Author Topic: Vexilar fish phone  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Derek2012

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar fish phone
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Does anyone have any reviews? (Good or bad) or has anyone used one? I'm thinking about getting one but haven't heard much about them. Don't know if I should invest the money in it or get something different???

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vexilar fish phone
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 10:45 PM »
just got mine this august but have had a chance to play with it in the house. my first thoughts is that it is a nice unit. I like the fact that it has the video out on it so I can hook it up to my video camera and record underwater footage. the picture quality appeared to be nice. there was one set up at the Hardwater Expo this past weekend and I connected to it via my phone and did a test on the range of the unit. I was able to still get signal all away across the show floor(about a football fields length). I will post a full review at the end of this ice season.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline coreyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:26 AM »
I bought one last year. It's not bad. One thing I don't like is that it will not record a continuous file. Other than that the quality is decent. Here's my youtube videos from it:

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:18 PM »
I love mine.  It can make a slow day fishing entertaining and sometimes even make it a good day since you can see how the fish are reacting to different presentations.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:01 PM »
Howz the draw on battery life? Prob. use a cheap tablet w/ it.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:09 PM »
I also have not been able to use on ice yet, but, had it set up in the house to test.  Running on my tablet well in excess of 8 hours and still battery not drained.  Battery life is not an issue.

Offline coreyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:33 AM »
You'll find, as we all have that your viewing device will run out of juice before the camera does.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:16 PM »
I also have not been able to use on ice yet, but, had it set up in the house to test.  Running on my tablet well in excess of 8 hours and still battery not drained.  Battery life is not an issue.

Wow. I have a galaxy tablet and couldn't dream of getting 8 hrs. out of it, nevermind freezing temps. on the ice.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Wow. I have a galaxy tablet and couldn't dream of getting 8 hrs. out of it, nevermind freezing temps. on the ice.
Which one do you have?  I have a 7" galaxy tab 2nd generation.  Next to no apps installed and auto screen brightness set to on.  It has no cell carrier service on it, which in addition to the gps setting, are major battery killers.  8 hrs plus and still could have kept going a bit.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Tab 3.0. Power saving mode, gps off. It is loaded w/ apps. tho'...

Offline Iceman05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2014, 04:38 PM »
I fished with a buddy who has one last year. I don't like watching with a phone as it pulls on your eyes a lot. He uses a tablet and it seems much better. I don't have anything but the old ipad generation1. I looked for and found something that works with the good for nothing else ipad. The Marcum Pancam. It does everything the fishphone camera does but because it works with the ipad I went with it. Not bashing either one they are both awesome.

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2014, 05:31 PM »
The fishphone works great with an ipad.

Offline Iceman05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:32 AM »
I can't get my ipad generation1 to work with it.

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:48 PM »
I didn't realize it didn't work with the 1st gen. Mine is only 2 years old but I assumed it worked with all ipads as long as they were updated.

Offline Iceman05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Nope. Last update to ipad 1 was 5.01    the Vex needs 6.  The Marcum requires 4.3.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.