The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Maps  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Browngold11

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Maps
« on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Just picked up a new hand held gps for the ice fishing season.  Was wondering if anyone else uses lake maps during the ice season to find structure under lakes if so which ones have you found to have the best detail for the Wyoming lakes?

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Maps
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:30 PM »
 ihave the navionics app on my phone and it works really well.
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline Abe8882

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:45 PM »
does the navionics app need cell service to work, or can you save the map and use it out on the lake without service?
🎣

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:53 PM »
You can view the maps without cell service but in order to get your location while you are out there you need service. Most instances you can get close without service though. Some lakes are more detailed than others so you may check their lake list on their website.

Welcome aboard to both of you newcomers also!

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:53 PM »
The newest update the maps can be loaded and used without service. I have found it very handy to have, especially ice fishing.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:05 PM »
I use my Garmin 440s for.both hard and soft water fishing.  Being able to locate structure when fishing on the move will make you much more successful as a fisherman.  I made a repurposed a soft carry case for my Garmin that has room for a small 12v battery.  I use the navigation mode to locate drop offs, certain depths, sunken islands and other structure that often hold fish.  Typically, this is how I scout new ground.  I move a lot, drill a lot, use nav and a camera to find exactly the habitat which hold fish.  I typically fish for only cold water species.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Cell phones and other devices that utilize the cell service to determine location will only work where you have service... by method of triangulation. Most smart phones have a limited use gps receiver which will work, but will drain the battery, and only really get you within 10-20 feet.

I am looking into getting a Samsung 7" tablet, download navionics, and get a "Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Portable Device" thingy.

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Universal-Bluetooth/dp/B006M49G80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416265330&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+gps+receiver

Could use it in the boat as well as on the ice. We'll see.. ;D

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2014, 06:43 PM »
My Navionics has not worked on my phone now for over 4 months.  It loads and crashes.  Sending them a email of the issue was worthless.

It is nice to have when working.
Don

Offline Abe8882

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:39 PM »
downloaded the app today seams to work so far but have not been out on the water yet, thank you for the advice.
🎣

Offline lowerthelimit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:17 AM »
I thought you had to buy a subscription for the Navonics map?  I use it at home on laptop when looking at new places. 

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:35 PM »
I thought you had to buy a subscription for the Navonics map?  I use it at home on laptop when looking at new places. 

yes you have to purchase the mobile app. 
Don

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I Love Navionics app on my I-Phone!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2014, 05:50 PM »
The local hardware store has maps, foldable easy to read non electronics type maps.   My Flaming Gorge map has never ran out of batteries and it is quite accurate for what it is.
Thread killer

Offline Jig therapy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:01 PM »
Does the Navionics app for I phone show lake bottom contours on smaller bodies of water in Wyoming or just the large reservoirs?

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Does the Navionics app for I phone show lake bottom contours on smaller bodies of water in Wyoming or just the large reservoirs?

I'm in northeast wyoming and Keyhole is the only one that shows lake bottom contours around here.  Desmet and healy are just blue areas on the map.  However, I've never needed to find structure at Desmet or Healy to find fish.

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Yes sir, sorry I probably should have mentioned that, sometime you have to change the map to get your lines

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2014, 02:39 AM »
I must have an older version of the app. My buttons on the bottom are slightly different and I don't have contour lines on DeSmet or Healy. I just purchased the $3.99 upgrade and will have to play with it later.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2014, 03:02 AM »
Guess I should have updated earlier last year? Got it working good now.

- wyoutdoors :tipup:

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2014, 07:51 PM »
So I had a old version I guess.  I can force it to load from the google store since I already purchased it, but it would only crash.

I went in and bought the updated version of navionics and it works.  I got my maps back, but it looks like it is only good for one year then you need to buy it again?
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2014, 07:52 PM »
All the more reason to buy the chip for my boat and a smaller second fish finder to use ice fishing and on the boat.
Don

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2014, 06:51 AM »
Yep. Have to buy it every year. I will probably be screwed on the one with my phone. Everytime I click "update" on any of my apps it just opens the program now....on every single one of them. My cure-all solution of shutting off my phone and turning it back on isn't working.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Yep. Have to buy it every year. I will probably be screwed on the one with my phone. Everytime I click "update" on any of my apps it just opens the program now....on every single one of them. My cure-all solution of shutting off my phone and turning it back on isn't working.

What type phone do you have? I purchased my app a couple of years ago and never updated it (guess the auto update was turned off). I transferred my app to a Samsung S5 and it worked fine. When I saw the contour lines for DeSmet I went back to Google Play store and hit the update button, and everything works fine. I did 'upgrade' to the $3.99 thing while at work thinking this would give me the contour lines (it didn't).

Seems to me you may have a phone issue? I've only purchased my app once.

Offline rskendallxc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I do, because you don't
« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2014, 11:19 AM »
New here, so hello all! Navionics has worked great for me.
My wife knows more about fishing then you!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2014, 11:51 AM »
New here, so hello all! Navionics has worked great for me.

Welcome to the Shanty rskendallxc! You should be able to hit the Wyoming Reports and Conditions forum now that you have your third post, enjoy!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2014, 04:55 PM »
What type phone do you have? I purchased my app a couple of years ago and never updated it (guess the auto update was turned off). I transferred my app to a Samsung S5 and it worked fine. When I saw the contour lines for DeSmet I went back to Google Play store and hit the update button, and everything works fine. I did 'upgrade' to the $3.99 thing while at work thinking this would give me the contour lines (it didn't).

Seems to me you may have a phone issue? I've only purchased my app once.

iphone. I can still use the app...I would just like to have the latest update for the ice. yes it is definitely a phone issue.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline IceChack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Which version of the app are you guys using?

Offline IceChack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:14 AM »
To clarify, Navionics has a number of apps. Which is the correct app.

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:37 AM »
To clarify, Navionics has a number of apps. Which is the correct app.

I downloaded it last year and it was just called navionics.  However I now have the updated version which is called Boating USA.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.