Author Topic: Rigging up a high speed transducer for ice.  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Bartx3

• IceShanty Rookie
Rigging up a high speed transducer for ice.
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:19 PM »
I'm just looking for some suggestions, or some instruction on how to not buy an iceducer. I have a LOWRANCE elite 4x portable pack I use on my kayak in the summer. How do/would you plumb it up to shoot straight down? I'm thinking attach it to a stick and and have two cross bars to hold it over the hole. Dedicate one hole for the transducer. Seems simple enough. What do you think?

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rigging up a high speed transducer for ice.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Did you try to search on here? I dont remember where I saw it, but there were multiple examples of how people were doing it. Best I saw was using the cord and ziptying it back to itself in a fashion that would keep it horizontal, then hanging it in the hole with a float or an arm.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:20 PM »
i rigged one up on a pole once worked good then i found that you could just buy the ducer works alot better cost more but i think i was worth it i believe this will work for your elite x4
http://www.cabelas.com/product/LOWRANCE-PTI-WBL-HDS-ELITE-HDI-ICE-TRANSDUCER/1932259.uts?productVariantId=3942530&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=38-3206744-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03958324&rid=20
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Did you try to search on here? I dont remember where I saw it, but there were multiple examples of how people were doing it. Best I saw was using the cord and ziptying it back to itself in a fashion that would keep it horizontal, then hanging it in the hole with a float or an arm.

Here's the one you were thinking of:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=294143.0

Here's a more complicated way to do it:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=284517.0

Here's a long thread with tons of info:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=94590.0

If that isn't enough, just search "transducer" on here. There's a lot of info and ideas on here. Good luck!

Offline Bartx3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Thanks!

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:52 PM »
tried to rig one once.... F that!!  well worth the extra $$ for the ice-ducer.  trying to keep it perfectly horizontal and not pick up the ice ring sucked. and having to mess with it every time you moved holes was even worse.  Got the ice-ducer and put a 4" piece of pool noodle on it and ziptied it. floats nice and easy to move.
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline inHISgrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:35 PM »
don't be a cheap ass buy the right tool for the job.  A real ice fishing graph will always help you catch more fish.
I LIKE FISHING BUT LIKE CATCHING EVEN MORE

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I tried the X4 pro on ice last year, I remember it did NOT like being cold.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2014, 11:16 PM »
Look at the main Shanty forum thread about hanging a skimmer puck for ice fishing. In a photo or two you can see how to hang your transducer. Keep that zip tie a bit loose, so you can adjust your transducer to shoot straight down, or maybe off at an angle if you want to scout to the side. I have never found the need for a foam float, because without one the whole rig hangs only 1/4 from the side of the hole. You don't have to drill a second hole for the transducer, and unless you're on bluegills, the fish don't get caught up in any cables hanging below the ice.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.