Thanks for all the input. I have seen the standard drill adapters on the ice (the ones without the plate and handles), and have watched people spend more time trying to drill a straight hole than actually fish. Think I might pull the trigger on the Clam plate. Thanks again!

Offline Dougie51869

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A day of fishin, is better than any other day
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:09 AM »
I have the lazer 6 inch with the plate. I use a masterforce 20v drill and it works like a champ. I broke my arm before the season last year and not having insurance I just sucked it up the best I could. I tried drilling manually and just couldn't do it. I recommend this swtup to anyone and everyone. Best buy ever.  :tipup:

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:11 AM »
I have the lazer 6 inch with the plate. I use a masterforce 20v drill and it works like a champ. I broke my arm before the season last year and not having insurance I just sucked it up the best I could. I tried drilling manually and just couldn't do it. I recommend this swtup to anyone and everyone. Best buy ever.  :tipup:

Dougie - Do you think 20v is the right size drill? Would going less be a problem?

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Dougie - Do you think 20v is the right size drill? Would going less be a problem?

You want a drill with a lot of torque. When I purchased my drill 3-4 years ago I went with the 18v Rigid Hammer Drill. It was the one that I found to have the most torque. What sold me on it was the lifetime warranty.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2014, 11:36 AM »
                     Go with a brushless drill from what I've read!!

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:25 AM »
What do you guys think of this? Dewalt 20v cordless drill with 2 lithium ion batteries, charger and soft case included all for $99 at Lowe's today. It is not a brushless drill, but do you think this would do fine wwith the setup of a 6 inch Lazer and clam plate?

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:31 AM »
What do you guys think of this? Dewalt 20v cordless drill with 2 lithium ion batteries, charger and soft case included all for $99 at Lowe's today. It is not a brushless drill, but do you think this would do fine wwith the setup of a 6 inch Lazer and clam plate?

How many lbs of torque does it say the drill has?

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:46 AM »
How many lbs of torque does it say the drill has?

Here's the page on Lowe's.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-12-in-Cordless-Drill-with-Soft-Case/50040962

My concern is that would a hammer or impact drill be better off?

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:59 AM »
I use a 7" laser with that same drill and it did great all last season. Just might need more or bigger batteries.

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:04 AM »
I use a 7" laser with that same drill and it did great all last season. Just might need more or bigger batteries.

Well, I held off on the drill. I was afraid it would be underpowered, but the employee helping me suggested that lithium ion batteries do not hold up in the cold as well (according to contractors she knows). I decided I will do more research, and maybe try to find a hammer for a fair price.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.