Author Topic: Feedback on the Pro View ducer  (Read 2899 times)

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Feedback on the Pro View ducer
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 05:16 PM »
My tri-beam is toast and Vexilar is no longer making it.  Since I fish shallow water and deep water, I believe I will have to get a 19 degree & 9 degree.  That is unless the pro view is as advertised.  I'm wondering if the gain not only increases cone width, but also adds additional noise?  With the gain up for shallow water, are targets giant blobs with noise all around?

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Re: Feedback on the Pro View ducer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 06:15 PM »
You are right on target about the pro view. Im really disappointed with it. I think it would be good in deep water but 1-20 FOW not so much IMO. You adjust the cone angle by adjusting the gain which in turn screws up everything. I am going to order a 19 after talking to Vexilar last week. I wish they still made the tri beam and it was reliable. They used to have a dual beam to but now only have 9,12,19 & pro view. Vexilar said there will be no more tribeams unless they can find someone to build them to last. Way to many returns. I would call Vexilar they will replace your tri beam still for free or at least that's what they told me last week.
 Good luck!
  Matt

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Good luck. I hope it works for u. My flx 28 does not have a s cable. But I can not really even move the gain much in 10' or my jig is huge and blows up everything else to. Basically u r stuck with a 9 in shallow water and Pat at Vexilar agreed. Now if they could make the gain and cone angle two separate controls it would be perfect IMO.

I'll give a readout in a day or so I'll be in 5-6 ft. of water running a fl-8 and a S cable on it

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2014, 10:35 PM »
I personally like the 12 degree transducer. it is a nice middle of the road between the 9 and 19 degree transducers. I have 2 proviews and have yet to try them out. I might try them but if I don't like them I will get rid of them and get a couple 12 degrees instead.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:43 AM »
I have not used mine yet but have been told by people with lots of experience with them - 20fow or less go with low power mode....

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:51 AM »
I will try this. Thanks. I wonder why Vexilar didn't recommend that?

I have not used mine yet but have been told by people with lots of experience with them - 20fow or less go with low power mode....

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:07 AM »
low power mode and pro view FTW.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2014, 12:25 PM »
I have the pro view on a fl20.low power mode in shallow water works good in less than 20 ft.i like the proview so far and rarely turn the gain up in shallow or deep water.the only problem I have  its bigger than the 19 0r 12 degree ducer and when using a 5 inch auger I have to pull the ducer out everytime i have a fish on.no big deal though.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Thanks for everyone who replied.  It is a bit frustrating that I can't replace the tri-beam.  I can't imagine there isn't a way to improve the manufacturing process and get this ducer back on the market.  For the different ways I fish, it was ideal.  Vexilar is replacing mine, but only had the pro, 12, and 19 for replacement options.  As pointed out above, the dual beam would have at least been a better option. 

I had a suspicion that low power mode might help the pro in shallow water.  But, in low power, is the unit reducing the cone listening area as well?  When I get my replacement, I look forward to testing it in different situations.  At least for Laker fishing, I know it will work well.

BTW, I noticed references to the s-cable.  You only need that cable if you have an FL-8.  With a 12/18/20/22/28, you only need to set your unit to "LP".  It is already built into the unit.  I think the FLX-28 has 2 different low power settings.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2014, 04:32 PM »
I called Vex today and asked Pat about using the pro view on low power mode if u can expand the cone without blowing everything up. He said he has never been asked that question. He is going to ask the owner tomorrow so I am going to call him tomorrow afternoon. I will post what he finds out.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:35 PM »
low power mode and pro view FTW.

This. I've used mine anywhere from 4-32' and have not had a problem, I only use low power mode when I'm under 10 FOW.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:52 PM »
I used a Proview on a 28 all last season and in a variety of water depths.  Low power setting is key in shallow water.  I was skeptical at first (I had a tri-beam before the Proview) but I feel like I have the Proview figured out and it has been a good ducer for me.  That being said, the shallowest water I am in is about 11 feet.  I don't really fish under that depth. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Mine works fine but what I don't think a lot of people realize is that transducer is made to adjust from an 8 up to a 40 cone angle. How u adjust to a greater cone angle u need to turn up your gain. I think its an awesome concept but why can they not make two separate controls one for gain and one for cone angle? With your std 9,12,19 you can adjust the gain and it doesn't change your cone angle.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Holehopper when u r in low power mode can u adjust ur gain up pretty high without a bunch of interference? I never tried using the low power setting and either has Vexilar.
Thanks
Matt

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2014, 06:04 PM »
you can use the S cable with a FL-18 etc  Vexilar even talks about it
No doubt you can use it with any of the units but I don't understand why you would.  As far as I understood it, it is a resistor that drops power of the transducer by 50%.  I thought that was the same as the Low Power mode on other units.  Can you explain why the s-cable would be used on units other than the fl-8?  I wouldn't have sold my s-cable with my fl-8se if I could have continued using it.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Test drove my new  28 today 6 ft of water had to turn gain down to nothing     Then switched to low power.   Worked awesome.  Very happy with   first time out

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:34 PM »
Holehopper when u r in low power mode can u adjust ur gain up pretty high without a bunch of interference? I never tried using the low power setting and either has Vexilar.
Thanks
Matt

Yes.  Depending on the conditions, I've had it as high as 5 or 6 in low power.  I don't really know what sort of cone angle that translates to but I have had it that high. 

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Thanks that sounds good. I will be trying that as soon as we get some solid ice.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Any fish?

quote author=Old Goat link=topic=294594.msg3082186#msg3082186 date=1416449184]
Back from testing in shallow water with the S cable proview iceducer and a FL-8   works great could keep fiska green no problem jesus it was cold out there the red ball boots passed there test also.
[/quote]

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for the offer lol but I think it was oyld take more than a golf ball retriever lol

quote author=Old Goat link=topic=294594.msg3082241#msg3082241 date=1416451791]
74 Redone if your close to Madison Take a Drive up there is a place here that's great to test your units transducer you can be in 3- 25 ft. of water 1 ft. off shore I'll supply the Vex extension cable and the golfball retriever for you.
[/quote]

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Back from testing in shallow water with the S cable proview iceducer and a FL-8   works great could keep fiska green no problem jesus it was cold out there the red ball boots passed there test also.
This is nice to hear.  Wish I could be standing on hard water as well!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Had a chance to use the 28 with the pro view last week for the first time this season.  I fished in 17 FOW with mud bottom and put the Vex on low power.  I was able to turn the gain up to 5 with no problems.  I don't know what that translates to for cone angle but I didn't have clutter.  One thing I forgot to do was turn the "auto range" off when I went to low power.  When you are on low power, you need to pick the depth range manually.  I went to the 20 foot range and everything worked great.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Thanks Holehopper! I look forward to trying mine out. Should work like a charm. I just think it's crazy that vex did not know about switching to low power in 20' or less.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2014, 02:33 PM »
Just got a Pro View for my old FL-8. Sounds like I'm gonna need the S cable also as I fish a lot of shallow weedy waters, especially early season. Can't wait to see how it works.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2014, 09:45 PM »
One other thing to note, if you are using the proview on a 28, if you go to low power you lose your zoom.  Typically not a big deal as you are probably in shallow water anyway but if you are in a little deeper water, just bear in mind you won't have zoom. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.