The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Arctic armor suit  (Read 2420 times)

Offline acmarcus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Arctic armor suit
« on: Nov 14, 2014, 07:49 AM »
The wife is looking to get me a new suit for Xmas this year. After looking at them on line, I like the looks of idi arctic armors suit. Anyone have any hands on experience? I would like to try on one before buying but can't find them locally. (Dick's is listed as a retailer for them, but have been to 3 different ones and they have none in store). Any input is well appreciated.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Arctic armor suit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:24 AM »
Do a search (upper left) and you will have tons of past post/threads ...others have reported the AA suit does not breathe .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:26 AM »
You may want to take a trip to D&R Sports in Kzoo Dec. 6-7, they have an ice fishing show then.  I have been there the last 2 years...there are a few factory reps that bring in suits that you can try on....not sure if AA will be there but i know Striker/Frabill has always been there.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I love mine, but ........ as diehard stated, it doesn't breathe

Offline Cheese

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Cheese the Ice Fisherman here, I have the bibs, they are durable, a bit big for the size specification, and not as "thick" as the "Ice Armor" I got from Gander, but they do not leave you cooler, meaning they are thinner but not any less warm.  I like the added piece of mind that they float.

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2014, 05:11 PM »
I have a Arctic armor suit, I bought at d@r sports in k zoo u can try em on and see what u think.  I love mine though one complaint is that the zippers on the bibs only go up to knee makes it hard to put on with snow boots on.

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2014, 05:20 PM »
love mine. have had them 3yrs. no issues. I also took them to a tailor and had full length zippers put in the bibbs.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2014, 05:39 PM »
I have a set and have used it for about 4 years.  No complaints.......and yes, they will float you!
mike

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2014, 08:31 AM »
I'm going on at least 6 years with my AA suit.  I love mine, but hear the new striker float suits are a step up.  I'll check them out if I ever wear out my current suit. 

AA does not breathe, but make sure you get the right fit and it will keep you warm.  I just take off my coat for hand drilling lots of holes or leave it unzipped while dragging my sled. Just make sure you don't break a sweat and you are fine.  I have three shanties and seldom use them because the suit keeps me plenty warm and much more mobile.  The suit is extremely light and you won't think it could keep you warm, but it does.  Make sure to keep the velcro bib pockets closed or the velcro will shred the lining on the coat.  I got the coat replaced for free, but found out about the velcro issue after the damage had been done.

I bought mine online from Dave at ProFishingSupply (http://www.profishingsupply.com/).  They threw in free pair of ice armor gloves...but this was at least 6 years back.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2014, 08:45 AM »
I think I'm going on at least 8 years with my AA suit, love it!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2014, 01:40 PM »
I have worn this suite for the past three years. The best ice fishing investment I have ever made. You will not get cold!! They are water and wind proof-not resistant like some others. I am on the ice 4-5 times per week and staying dry and warm is crucial. The fact that they could save your life by floatation is a bonus.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2014, 03:25 PM »
I've had my AA suit for 4 years also and love it. I don't wear a lot under mine. Under Armor wicking long johns is all when it's real cold and just jeans when it's 20's. As far as the coat goes just a hoody under & unzipped when pulling the sled or shack. It's breaks the wind better than anything I own.  I have the camo suit that is the real soft material.

Glenn
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2014, 03:32 PM »
I like my AA for the cold,took mine up north this spring and jumped in the lake,it did float, but filled with water which weighed a ton  :o,early season full floater suit (salus)for me.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:56 PM »
I have worn this suite for the past three years. The best ice fishing investment I have ever made. You will not get cold!! They are water and wind proof-not resistant like some others. I am on the ice 4-5 times per week and staying dry and warm is crucial. The fact that they could save your life by floatation is a bonus.

Even though they are advertised as such, they are not 100% water proof.  Sit out in the rain in one all day and you will get wet or kneeling in water or slush will get your knees wet eventually.  Agree with everything else you posted.

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:24 PM »
If your looking at AA also look at Striker.  I compared both and went with Striker.  D&R has them also.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:30 PM »
I don't have/never have had an AA suit, but have had the Vex suit and now have an Ice Armor suit.  I prefer a "shell" type parka and then layer up underneath it.  The Ice Armor parka is perfect for that.  I didn't like the Vex parka for layering.  It is really warm but it is like wearing a heavy blanket.  The IA parka stops the wind, has tons of pockets and sheds water.  My advice to you is if you are looking at ice suits and the jacket is heavy, you may want to look for something else.  I have no idea how heavy/bulky the AA parka is but I would take a look at that before you buy something. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:34 PM »
I've owned an AA suit for 6 years now and would give the suit a 7 out of 10 rating. Yes, it isn't too bulky and does a good job blocking out wind and keeping you warm. I've been a little disappointed, however, with the quality of the suit. For instance, I've had to have one of bib zippers fixed and have had some seam stitches come done. The suit is water resistant but not waterproof. As someone said, kneeling on the ice all day and your knees will get wet.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:42 PM »
For early/late ice, would a life-jacket under a parka work?  I was just thinking it would give you floatation but you wouldn't have to have the bulk of the floatation material "built in" to the jacket but could just have it when you needed it.  I've never tried this but might be an option to a floatation suit. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2014, 10:07 PM »
For early/late ice, would a life-jacket under a parka work?  I was just thinking it would give you floatation but you wouldn't have to have the bulk of the floatation material "built in" to the jacket but could just have it when you needed it.  I've never tried this but might be an option to a floatation suit.

The flotation suits (AA and Stryker) are not bulky.  In fact when you look at them or hold them you would not think they would keep you warm or be able to float a 280 lb  man per piece.  Wearing a life jacket other than the 200.00 mustang (or similar) inflatable ones would be much more bulky than either the AA or Stryker suit.  The cost of that type of inflatable life vest can get you the jacket or bibs from AA or striker.  Anyone looking for a new ice suit is doing themselves and their loved ones a disservice by not buying a suit that has built in flotation.

Offline michiganice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2014, 02:29 PM »
If your looking at AA also look at Striker.  I compared both and went with Striker.  D&R has them also.

I went with Striker Hardwater after trying them both on at D&R.  AA felt cheap to me.  Love my Striker.

Offline michiganice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2014, 02:31 PM »
Anyone looking for a new ice suit is doing themselves and their loved ones a disservice by not buying a suit that has built in flotation.

Couldn't agree more.

Offline DaveMI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Another Vote for the Striker.  I have the Lite which I believe has been discontinued, warm but thin, lots of pockets and it floats. Get it a size larger and they layering options are endless when it gets really cold.

DaveMI

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:31 AM »
I just got the striker hardwater bibs..very nice except I cant hardly get my hands in the pockets on front of legs...zippers dont open far enough..thats my only complaint...

Offline Chub58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2014, 07:26 PM »
I've had the ice armour suit that's not insulated for 6years
Still in good shape.Bought the Stryker predator suit this
Year for the simple reason it floats.Comparing the two the
Stryker feels lighter and has insulation.hoping I won't have
To wear as many layers this year.
Hut - Cabelas 360tc
Sonar - Vexilar double vision fl20 DTD flx28
Rods - Custom
Lure - Fiskas tungsten
Ride - 07' Polaris 700 dragon
Auger - Clam conversion Dewalt 20v Mora 6"

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2014, 05:51 AM »
Striker has my vote too. Zippers under the arms and across the. back for various points of ventilation. You can also vent the bibs if you would like too. I have the climate suit and love it!!!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:17 AM »
Another vote for Stryker...

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2014, 01:02 PM »
Me too Stryker.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:40 PM »
I will be ordering a Striker suit this week.  From all the reviews it sounds like Striker suits are top of the line when it comes to an ice suit.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2014, 04:36 PM »
I have had the arctic armor suit for about 6 years now and it is looking pretty rugged.  It looks like the Stryker suit is more popular right now but I will do a little research before I buy.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:52 PM »
I've got the blue ice armor and really like it. The zippers and snaps are top quality.  The suit is light enough to layer underneath and waterproof to kneel on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.