Author Topic: My Ice Shack Build  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Cory1921

• IceShanty Rookie
My Ice Shack Build
« on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Hey all, new user from Winnipeg here. started building an 8x8 ice shack last weekend.  Got the floor pretty much done, its made from 1/2 plywood and 2x3's. the walls will be 3/8 plywood.  I am making it so it can all bolt together for easy transportation and it can be assembled on the ice. I put 1-1/2 foam insulation under floor and will do the same to walls and ceiling. the holes will be located in the center with a 4'x1' cut out, that will lift open. shack will be heated by a home made wood stove.  Just posting to see if anyone has any ideas/suggestions, any would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

p.s would post pics of the build but have no idea how to on this site, lol

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: My Ice Shack Build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:33 PM »
Upload. Them to photonucket them add them to this site. We all are addicted to pics on here and you will get a lot more help with pica. Hope this helps you out.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:35 PM »
I have never made a hut, can't wait to hear some of the members tips.

Offline Andre1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2014, 11:01 PM »
Mark your ownership information in 3 inch high letters on or near the door so that it does not get hauled away by NROs for being an unmarked shelter.

If you plan on putting it on the Red River anywhere from Lockport to Lake Winnipeg don't leave ANYTHING in it!!!!!

If you do put it on the Red River, MENTALLY PREPARE yourself for the inevitable day(s) when you will arrive only to see that someone has broken into it, used for parties and/or outhouse, burned all your firewood (if you didn't listen to me and left some there), stole your furnace (if you didn't listen to me and left it there without chaining or bolting it down through the floor).

Put it on wooden blocks, not pallets, treated lumber, concrete blocks or railroad ties.

Move it over after every use so that it does not freeze in from the slush that will fill underneath when you drill holes with your auger.

DO NOT POSSESS OR CONSUME LIQUOR in or around your shelter as this is a violation of the Liquor and Gaming Control Act.

Please remove your garbage after every outing and deposit it in an approved receptacle.  Please don't leave anything trash in the shelter or in containers outside of the shelter.  There is no garbage pick up on ice fishing waters.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Great points , depending on snow fall you might want to make sliding covers on the sides that can be adjusted to accommodate if you need to lift it higher , slotted . I've seen shacks that froze in due to too  much weight on the ice , drill a hole and the water comes up and builds up locking your blocks into the ice ..............we cover the blocks with poly , timbers don't freeze to the ice ! even if they are surrounded by ice you can knock them out fairly easy . Put a flash guard  ( metal plate ) against the wall where the stove will be in case you're fairly close to the walls , even cut a small hole to allow fresh air to flow over the stove dispersing the heat better , again something slotted so you can use it like a damper . Good luck   
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.