Author Topic: What is a Hair Rigged Maggot ?  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
What is a Hair Rigged Maggot ?
« on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:14 AM »
The answer to the question is at the bottom of the page at the link below.

You may even learn of the toughest and best place to hook a maggot.

Ha, right between the "eyes".     Enjoy.      ;)2

Good stuff here, yum.          :woot: :roflmao:

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What is a Hair Rigged Maggot ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2014, 10:31 AM »
How little I really knew about hooking maggots!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2014, 01:41 PM »
Seems like this is from a European carp angler, they pretty much always use a hair rig of some kind
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Marmyshka man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:07 PM »

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:38 PM »
http://site.starbaits.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/page-46-mag-clip-pic-3.jpg

Click the link to see a picture of one.

Well, I'm usually wrong, so I don't mind sticking my neck out, again.   

What you have linked to is interesting, but, well, I'll just stop right there and we'll show what is at your link.  Ok?

And, in the interest of science, let's have a look at a "HAIR RIGGED MAGGOT "     This, from the link at the top of this thread, easy to miss. It says, Good stuff here, yum. It really is a link.
                                               And, the few words of description:   Hair Rigged Maggot
Tie a two-inch length of low diameter line (about 1.5lb) to the bottom of the hook and then hold the maggot still and Superglue the line to the side if it. Then hold the glued maggot and glue a second maggot to this and so on. When finished, trim any line below the bait. It’s a messy business but because there no added weight in the bait itself (such as a hook or Maggot Klip) it will waft off the bottom naturally as fish pass and can be deadly. Because the hook lies flat on the bottom, there is also little chance of foul-hooking fish.

So, do you have a name for that "rigging",  Marmyshka man ?  I would like to know more about it.   Thanks.     ;)2

Offline Marmyshka man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Hey Idahogator!

Thanks for adding the additional photo of another style of hair rigged maggots. The traditional hair rig created in the late seventies by K.Maddocks and L.Middleton is comprised of the braided line (the hair) actually human hair donated by Maddocks wife was used pretty cool no? This holds the bait, this is then attached to the hook with a knotless knot. Its up to the individual as to how they want to rig the bait they are using.The ring holding the threaded maggots are Maden clips made for maggot hair rigs. Hope this helps to clarify.
Thanks again for adding the additional photo, two photos are better than one.

Tight lines to ya!! :tipup:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2014, 11:58 AM »
And thank you sir for more info/history on this.     :bow:

Are you in this country and is this rig just for carp ?     ???

Offline Marmyshka man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2014, 02:18 PM »
Your welcome :)

I live in the Midwest, Kansas to be exact. I'm no expert but I have done my research and tied and fished a few hair rigs in the last few years.
The rig was designed for carp but through my readings, not through hands on experience its been said "what fish can't you catch on them"?
I have only caught carp on the rigs but I did have a channel catfish on a hair rig once, but it let go as soon as it got to the net. So I guess you can catch other fish with it I just haven't been so successful yet. I'm sure with some modification to the hair length and bait attachment techniques you could fish worms, cut bait, dough bait etc. Although you would have to check your local regulations for any restrictions on bait/hook placement/location that is above or below the hook on your line I don't see why you couldn't. I hope this helps and I think I will try the hair rig for catfish this spring it couldn't hurt. Have a great weekend and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Tight lines to Ya!! :tipup:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2014, 02:38 PM »
Well, more good info.  They stated, the tail swirl of a passing fish would lift the offering up from the bottom and lure the fish to take it.  Hm, maybe the fish do look back, ignoring Dylan's words, from the 60's.

A head spinner, ha.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6y7AXw5U6w

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2017, 11:04 PM »
The answer to the question is at the bottom of the page at the link below.

You may even learn of the toughest and best place to hook a maggot.

Ha, right between the "eyes".     Enjoy.      ;)2

Good stuff here, yum.          :woot: :roflmao:

Wow, who knew their were so many different ways to rig a spike! Haha. Good info Idaho

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.