Author Topic: Inline Reels  (Read 2110 times)

Offline PapaAthona

• Team IceShanty Addict
Inline Reels
« on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Just researching some new gear and I have noticed a lot more inline reels out there.  Maybe its just me.  I've read some descriptions.  Seems like something worth checking out.  Anyone use them?  Anyone prefer them for certain applications?  Just curious.

:tipup:

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Inline Reels
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2014, 05:13 PM »
I like the three I have, even if they are Wallyworld specials. I gave up on the little spinning reels, too much hassle and getting wound up. These have the one way clutch so the drag only engages letting out the line, so you can reel in easily, and one is the Eagle Claw with 2/1 gearing for fast retrieval; it also has the free spooling button to get your jig back on the fish quickly. I'm happy with them so far.
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2014, 05:31 PM »
how much line can they hold? I am going to try fishing for Laker's and I need a new rod & reel setup and was thinking of getting one of the Eagle Claw in line reels but I don't know if they hold enough line..Can you use braid with them?

Offline tackleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2014, 06:40 AM »
The eagleclaw ice reels are a 2.6 to one gear ratio and reel in 15.75 inches of line per crank.  They are the only left or right hand on the market.  They hold about 50 yards of 4 lb test

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:09 AM »
If anyone is looking at in-lines - check out Gander Mountain - 13 Fishing's Black Betty - right or left hand retrive - regular price $99.99 - on sale $49.99 with free shipping.

Offline PapaAthona

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Nice!  Thanks!

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Anytime.  In fact I ordered mine today. The best part of the shanty is info. from everyone on just about any aspect of hardwater adventure. Let the "GAMES" begin!!

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Whitewing Thank you I bought a Frabill Friday afternoon for $59.00  I got home and read your post and ordered a black Betty much better quality and a great price

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2014, 05:08 PM »
I love them. I have two rods I use most the season for everything, with a few backups of both. For panfishing or most water less than 20' deep I love my 24" ultralight with a Frabil 1:1 inline with no freespool. Mostly like the ergonomics of palming the reel while I jig, called the pencil grip I believe. Really feel like you can feel the lightest touch, great for panfish. It's very light and there is truth to reduction of line twist. Deeper water or bigger targets like lakers I use the same Eagleclaw that rockhound and tackleman talks about above on a 28" medium light rod. In addition to the reel ratio, it has a freespool release unlike my Frabil which I strip line by pulling it off the spool. So in 30-70' of water it's nice to have that freespool to drop my jig to the bottom. You can fit a lot of line on them. Both my deepwater and my panfish rigs I actually use nylon backer to make the arbor a bit bigger and require less line use. I probably have 75 yards of backer and 100 yards of 10lb diameter line on the Eagleclaw.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline PapaAthona

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:47 PM »
That's good info there.  Thanks!  I'm definitely going to check them out this season.

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:52 AM »
im thinking of getting one for shallow water panfish jiggin. is it worth it? i use small jigs. totaly understand the no spinning of jigs.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:27 PM »
If anyone is looking at in-lines - check out Gander Mountain - 13 Fishing's Black Betty - right or left hand retrive - regular price $99.99 - on sale $49.99 with free shipping.

just seen the 13 on line at Cabelas for $19.99 on sale: regular price $39.99...
Are there two different ones  ???
The Eagle Claw reel looks nice and beefy...
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:40 PM »
I've been curious about the 13 Black Betty reel.

Recently went to Cabela's in ME and the guys working there didn't know what I was talking about. Seems they really need some help in that dept, needless to say I didn't see any 13 Black Betty reels there either on display.

Keep us posted on this reel this season in terms of the performance. Looking for something for early ice i.e.: browns, rainbows and brookies plus lakers too.

Currently I use a Shimano bait runner reel when I do use a rod.

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:04 PM »
I have a couple of the BB inline reels. The main difference between the BB and others is the length of the stem. The BB's is longer that the eagle claw inclines I have. With gloves on it makes a big difference. The BB is metal so it's a little colder on the hands but I don't really care. I have not seen the new frabil model. I bought mine when they were 99.95 so the Gander deals is pretty good.
Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:11 PM »
   just seen the 13 on line at Cabelas for $19.99 on sale: regular price $39.99...
Are there two different ones  ???
The Eagle Claw reel looks nice and beefy...
Yes, there are two different grades (models) and I think one more 13 BB inline reels, PoolGuy.
I'll be in touch.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2014, 03:58 AM »
Yes, there are two different grades (models) and I think one more 13 BB inline reels, PoolGuy.
I'll be in touch.

Thank you CD.
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:07 PM »
The eagleclaw ice reels are a 2.6 to one gear ratio and reel in 15.75 inches of line per crank.  They are the only left or right hand on the market.  They hold about 50 yards of 4 lb test
Tackleman, just a question. I am not trying to stir the pot.
How can manufacturers claim the reels reel in 15.75 inches per crank, when the more line is on the reel the more line it will take in per crank? The same question is for the line counter reels we use during open water? Why and how can the make these claims?
Thanks
PB

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:18 PM »
I have a couple of the BB inline reels. The main difference between the BB and others is the length of the stem. The BB's is longer that the eagle claw inclines I have. With gloves on it makes a big difference. The BB is metal so it's a little colder on the hands but I don't really care. I have not seen the new frabil model. I bought mine when they were 99.95 so the Gander deals is pretty good.
the new 2015 eagle claw inlines have the long stem on them this year.but  the spool still rubs my hand using the pencil grip.

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:45 PM »
I use the eagle claw for laker fishing it's ok ,the smaller spinning for trout and panfish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.