Author Topic: South Park Ice Update  (Read 3380 times)

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
South Park Ice Update
« on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Sunday we left in the afternoon to check the ice conditions at 11mile and Antero. There is Ice at the mile but not safe yet it is up through Cross Creek area and the wind in south park is keeping the ice from forming up. So we headed over to Antero to find the lake FULLY CAPED with about 2 and 1/2 inches of ice broke out the 2 rods we took with us not really expecting to do anything and started to fish at about 3:45pm. It didn't take long and the first fish through the ice for me hit and was a surprise to me on the size a 25 inch plus fat rainbow around 6 plus pounds the followed up with some nice fish in the 14 to 17 inch class. Got dark went home. Headed back up today on Monday ice was 3 inches and fishing was great all day nothing real big like the day before all fish were 12 too 18 inches but lots of them . over 50 fish between the 3 of us . Be careful out on the ice , pressure ridge started to form from the point on the south side of the dam running up through the middle of the lake and it looked like  another ridge was starting to form from the south side moving north . Take your safety gear use a spud bar to check as you go and be safe. Most of the fish were caught dead sticking with small Antero Special jigs and Berkley Pink lady teaser tails tipped with a meal worm. The Antero Special jig is a jig we make in the shop and are available here.

Good fishing all and tight lines

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
Re: Soth Park Ice Update
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Thanks for the update Waterwhipper.  A lot of people wouldn't have shared that information but you did and your effort was rewarded!  Well done.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Sounds like some great early ice action, waterwhipper!  Thanks for the update and info.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Fish Wolf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2014, 10:26 AM »
had to double check the date of the post, I'm surprised the Ant was capped. Way to brave the death ice. maybe 4-5 years ago Antero capped really early and a few weeks later reopened up so be careful.
Thinking about friday anyone else going. My ice fishing buddys have to work :P Getting to old to go on death ice by myself . The whole experience is funner  if someone is there to throw you a rope if you go through  ;)

Offline gnatboy911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Great report. Thanks for. The info!

Offline milehighfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:53 AM »
thanks for the update, time to get the ice gear ready. :P

Offline one_eye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:15 PM »
Thanks for the update time to get ready to hit the ice.

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:20 PM »
Good report and thanks! You deserved that first big trout @)

I'm tempted to hit it Sunday now and from the looks of the temps and other weather factors which will go unmentioned, the ice should stick around or grow before the weekend. But, as always, this early ice is temperamental, unsafe, and damn tempting!
Selective harvest works!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:24 PM »
So does Kenny get killed  when ice fishing in south park. Just jokeing.  ;D I just couldn't resist with the title of South Park Ice.

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Sick job!!! Did you fish the North or South side?

Offline go_fly_fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Thanks for the update and KUDOS on the nice fish.  You just saved me a scouting trip.  Now I can check on a few others.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:50 PM »
Wow, great photos waterwhipper!  That looks like a monster of a fish.  Well done on the early ice!   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline gnatboy911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:10 PM »
great fish!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:22 PM »
Excellent!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:36 PM »
I'll bet it will be tent city out there this weekend. The word is out now and I saw someone took this link and posted it on the Fish Exploiter. Have fun out there and be safe.
<===Lefty===

Offline Fish Wolf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:54 PM »
oh know not exploiter. If Anterohood has a safe lid then Terryhole has to have double the ice.

The mass exodus from the front range to the ice Meca Antero will be huge this weekend.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2014, 02:18 PM »
Yeah, Antero and Terryall will be -- what's the word? -- interesting, this weekend.  I'm heading West.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2014, 03:22 PM »
Yeah, Antero and Terryall will be -- what's the word? -- interesting, this weekend.  I'm heading West.

Me too.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Fish Wolf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Where you two headed in a west direction George Town, Officers Gulch, St Marys  do tell

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Where you two headed in a west direction George Town, Officers Gulch, St Marys  do tell

Certainly won't be Anterryhole!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Thanks for the update Waterwhipper.  A lot of people wouldn't have shared that information but you did and your effort was rewarded!  Well done.
Please note that Waterwhipper is the human face of Colorado Tackle Pro. I've been in their store on the corner of Hwy. 24 and 21st  Street just before leaving the Springs. They have those specialty jigs as well as some live bait that hasn't been invented yet. I'll certainly support a vendor that publishes an ice report like the one above that got my heart beating a little faster.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: South Park Ice Update
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2014, 10:58 PM »
I'll bet it will be tent city out there this weekend. The word is out now and I saw someone took this link and posted it on the Fish Exploiter. Have fun out there and be safe.

Maybe you guys need to start posting up some lakes in the "New lakes to be added" thread for the R&C board, Not open to the public eyes (lurkers). Must be a member with alteast 3 post to see it. A little more hush hush

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=290990.0
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Moosemilk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Nice fish!  Thanks for the report. 

Offline Granbysbia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:24 AM »
yeah baby

Online grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Nice fish!  Thanks for the report.
X2!! Getting the itch real bad!

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:38 PM »
I visited Antero for the first time ever today, and it was my first outing on ice since last spring.  Had a nice visit with Travis at Colorado Tackle Pro in the Springs and got some jigs from him.  Got there at noon and fished for about 4 hours.  Another guy there, a regular, caught a monster rainbow.

Ice was really nice - 5" everywhere we drilled - which was in shallow water just off the south boat ramp..  We caught several 16" bows, all deadsticked on jaw jackers.  We got several more hits on the jackers that didn't connect.  Weather chilly but nice.  I'll be going back for sure next week to hone the skills a bit more.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.