Author Topic: Lake Lenore/St Brieux 2014-2015  (Read 23665 times)

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
Lake Lenore/St Brieux 2014-2015
« on: Nov 10, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Post all the happenings on these two beauty Central SK Lakes here.  :tipup:

It's cold hardwater season is coming!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Lenore/St Brieux 2014-2015
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:56 AM »
With this cold weather can anyone report is St Brieux is locked up yet?

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2014, 09:00 AM »
I was wondering the same thing. I walked across a couple of dugouts yesterday and the ice was solid. Wont be long if these temps keep up.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2014, 01:25 PM »
I can confirm it's frozen over (St. Brieux that is) with some snow on top.  No idea how much ice though.

Offline nicemustang

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Big lake is also froze over now. Small lake as well on Tuesday night. Bays have decent ice already. I'll be trying fishing sat morning.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:33 PM »
Let us know how much ice you find Mustang.

Offline colt25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I plan on hitting Lenore on sunday to check ice.

Offline kevo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Went out on small lake straight out from the boat launch 5 inches of ice was only out about 50m

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Fished St Brieux N. end out from park today, 3.5-4" where I  Fished 14, 17, 19 ft.  of water  33.5 F. at the first  2  holes ,found warmer 34.8 at 19 ft. and some fish,  landed  a small eye and couple Perch, played with a couple large and very smart Jumbo Perch multiple times , tried hard  but could not get the 2 Jumbo's to commit.!Fun to watch on the Marcum even if u zero out !,  I wear ice spikes around the neck, and an inflatable pfd when walking , spuding as I go.Caution ice is still thin in spots. Fish safe.

Offline TulibeeKing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • <'))><
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Thinking about going out to the little lake Saturday.  Anyone else going to go out Saturday? :tipup:

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2014, 11:13 AM »
I am giving the little lake a try tomorrow. will let you know how the bite is or isnt.
 :tipup:

Offline TulibeeKing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • <'))><
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2014, 02:32 PM »
right on.  be save out there, let us know how much ice is out there.  :tipup:

Offline nicemustang

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:11 PM »
7" of ice so i'm told.

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Fished Big Lake today, 10 inches but jagged and broken and white, winds early at freeze up were not kind to some bays  Windy so lots of loud cracking where I fished. Fish were hungry , 6 small eyes, dozen big Perch largest bigger than most of the walleye LOL! Bonked two Jumbo Perch for the pan.Fish safe

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:45 PM »
your a lucky man hope to get out there soon

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Fished both Lenore Lakes today spent about 3 hours on the small lake and 3.5 out in front of Lungs.
Caught 2 walleye and a pike on the little lake and two more eyes on the big one. Ice was  just about exactly10 inches everywhere I drilled. I have marks on my skimmer at 5 ten and 14 inches.
  Sidescan is right about the ice in front of Lungs wind must have broke it up after it first froze looks frazzled but it is ten inches thick. I walked out but I did see two guys drive out in a half ton.
  Fishing was slow and I drilled 30 some holes anywhere from 12 feet to 26 feet . I caught tw0 eyes in 12 feet of water and two at 24 feet.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Nice going sidescan & angerbrian. :tipup:
Good to hear the fish was decent out there, and the ice is that thick. :)

WW

Offline Lprefs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Hey Guys,
I've been reading about Lake Lenore for a couple years on the threads but I have yet to fish there.  The family has a cabin at Wakaw, so I've done some fishing in that area but I'm looking to branch out and I think this will be the year to try LL.  Can you guys give me any pointers on where to start as far as access and spots to try?  I'm pretty good with maps and gps / google earth for getting onto the lake.  What kind of baits and presentations should someone start working with out there for perch and walters?  Any help greatly appreciated, feel free to PM it by all means.  Cheers :)

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Had a decent day on St Brieux today some jumbo perch and a few walleye. Kept 7 perch and 2 Walleye.
The bigger perch were finnicky today and I had to downsize to a genz worm and wolfram jig in tandem each tipped with half a mealworm.
 All of the Walleye and a few perch were caught on my string of darters. This is on my deadstick as a decoy.

I lost a few genz worms today probably to bigger Walleye or pike. There would be a tug and then slack line.
The 4lb fluoro cant handle sharp teeth. It seemed every time the sun came out the perch would get hungry.
 Only 8 inches of ice on St Brieux with a few inches of snow cover. I fished straight out from the boat launch until I found 15-22 feet of water, over half way to the West side. I got my exercise today hauling all my gear.

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:47 PM »
Nice fish anglerbrian.  You just string up your dead stick like that and let it sit there?  If so I'm impressed.  Learnt something new today.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Nice fish anglerbrian.  You just string up your dead stick like that and let it sit there?  If so I'm impressed.  Learnt something new today.
Yes ShawnR I just set it on a bucket within arms reach so I can lift it and drop it slowly once in awhile. I try to keep it far enough from my jigging hole that there are no tangles when I catch a fish on the jig pole. There is the danger of a big pike coming and getting away with 4 darters. I use 6lb fluoro to join them. I guess you could go heavier. I set the sensitivity on my flasher so I can see both holes but concentrate mostly on my jigging.

Offline HellzBells

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take off to the Great White North
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:02 PM »
anglerbrian I like the look of that monstrosity! I'll be trying that my first weekend on the ice for sure. 

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Nice to hear you found some action on St.Brieux, anglerbrian, those are good numbers of fish. :)

Neat rig you made there. I like it also.  @)

Last winter I made something on the similar principle of attraction. My rig has 4 rubber skirts spaced evenly apart along a heavier length of mono.
After the 4 skirt I attach a snap swivel or steel leader. This rig is mainly for pike and burbot, but it should work on walleye and perch also. 
When you jig the rod the 4 skirts flair out and then contract in the water.
I have used it a few times last winter with not bad results.
I set it up fairly high in the water so the fish can get a good look at all the lures from below.

WW

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2014, 12:41 PM »
Hey W.W. that does sound like another good attractor rig. It is fun to experiment and try different methods to catch fish.
I found one of your posts from last year on quick strike rigs and made a couple out of heavier fluoro. Havent tried them yet because I have been perch fishing but going to give them a try for pike and possibly walleye one of these days.

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2014, 01:02 PM »
Yes, interesting rig Angler Brian. Just a reminder for the newbies out there that you're allowed max four hooks on one line in SK. A treble counts as one hook. So Angler Brian removed one of the trebles from each lure. Looks like it also helped for stringing them together by using the eyelet for the treble.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Yes, interesting rig Angler Brian. Just a reminder for the newbies out there that you're allowed max four hooks on one line in SK. A treble counts as one hook. So Angler Brian removed one of the trebles from each lure. Looks like it also helped for stringing them together by using the eyelet for the treble.
hey basdif take another look this is what the regulations state. 
"it is unlawful to use more than four hooks on one line"
 Hook:  (a lure with a gang of hooks is considered one hook)."
So even if you don't remove the second treble it is still considered one hook.
 I wouldnt try it though because it would make for some awful tangles.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2014, 03:52 PM »
The regulations even have definitions for some common terms and this is what they consider a hook.
Hook: a single or multi-pointed hook
on a common shaft or an artificial lure
that has one or more single or multi
pointed hooks attached as part of it.
Hope this clears it all up.

Offline OD0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Great idea anglerbrian, do you find that the benefit is more in attracting fish than actually landing fish on that lure?  I can't imagine having a fish bite one of the hooks and getting tangled up in the other 7 treble hooks would be much fun, so good on you for thinking ahead and removing half of the hooks!  I'll have to look into trying something like that!  Cheers

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:25 PM »
I actually made up one of those rigs last night after seeing your pictures, i am excited to try it.  I happened to have 3 darters on hand so i strung them together with snap swivels (so i could easily take them apart when wanted) using 25 lb flouro leader material.  I left both trebles on the lowest darter and instead of a 4th darter (which i didnt have) i took the treble off a little whitefish imitation spoon and attached it to the top of the rig.  Hoping to try it out friday after work if i can get out to blackstrap.  Otherwise i don't think i can get out until next weekend sadly.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2014, 09:40 PM »
I had thought it would be more just an attractor rig but I caught fish on the top darter and the bottom two. The heavier fluoro is probably a good Idea. There are some monster pike roaming around here. Looks like some colder weather for the next few days maybe the lakes will be driveable in the next week or two.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.