The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Non-Resident License Cost  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Non-Resident License Cost
« on: Nov 16, 2014, 01:27 PM »
 Is the cost of a non-resident license going to deter many non-residents to not fish Michigan?  I see many out of state plates at quite a few places I fish, what are you guys and gals thinking??

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Non-Resident License Cost
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2014, 03:01 PM »
I have talked to several that say they won't buy a Mich. non resident license.  I myself have bought one and plan on buying one for this coming year. 
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2014, 03:04 PM »
I am not from the area,if I was to fish there legally I would buy a licence,lots of people still face fines where i fish if they dont they face being fined.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2014, 04:31 PM »
100 percent of Michigan license fees goes directly to maintain ou resources..All you have to do is travel out of Michigan to see how good we have it here in this state...With what we spend on gear the cost of a license is a drop in the bucket..I buy multiple licenses every year for Ontario and any states that I happen to be fishing a tournament....The cost of licenses is the smallest of my worries...I have read that license sales are down bUT I would be willing to bet that a large number are fishing without licenses and ripping those of us off that pay to use and maintain our resources..
The price of the Gas tax will probably do more to damage the states tourism...
There are more outdoor opportunities in Michigan now than there has been in my lifetime..

Offline Mcwharthog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:33 PM »
I live 1 mile from the state line.  I do 90 percent of my fishing in Michigan. Although the cost of a non-resident license seems a little excessive, I will always pay.  There are at least 20 quality Michigan lakes within 30 minutes of my house, including Lake Michigan.  Other than the st.Joe river, Indiana fishing options near me are somewhat limited.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:36 PM »
I have talked to several that say they won't buy a Mich. non resident license.  I myself have bought one and plan on buying one for this coming year. 
  Hoping to fish w/ ya  some more , Jack.  Smelt, Crappies, whatever,  Heck of a good guy to fish with  ;).
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:48 PM »
I have no issue with the increase for what Michigan provides.  However, I find it stupid they reduced the resident license by 2 bucks the same time they increased the non resident by 30+ dollars.  Because of that they need a non resident license purchase for 15 or so resident purchases just to break even.  I find it hard to believe that the 2 dollar decrease will cause an increase in resident sales, but I can promise the 30+ dollar increase in non resident cost will reduce non resident sales.  Seems counter productive if the goal was to raise funds for the DNR.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:09 PM »
I have no issue with the increase for what Michigan provides.  However, I find it stupid they reduced the resident license by 2 bucks the same time they increased the non resident by 30+ dollars.  Because of that they need a non resident license purchase for 15 or so resident purchases just to break even.  I find it hard to believe that the 2 dollar decrease will cause an increase in resident sales, but I can promise the 30+ dollar increase in non resident cost will reduce non resident sales.  Seems counter productive if the goal was to raise funds for the DNR.

A little info for you. Every Michigan resident is now required to buy a trout stamp. So they are now paying $26.00 for a fishing license as opposed to the $14.00 they used to pay.  The only anglers that have benefited from this are anglers like my self that buy both a fishing license and a trout stamp. We save $2.00 compared to what we used to pay. Others(most)  that never bought a trout stamp are now paying $8.00 more than they used to.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:20 PM »
I spend over $100 on fishing license and kill tags. Michigan is a great state, move hear and reap the savings
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:33 PM »
$145 for a non resident fishing license in Alaska,  do it could be worse.  ;D

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:34 PM »
A little info for you. Every Michigan resident is now required to buy a trout stamp. So they are now paying $26.00 for a fishing license as opposed to the $14.00 they used to pay.  The only anglers that have benefited from this are anglers like my self that buy both a fishing license and a trout stamp. We save $2.00 compared to what we used to pay. Others(most)  that never bought a trout stamp are now paying $8.00 more than they used to.

Thanks for the info.  What is the breakdown of license sales for the trout stamp on top of a normal resident license vs. those that did not get the stamp?  With Lake Michigan, huron and all the tributaries, I would be surprised if the number that bought the stamps was not near 30% or more anyway.  I still don't understand the discount if the intent is to raise more money.  26.00 is an incredible bargain even if you just fish for Crappie, gills or perch.   I wish Indiana would increase its resident costs and get more officers in the field.

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Yep its still a good deal.We pay 75.00 to fish canada waters for three days a year so someone that lives close to michigan gets a lot more use out of their license.I agree could have cut it back 10.00 bucks or so though.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Now only if they would actually use the trout/salmon money towards more trout/salmon.  They have reduced the stockings in years past to an all time low.  Size of fish on the big lake this year were better than average but then catch numbers were way down.  I'm talking down in every port across the board from Michigan City to Ludington and north.  Even just a few years ago charter boats were bringing in limits in just a few hours and now fishing whole day trips for far less fish even during the peak season.  Seems that a majority of the people fishing on the southern end of the lake are catching far more lakers than silver fish.  Even up north I know plenty of guys who were running across the lake to other ports to chase steelhead because the kings were few and far between.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:17 AM »
If you fish MI waters a lot and are a non resident then $76 is not that much if you think about it. I think the biggest problem people are having with the increase is that it nearly doubled in price. If they plan on spending the money like they say they will then only time will tell.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Just my opinion ...
The cost of licenses for fishing, hunting, trapping, etc. can be offset by how many times you use them. I hunt or fish well over 100 days a year. That equates to very little $$$ per day.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:36 AM »
I paid $75  last year and will do so again this year! That's a drop in the bucket compared to what I have tied up in equipment for fishing all seasons!!! Michigan is an awesome state for outdoor activities!! Go BLUE!
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Not too bad compared to a nonresident fishing license in Wyoming which costs $92.00 plus a $12.50 conservation stamp. I have lived out here for a number of years now but grew up in Michigan so I always buy a nonresident license every year when I return to Michigan for a vacation.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Just my opinion ...
The cost of licenses for fishing, hunting, trapping, etc. can be offset by how many times you use them. I hunt or fish well over 100 days a year. That equates to very little $$$ per day.

:tipup:
NBG

Exactly, and there is still the option for $10/24hr license, and $30/72hr licenses if the opportunities are limited.  And kudos to those who decide to fish without a license, for when they get caught, that $$$ fine will really equate. ;)
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:34 PM »
40,000 FOR A PICK UP. 5500 FOR A QUAD. 350 FOR A SHELTER. 400 FOR A FLASHER. 4 BUCKS A GALLON FOR GAS. 60 FOR A ROD.200 FOR BOOTS. AT LEAST THAT MUCH FOR A COVERALL. 76 FOR A LICENSE???????????? PEANUTS!!!! OH YEAH, 2.50 FOR WAXIES
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2014, 09:23 PM »
40,000 FOR A PICK UP. 5500 FOR A QUAD. 350 FOR A SHELTER. 400 FOR A FLASHER. 4 BUCKS A GALLON FOR GAS. 60 FOR A ROD.200 FOR BOOTS. AT LEAST THAT MUCH FOR A COVERALL. 76 FOR A LICENSE???????????? PEANUTS!!!! OH YEAH, 2.50 FOR WAXIES
Don't forget the beer!!

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Holy Moly! Can't believe I forgot beer :)
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2014, 06:35 PM »
HAAHHAHAH!!  :clap:

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:12 PM »
37 degrees

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:53 PM »
i don't see much increase in licence prices from 2013 to 2014 for hunting except small game licence which you need to duck and goose hunt any ways? but if you buy the $266 package you save money over last year cost...

non resident small game $69
non resident fur harvester $8.00
non resident archery $138
non resident fire arm deer $138

now the only place your get screwed this year from last is the small game licencees.

2014:

base license non resident $151 but if you buy the combination hunt fish it 266 and you get the fire arm and bow kill tags  and small game and fishing licences at 266 it is quite the deal. now in 2013 the cost was $345 just for two deer tags and a small game license. if you hunt and fish michigan your saving a total of 79 bucks   

2014:

$190 for two kill tags deer. which was $276 last year @ $138 for each tag last year 
fur harvester $15 which is $7 more then last year but not a big increase.
water foul $12 which is new

so no matter how you cut it your saving money if you hunt and fish in michigan by the way those were non resident license cost..

were the non resident fishing is $75 sorry don't have last years "2013" figures but don't got last year booklet to compare it to i mite but not sure were it is..   

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:02 PM »
was $42 in 2013 now it $75 for fishing licences. they were trying to make them more in line with the surrounding states but i say that is a bunch of bs. i checked out Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania. on line licence sales. this is were i don't know were the heck we get the right in line from be cause most other states are under $50 except Pennsylvania.. just show what a lack of intelligence our governor has... that must be why there is a lack of sales this year in Michigan on hunting and fishing licences..   and he still claims that he finding new business all we can do is wait for his term to be up....     

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:08 AM »
its the cost of doing business and staying out of legal trouble. Will the higher cost cause people to keep fish they wouldn't have kept in the past or litter to get their moneys worth? The dollar has no value anymore, so take my money if you want, because I cant buy much with it anyhow.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:56 AM »
was $42 in 2013 now it $75 for fishing licences. they were trying to make them more in line with the surrounding states but i say that is a bunch of bs. i checked out Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania. on line licence sales. this is were i don't know were the heck we get the right in line from be cause most other states are under $50 except Pennsylvania.. just show what a lack of intelligence our governor has... that must be why there is a lack of sales this year in Michigan on hunting and fishing licences..   and he still claims that he finding new business all we can do is wait for his term to be up....   

I have to disagree with you a bit. A fair comparison would have to be with other states that offer similar fishing and hunting opportunities. You can't compare a state that has thousands of lakes to fish to one that has a few hundred. I don't know about hunting since I'm not a hunter.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2014, 12:34 PM »
I have to disagree with you a bit. A fair comparison would have to be with other states that offer similar fishing and hunting opportunities. You can't compare a state that has thousands of lakes to fish to one that has a few hundred. I don't know about hunting since I'm not a hunter.

those were fair comparisons all share great lakes water ways and have steel head walleye and salmon fishing opportunities along with ice fishing  not like i was comparing Georgia to Michigan which has deep sea fishing and ocean fishing etc.. etc..  and not much ice fishing etc...etc...  by the way not one of them are in line with our cost they must be going else ware to enjoy the great lakes resources....

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:08 PM »
Don't know how many inland lakes Ohio, Ind, and other states have in comparison to Michigan, we all know they have great lakes "access"

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:19 PM »
that is the reason they used to raise the cost of licences" to be in line with prices with those other states that fish and hunt in this region". truth be told there not with in what it is meant to be. it is showing that licences sales are down... 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.