New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Long Range Temp Maps  (Read 302 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Long Range Temp Maps
« on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:57 AM »
If your like me, your dying to get on the ice...planning that first trip, hoping for lots of cold.   I've still got some steelheading and deerhunting left to do, but cannot wait to fire up my new 50volt electric auger, and get on the ice.   I follow this page http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/ for the long range temperature forecasts.   Its not right 100% of the time, but 8-14 day outlook is generally spot-on.

Now if you are looking for some historical comparisons, the fall this year has shaped up very interestingly.  Our weather has been dominated by arctic air masses all year and into this fall.   This most recent weather pattern has sent unusually fridgid low-level cold air flooding across the lower 48.  The last time low-level cold air dumped across the country this early in November was 1976...which preceded one of the coldest winters NY has seen...the other thing that preceded the winter of '77 was the full year previous being dominated by arctic air masses.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Long Range Temp Maps
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:14 AM »
We just set the record for the coldest temps in November here...the lowest high for the day ever recorded was 16 deg; today the high is 12. Windchill is -10 right now. The ski hills are going full bore, 2-3 weeks earlier than ever opened. Will certainly have ice fishing by Thanksgiving easy..a first. ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
Re: Long Range Temp Maps
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:03 PM »
It was 13* in Sharon on Sat. morning all of the small ponds were locked up and the stream in front of my stand was 3/4 frozen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.