Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger Conversion Kit or Nils  (Read 6333 times)

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam Ice Auger Conversion Kit or Nils
« on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:11 AM »
Hello everybody, I am torn and looking for a little advice. 

I have been ice fishing for a few years now which means I have been adding to my gear collection for a few years now.  The big difference this year is that my kids are old enough and very excited to join me on the ice :).  The past few years I have been hand drilling my own holes with a 6 inch Mora ice auger.  As you can imagine, I will be drilling quite a few more holes this year so the kids will have their own flags (mostly bass, pickerel and pan fish so they can chase them all day).  I am not very sure that I want to drop a couple of hundred dollars on a gas, propane or electric auger but I want an upgrade.  Here is my question to you all . . .

1.  Do I purchase a Clam Ice Auger Conversion Kit?  If I do this then I can use my Mora 6 inch auger on it along with my Porter Cable 20V Max drill driver (2 - 1.5A batteries).  I do also fish for lake trout once in a while so I am a little nervous about the 6 inch hole.  Yes it has always been big enough in the past but there is that what if factor.  Also, if I purchase this kit then I am without an electric drill for the ice fishing season for stuff around the house.

2. Do I purchase am 8 inch Nils auger?  If I do this then I obviously have the extra space to fit up the bag laker during the derby.  I also would have my drill for the season if I need it for house stuff.  The downfall is I have never used a Nils but I hear that they cut like butter. Regardless, I would still be hand drilling a bunch of holes.

3.  Do you have any other options for me to consider?

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
Re: Clam Ice Auger Conversion Kit or Nils
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:31 AM »
I think you would be better off looking for a used 8" power auger.
But if you must go nils/Drill combo and your drill has a 1/2" chuck get the ice master addapter and run the 6 inch Mora. It don't require the chuck be removed. That drill will never turn an 8" nils.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:41 AM »
Two questions How thick of Ice and How many holes.  Just to get started I drill 10 holes threw up to 18 inches of ice its doesn't happen fast drill 3 or 4 and rig those poles up drill a few more and rig those poles.  But if your drilling 2 to 3 foot of ice go with some kind of power for sure If not the Nils or finbore III are great hand augers :)

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2014, 01:23 PM »
Most of the lakes that I fish are six flag.  I will have 6 my daughter will have 3 & I might k
put one in for my son to start but as they say if the fish are not there I will be drilling more. Last year I was cutting holes throgj around 24 inches of ice at the thickest.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2014, 01:27 PM »

I have been ice fishing for a few years now which means I have been adding to my gear collection for a few years now.  The big difference this year is that my kids are old enough and very excited to join me on the ice :).  The past few years I have been hand drilling my own holes with a 6 inch Mora ice auger.  As you can imagine, I will be drilling quite a few more holes this year so the kids will have their own flags (mostly bass, pickerel and pan fish so they can chase them all day).  I am not very sure that I want to drop a couple of hundred dollars on a gas, propane or electric auger but I want an upgrade.  Here is my question to you all . . .

1.  Do I purchase a Clam Ice Auger Conversion Kit?  If I do this then I can use my Mora 6 inch auger on it along with my Porter Cable 20V Max drill driver (2 - 1.5A batteries).  I do also fish for lake trout once in a while so I am a little nervous about the 6 inch hole.  Yes it has always been big enough in the past but there is that what if factor.  Also, if I purchase this kit then I am without an electric drill for the ice fishing season for stuff around the house.

2. Do I purchase am 8 inch Nils auger?  If I do this then I obviously have the extra space to fit up the bag laker during the derby.  I also would have my drill for the season if I need it for house stuff.  The downfall is I have never used a Nils but I hear that they cut like butter. Regardless, I would still be hand drilling a bunch of holes.

You could buy the Nils cordless 8" and and a new drill...that way you'll always have your other drill at your home...and you'll have a spare auger...problem solved!!!
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Walked into a great local fishing store today with the goal of looking around asking a few questions.  Walked out with a used StrikeMaster Magnum 8.25" power auger for $200.00.  I figured that was a great enough deal that I should not walk away from.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2014, 06:40 PM »
I know you said you just bought yourself a power auger but you still might want to consider getting yourself the ice master. Since you said you will be drilling more holes this year you can use it with your cordless drill for early ice. Then when the ice starts to get to thick for the drill you can bring out the gas auger.

Offline Tim Moore

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Pro Staff Member, Educator
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2014, 05:22 AM »

I ran the drill plate all last season with an 8" nills hand auger blade. It was the only auger I used and I was very happy with it. I was on the ice at least four days per week, with only two 4.0Ah Li batteries, and it never failed me. I will be running the same setup this season. Here are my thoughts on your questions and some other things I noted:

1) I burned up a $99 Dewalt drill the first time I used it. It isn't enough drill unless you only drill 6 holes or so each trip and give the drill time with an 8". I switched to a DCD990 Brushless and it performed flawlessly. (Note: the chucks on the Dewalt drills are infamously difficult to get off. The Milwaukee M18 fuel drill's chucks are easier to remove, but I only heard one report of them performing as well as the Dewalt. I don't have any experience with the Milwaukee though so don't take my word for it. I've fished with you and I think you will be fine with the setup you are thinking about based on how you fish.

2) The auger drill plate will not accept the nills hand auger blade without having an adapter made by a machinist. I had an adapter made and I'm glad I did. The nills doesn't cut much faster than the Strikemaster lazer hand auger blade, but it cuts easier so you get more holes per battery. I also like the length of the nills, especially when we had 30" of ice. You can buy from Clam or have an extension made for regular hand auger blades (mora, lazer, eskimo.) I have never used my nills by hand, but I can only imagine it will cut easier than the lazer since it does on the drill plate.

3) It's battery power in the cold so yes, you need to keep the batteries from getting too cold. I found a small (6"x6") soft-side cooler and throw the batteries in it with a few hand warmers and I was set for the day. Also, I'm really looking forward to the 5.0Ah batteries that Dewalt came out with.

4) When installing the hand auger adapter shaft on the drill (for the auger drill plate), make sure you apply anti-seize to the threads generously or you will never get it off again. Any hope of pulling double-duty with your drill will be gone.

5) I installed my nills adapter using wing nuts and keep the hand auger handle that came with my nills as back up. That way I can get the auger off the drill plate and put the handle on if I need to.  I haven't had to use it, but all things break at some point and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Offline BUCK256

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:11 PM »
I wouldn't buy anything nils. Terrible customer service.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:25 PM »
 ??? ???  What can I say again!!   Nils Augers are now my favorite.    But!   I only recommend them as 41/2" and 6" hand augers or  battery drill adaptive.    Three years of experience let me know that for most ice fishermen a 20 volt drill and either or these drills will give you much less to carry around and way more holes than you will need for a bunch of kids catching medium size fish. 
Dick

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:43 PM »
I ran the drill plate all last season with an 8" nills hand auger blade. It was the only auger I used and I was very happy with it. I was on the ice at least four days per week, with only two 4.0Ah Li batteries, and it never failed me. I will be running the same setup this season. Here are my thoughts on your questions and some other things I noted:

1) I burned up a $99 Dewalt drill the first time I used it. It isn't enough drill unless you only drill 6 holes or so each trip and give the drill time with an 8". I switched to a DCD990 Brushless and it performed flawlessly. (Note: the chucks on the Dewalt drills are infamously difficult to get off. The Milwaukee M18 fuel drill's chucks are easier to remove, but I only heard one report of them performing as well as the Dewalt. I don't have any experience with the Milwaukee though so don't take my word for it. I've fished with you and I think you will be fine with the setup you are thinking about based on how you fish.

2) The auger drill plate will not accept the nills hand auger blade without having an adapter made by a machinist. I had an adapter made and I'm glad I did. The nills doesn't cut much faster than the Strikemaster lazer hand auger blade, but it cuts easier so you get more holes per battery. I also like the length of the nills, especially when we had 30" of ice. You can buy from Clam or have an extension made for regular hand auger blades (mora, lazer, eskimo.) I have never used my nills by hand, but I can only imagine it will cut easier than the lazer since it does on the drill plate.

3) It's battery power in the cold so yes, you need to keep the batteries from getting too cold. I found a small (6"x6") soft-side cooler and throw the batteries in it with a few hand warmers and I was set for the day. Also, I'm really looking forward to the 5.0Ah batteries that Dewalt came out with.

4) When installing the hand auger adapter shaft on the drill (for the auger drill plate), make sure you apply anti-seize to the threads generously or you will never get it off again. Any hope of pulling double-duty with your drill will be gone.

5) I installed my nills adapter using wing nuts and keep the hand auger handle that came with my nills as back up. That way I can get the auger off the drill plate and put the handle on if I need to.  I haven't had to use it, but all things break at some point and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Can you get me a pic of that adaptor please.
Thomas Harris

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:01 PM »
??? ???  What can I say again!!   Nils Augers are now my favorite.    But!   I only recommend them as 41/2" and 6" hand augers or  battery drill adaptive.    Three years of experience let me know that for most ice fishermen a 20 volt drill and either or these drills will give you much less to carry around and way more holes than you will need for a bunch of kids catching medium size fish. 
Dick

My 4" nils on a craftsman 18.5v is a beast. I can catch panfish all day on one battery. It does struggle with my 6" nils after 5" of ice I'm not sure any drill will impress me with my 8" we are drilling 18+ now in NY The 4" is eating it up if your a pan fisherman you cant go wrong with any 2" chuck drill and a 4" Nils.
Thomas Harris

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:15 PM »
my eskimo silver tip 6" is a beast. drills quickly with little down force 
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:39 AM »
 ::) ::)  Although I recommend the small Nils (41/2")   for big fish , last winter I pulled a 4 lb brown, a 3 pound largemouth and a 26" pike through the small hole.  The pike was easy because once I got the head turned up into the hole it shot straight up like a rocket.
Dick

Offline herecuskycusky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:12 AM »
I just bought a brand new 4 1/2 nils last week. I must say I could not be more dissatisfied. Don't get Me wrong. It cut like butter for the 4 holes it lasted. Some crayon biting window licker decided it was a good idea to use wing nuts to hold the thing together. So after I drilling my 4th hole I pulled up a shiny blue cork screw but no red cutting head. So my advice buy if you go with a nils buy your own hardwear.

Offline Fish Nerd Dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Aw that is a truly sad story. I have had a Nils 4.5 for 7-8 years now and love it. Mine does not have a wingnut attaching the drill head, but a nylon core 1/4 nut.  I have never had it loosen up.  The only time I have trouble getting fish through is when I get into big crappie. Anything 14" or bigger will not fit. I have to drill a second hole and chip out the difference.  That has only happened twice, but I would buy a 6" auger too if I had the cash to spend. 

Also I had to talk to customer service maybe 6 years ago when I was having trouble sharpening the blades myself. I ended up talking to a very knowledgeable guy at the US distributor and learned that how tricky it was. I now have a guy in MN sharpen my dull blades. I have one blade on my auger and another backup one in the box.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2015, 03:51 PM »
 ??? ??? I would check with your Nils supplier?   None of the Nils augers have the cutting blade attached with a wing nut!!   As mentioned they all come with a lock nut to attach the final cutting blade.
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.