Author Topic: Pelican Lake  (Read 8880 times)

Offline Pops123

• IceShanty Rookie
Pelican Lake
« on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Has anyone been down to Ninette for perch yet?

How thick is the ice? And are they biting?

I was looking to go there this weekend.

Pops

Offline thebigfresh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pelican Lake
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:20 AM »
word on the street is there is over 5 inches at pelican and it is being fished by walk ons.  I haven't heard any fish reports yet but the fishing was still great in the fall.
"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't"
George S. Patton

Offline thebigfresh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:21 AM »
I will be there early next week
"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't"
George S. Patton

Offline Pops123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Finally made it out on Monday. A good 8" of ice off Manhatten beach, too bad the fish didn't cooperate.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:29 PM »
 ??? are the perch numbers up ? haven't been there in years and after the freeze out ? Used to be fantastic for perch and monster pike
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline healthylake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:12 AM »
The Healthy Lake Committee will be hosting our second annual ice fishing derby in the northern basin of Pelican Lake on Saturday, March 7th. Registration begins at 8:00 am and will be located in the Terry Fox Park parking lot in Ninette, MB. Fishing will be from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm with prizes to be awarded after that. Entry fee is $30 for two lines, and kids 15 and under are free. Hot lunch and beverages will be available. More info will be coming soon on our website www.healthylake.ca. Email [email protected] with any questions. Hope to see you there!

Offline Pres 27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Any more info on if they are biting and ice thickness?

Offline fishin_guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:50 PM »
Has anyone been to Pelican with an underwater camera? I have a friend who's buddy has the LX-9 and said the bottom 2 feet had massive amounts of bugs swimming around.  We heard the bite is slow and wonder if it is from these bugs to feed on or what.

Offline Pops123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:53 PM »
For out for a few hours this afternoon. The bite was slow and the ice is 14 to 16 inches thick near the marina.

Offline tk10fire

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm baaaack let the fishing begin
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Yup out there yesterday too a bit slow yup we had ice at least 12" at strathcona point but worth the drive always good to get out
And ya ya I know it's only a pike but I love em
Tim

Offline sammy72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2014, 12:31 AM »
very slow near ninette 1 small pike and 1 bite off,marking lots of fish,slow withal bait

Offline Fishinggood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Has anyone been to Pelican with an underwater camera? I have a friend who's buddy has the LX-9 and said the bottom 2 feet had massive amounts of bugs swimming around.  We heard the bite is slow and wonder if it is from these bugs to feed on or what.

I was just at Ninette and had the camera down.
You buddy is correct about the huge number of bettles. Endless numbers of them in the water. I have no idea if fish avoid them or not, but I had the camera down for 4 hours and only seen 3 jack and a perch.

Offline Plainsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:41 PM »
Still pretty slow today. One 32' pike and a small perch and a small walleye between three guys and 6 hrs on the ice. Pike passed up live minnows and large smelts and nailed an aggressively jigged small rattlin' rap.
We do not go into the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home. --Nessmuck

Offline walleye34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:34 AM »
Was out yesterday,  lots of action on small walleye only one keeper though.  Probably caught 20 eight inch walleye
A bad day on a frozen lake is still better than a good day doing ANYTHING else  :o

Offline Plainsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:05 AM »
With -2 in the forecast for the next couple days I NEED to find time to get out. With the kids out of school, it's good I bought a bigger tent for this year!!
We do not go into the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home. --Nessmuck

Offline walleye34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 PM »
Any news on the bite?
A bad day on a frozen lake is still better than a good day doing ANYTHING else  :o

Offline volksdriver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Fished there a couple days ago....west side just south of town, drove on....group of 7 ...we managed one eater size walleye, a "bite off" pike (??)...and saw one small pike caught by a fisherman near us...... had more than a few lookers show up on the flashers, but couldn't coax the bite!

Offline sammy72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:53 AM »
Any views on why pelican has been so slow this year.Are the fish in one specific area,the clarity of the water,over abundance of food ,overfishing last year when the bite was hot or the ignorance of many who took numerous fish in the 24" and up class.As a group of 4 in the spring we caught over 70 walleye in one day,releasing 28 over 24" inches and kept less than our limit of 14" to 17" inch eaters.I don't think that conservation type of fishing went on too often.Maybe a slot limit needs to be in effect to ensure population growth or more COs in the area when the fish are really hitting and large numbers of people are out enjoying the great fishing that pelican lake can offer.Any thoughts on this.Either way a day in the shack is better than a day wasted on the couch.

Offline walleye34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:19 PM »
Best guess would be over abundance of food,  there are shrimp and bugs everywhere, which were not last winter.  Slot limit in my mind is not wise for pelican as every season poses the threat of winter kill so you might as well eat them while they are there.  Hopefully the aeration efforts eliminate this possibility but I am skeptical. Big lake for the amount of aeration going on. 

Offline MBRaz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:12 AM »
I'm going to be in Killarney for work Monday night and Tuesday, is there any point in fishing Pelican after dark (other than its better to be on a frozen lake than in a hotel room)?

Also, I know there's aeration, and I'd like to avoid that ice, but I'm not sure where it is. Any advice on where to avoid would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Pops123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2015, 01:35 PM »
You can try balmy beach south of Ninette on the west side. Fish a couple hundred yards out and seventy feet south of the ice ridge. Or you can go on at Ninette, the aeration is on your right side and well marked. The walleye seem to have been hitting from dusk until 6:30. Live minnows available at the gas station in Ninette with a portion going to the healthy lake committee.

Pops

Offline walleye34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:18 PM »
All reports coming in are slow slow and very slow

Offline Plainsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:59 AM »
We were out there early last week and it was really weird. The water was clear enough we could see our baits about 11-12' down and had lots of lookers. All day we saw jumbo perch, a few small walleye and lots of fair sized jack come cruising by to check out our live minnows, stare at them and in a few cases even bump up against them but couldn't trigger a strike!!
Tried smelts, rattlin' raps, live minnows on micro jigs, even spinners but only 4 fish on the ice all day! Probably had at least 5 lookers for every bite, and that's the ones we saw. I'm sure there was lots more just cruising by.
Those are some overfed fish!!
Frustrating, but still better than being at work, and we didn't get skunked!

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Years ago salties were the ticket , nice shiners that glitter rather then the minnows being sold these days .Tried live there once and after that it was salties every time  half shiners for the perch , the walleye are fairly new so maybe the dynamics have been altered by there introduction ? 

Offline healthylake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2015, 03:38 PM »
The Healthy Lake Committee will be hosting our second annual ice fishing derby in the northern basin of Pelican Lake on Saturday, March 7th. We are doing pre-registration online this year (don't have to pay until the derby, we'd just like people's names ahead of time to cut down on check-in time the morning of). Derby day: Check-in is at 8:00 am and will be located on the ice just off the Terry Fox Park parking lot in Ninette, MB. Fishing will be from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm with prizes to be awarded after that. Entry fee is $30, which gives you two lines/holes, and kids 15 and under are free. Hot lunch and beverages will be available for purchase. Over $5000 worth of prizes will be awarded! Bring out the entire family for a fun day of fishing! All proceeds will go towards the Healthy Lake Committee’s current and future aeration projects in Pelican Lake. For more information about the fishing derby and to pre-register, or for more information about the Healthy Lake Committee’s aeration projects, go to http://www.healthylake.ca.

Offline sammy72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2015, 08:29 PM »
Hoping to go to ninette  tomorrow.Any reports from the lake and remember  the derby on march 7th.A good one to take the family to.Good derby,great cause.

Offline walleye34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:07 PM »
Was out yesterday,  slow....odd jack, no perch a few very small walleye. 

Offline sammy72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:56 PM »
out sunday ,1 pike , 1 10 inch perch ,5 hrs ,3 people slow

Offline Plainsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:04 AM »
Anyone been out to Pelican lately? Hoping for one last trip before the ice is gone. Still safe to drive out?

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:32 AM »
I have to wonder if the practice of always stocking bodies of water that had great perch / pike fishing with Pickerel doesn't have a effect overall on the dynamics of that fishery ? I'm not sure , but these days every body of water seems to get pickerel dumped into them ! sad when you had such great Jumbo Perch / awesome pike lakes like Pelican , they all go through the good and bad years / winter deaths etc , but they bounced back and just got better , then they introduced a second predator and seemingly everything changed ?? .............Thoughts ??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.