Author Topic: Tobin Lake 2014-2015  (Read 32464 times)

Offline gomwitdawind

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tobin Lake 2014-2015
« Reply #150 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Some more brutes from the weekend, LOL, I got skunked 2 days in a row, but my friends tied into a few good ones.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #151 on: Mar 20, 2015, 11:50 AM »
heard there was a foot of water on the flats. can anyone confirm? I'm staying by the resort this weekend so I may give the hump a try.

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Mar 20, 2015, 02:31 PM »
A foot?! I wouldn't go that far. I will admit there's quite a bit of water on the trail going out there but once your through it it's not bad at all. It's pretty cool out today and that's gonna freeze things back up again. I haven't had any luck at the flats. I keep hearing people bringing in huge pike out there but I think it's a myth haha. Honestly I'd prob try the hump etc. The eyes should be moving around a bit more now. Good luck

Offline sask187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Mar 21, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Planning on fishing the flats Friday can quads and side by sides get around or would it be better to take sleds?

Offline cdnb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Mar 21, 2015, 09:32 AM »
A couple nice beasts! Love those big pike!

Offline gomwitdawind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:55 AM »
The reports keep rollin in that it's tough fishin. A lot of stories of large groups of people getting skunked. Seems like a switch got flipped and about a week ago is when it happened. The only cause I can think of is that they started drawing large amounts of water through the dam and it has decreased visibility and increased  current speed in the main lake for sure and partially on the flats and other bays just off the main river. Never remember it being this tough before, I'm hoping they'll back off on the water draw, and it'll turned around before season end, otherwise it'll be a pretty dismal closer! Seriously considering trying Last Mountain Lake if conditions will allow. If not, might still try tobin after all, "a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!".

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #156 on: Mar 22, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Still driving on flats?

Offline vandals44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Mar 24, 2015, 01:47 PM »
coming home this weekend for the year ender, how the ice everywhere, should I bring my fishing gear .

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:06 PM »
Bring your gear! Lots of ice yet. The fishing has been tough tho.

Offline nicemustang

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:18 PM »
Skidoos or quads or just truck access ok?

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #160 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:35 PM »
Depends what your doing and where your going. Last weekend trucks were steady driving across from the resort to prudens. It's snowed since but I can't see that stopping you. Lake has been slow but I hear people have been hitting some nice walleyes up by the mouth.

Offline gomwitdawind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Reports have it that a lot of the fish have moved back out deeper near the river channel, due to the rotting vegetation in the shallows and oxygen depletion. I opted for a main lake trip, very slow tip up action as per usual, but the results on the main lake seem to produce an average larger size. 2 flags today, only fish landed choose any spot on structure, go shallow all the way to the deep, Had one fish in 6 feet of water the other in about 20 feet. If you get bored easily bring a book to read or play games on your iphone, LOL

Offline JackHammer09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #162 on: Mar 25, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Nice work!  We got skunked on the flats today the water was extremely murky n stunk like crap!  Got any tips on where we should try tommorow? ?

Offline HoggON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat it or beat it!
« Reply #163 on: Mar 26, 2015, 10:19 PM »
I hate to have to be the bearer of bad news to all you Flat loving pike fishermen.  There is a reason why the pike fishing is worse and worse every year.  Put it this way a very high percentage of the fish I handled on the flats this year had fresh hook marks, torn gills and/or line wrap marks.  Also the once immense average girths has dropped in size on average.   Whether the girth drop is due to people cutting off treble hooks in the fish or infection making difficult for them to feed or whatever it may be.  It ISN'T from a lack of feed availability.  The one Saturday I was out this year there must of been 100 trucks parked along the plowed road.  All of which had fishermen fishing around them.  Unfortunately that pressure does an immense amount of damage to once world class fishery.  I'm not saying it is dead or that there is not any big fish left but I know for a fact that there is a lot less of them around then when I first dropped a bait on the flats many years ago.  I'm not sure what the answer is to help the fishery rebound but I have one suggestion.  Circle hooks rather than trebles is my suggestion.  I recently gave them a chance and found that my hook up percentage was very similar if not better than treble rigs.  Also 95% of the fish we caught on them were hooked right in the corner of the mouth.  Therefore easy and QUICK to remove as well as less likely to cause infection or DEATH.   Yes that pike you had out on the ice for 5 minutes in the cold swam away, but how far did it really make it with it's frozen eyes and skin. 
Give it a thought and take it upon yourself to take better care of the pike we have left, because the way it's going right now is a one way street in the wrong direction.
Take care of the fishery and the fishery will take care of you.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #164 on: Mar 27, 2015, 12:05 PM »
I hate to have to be the bearer of bad news to all you Flat loving pike fishermen.  There is a reason why the pike fishing is worse and worse every year.  Put it this way a very high percentage of the fish I handled on the flats this year had fresh hook marks, torn gills and/or line wrap marks.  Also the once immense average girths has dropped in size on average.   Whether the girth drop is due to people cutting off treble hooks in the fish or infection making difficult for them to feed or whatever it may be.  It ISN'T from a lack of feed availability.  The one Saturday I was out this year there must of been 100 trucks parked along the plowed road.  All of which had fishermen fishing around them.  Unfortunately that pressure does an immense amount of damage to once world class fishery.  I'm not saying it is dead or that there is not any big fish left but I know for a fact that there is a lot less of them around then when I first dropped a bait on the flats many years ago.  I'm not sure what the answer is to help the fishery rebound but I have one suggestion.  Circle hooks rather than trebles is my suggestion.  I recently gave them a chance and found that my hook up percentage was very similar if not better than treble rigs.  Also 95% of the fish we caught on them were hooked right in the corner of the mouth.  Therefore easy and QUICK to remove as well as less likely to cause infection or DEATH.   Yes that pike you had out on the ice for 5 minutes in the cold swam away, but how far did it really make it with it's frozen eyes and skin. 
Give it a thought and take it upon yourself to take better care of the pike we have left, because the way it's going right now is a one way street in the wrong direction.

Can I help you down off of your high horse? Are you done? The fact is there is still great fishing to be had (just because it's not posted here doesn't mean the big ones aren't being caugt), and the big ones came out just as much as any other year, the pressure is as it always has been on Tobin, the proper regs are in place, and most people don't abuse the fishery, so don't try and make it out to be some over fished death trap, it's not.  :tipup:

If you want an answer as to why there haven't been tipup busting days at the end of the season, like in years past, it's because two weeks ago they opened up the dam and started letting water out which stirs things up and the visability is the craps, same thing in late December they had to open up the river and let water in, which made the river portion cloudy through some of the best walleye fishing days.

Just some "FACTS" to inform you with.

Offline HoggON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat it or beat it!
« Reply #165 on: Mar 27, 2015, 01:44 PM »
Hahahahaha are you that blind to notice the fishing pressure has increased greatly out there.  I realize everyone has just as much of a right to be there as myself, but why not take the extra step to run a hook style that increases the survival rate.   
One way street if we don't act on it.  But unfortunately there is enough people that don't care about the well being of the fishery as long as they get a photo to go home with.

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #166 on: Mar 27, 2015, 02:10 PM »
Hoggon.  You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to protect the fishery further.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #167 on: Mar 28, 2015, 11:22 AM »
hang on.......gotta go get the popcorn maker fired up...nothing i like more than a good ole soap opera....be right back so dont fire any shots while im gone

Offline whitetail/walleyefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #168 on: Mar 28, 2015, 05:23 PM »
I can't speak for the flats as I'm not much of a pike guy anymore, but as far as the walleye go, I had a couple of the best days of fishing I've ever had through the ice this year on Tobin. There definitely is 5 or 6 spots that are very pressured, but thats a pretty damn small portion of the lake that actually gets fished. There is so much untapped water at Tobin. Our best days by far were where nobody was within at lest a mile of us. People just tend to conglomerate at the easy access points, cause they heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that their friend did good there lol! I do agree that everyone needs to take care of the fish they catch, but as far as catching fish... I think its as good as its ever been for me

Offline BlindIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Mar 28, 2015, 06:08 PM »
Unfortunately he is right. I live in Nipawin and a fished this lake for many years. I have even stop doing the tournaments because the fishing is so bad. There's not a whole lot of walleyes between two and 5 pounds left in the lake. Also the large ones are down in numbers because of this. 26 years ago at the first premieres you couldn't keep the big walleyes off the line now you'd be lucky if you can catch two in a day. The high-pressure and everybody keeping the smaller ones and the high water certainly did not help the situation. They should put a zero limit on the lake and keep it as a trophy Lake.

Offline HoggON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat it or beat it!
« Reply #170 on: Mar 28, 2015, 10:31 PM »
  A normal quick strike rig which I myself was guilty of using can easily get deep into the throat of a big pike no matter what size of bait you have on.  Removing the a treble from a pikes throat can be a challenge to some everyday anglers not to mention someone who does it once or even 10 times a year.   Cutting them off?????  What do you think the survival is on that?  I have my doubts.  I've seen pike in other lakes that are long (obviously a once healthy fish) but who were so skinny and sick looking we had to cut them open.  What did we find but a treble in their stomach. 
My input likely won't do one bit of difference to what people are doing but I myself am going to 100% circle hooks to not only increase my survival rates but to keep my spots hopefully good spots for more years to come.   I feal my hook up rate is the same if not better on them and coffin corner hook ups 9 out 10 times.   Win Win in my books.   Honestly if everyone ran them on their Tip Up`s the pike fishery might have a fighting chance. 
One person at a time.  Give it an honest shot, I did and I wished I had years ago. 
The eyes...... Well thats another discussion all together. 

B19

« Reply #171 on: Mar 28, 2015, 11:23 PM »
We recently started using circle hooks on our pike tip ups. Our success rate as far as landing fish has certainly went up and most fish are just hooked in the side of their mouths which makes for fast easy releases but solid hook sets

Offline Medic1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Mar 28, 2015, 11:38 PM »
How do you rig the circle hooks with tip ups? Are you using a single hook or 2 like a quick strike rig?

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #173 on: Mar 29, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Nice Pike gomwitdawind Congrats.   
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline PikeMaster91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #174 on: Mar 29, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Are guys still driving trucks onto the flats? And as for the fishing I'm not sure what everyone is pissy about fishing has been amazing for me all year long every trip with at least one 40" pike

Offline sask187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #175 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Fished the flats Friday and Saturday, can drive a truck anywhere on the flats, Stay off the plowed trail there are a couple soft spots on it.  Lots of trucks out there on the weekend.  Fishing was pretty slow for nothing over 40.

Offline PikeMaster91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Mar 30, 2015, 10:34 AM »
Fished the flats Friday and Saturday, can drive a truck anywhere on the flats, Stay off the plowed trail there are a couple soft spots on it.  Lots of trucks out there on the weekend.  Fishing was pretty slow for nothing over 40.
Thanks for the info! Am almost there now see how it goes!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.