Author Topic: Lake Lenore/St Brieux 2014-2015  (Read 23666 times)

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
Re: Lake Lenore/St Brieux 2014-2015
« Reply #60 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Way to go Saskoutdoorsman nice haul, and a fun day on the ice. It's great when a plan comes together.  :)
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline colt25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:28 AM »
Great catch. Way better luck than our group had. I'm just heading out to lake Lenore to try again today!

Offline Young Catcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:52 AM »
Which day is for 2015 lake Lenore ice fishing derby? Thanks

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Jan.17

Offline Pollock fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Can't wait it's a fun tourney.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #65 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Congrats on the good fishing saskoutdoorsman. :icefish:
You really found the jumbos that afternoon. :)

WW

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Anyone know if vehicles are driving to the south end of St. Brieux?

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:04 AM »
Does anyone have any recent info on ice/snow conditions and if people have been safely driving on at either lake lenore south boat launch or lungs boat launch?  Also any info on how the fishing has been would be great too and what depths have been working for everyone?  Were you at south lake lenore saskoutdoorsman? 

I am going out with my old man on satuday and it would be preferable to drive out wherever we fish or we could also be fine with walking out if we could get to decent fishing areas/depths within a reasonable walking distance.  If walking out was a better option where do you think we might have better luck?

I have fished the south end of lenore in a boat once at the end of october and we did alright.  Actually caught our only walleye right out in front of the boat launch in about 13 fow.  If fishing in 10-15 fow would produce at the south end of lenore we could easily walk out that far, however i assume that is probably around where the shanty village is?  Im not sure how far out we would have to go to get into the 20 to 30 fow range if that would be the better place to fish?

I have never fished the big lake at lenore but if i recall correctly the lungs area is supposed to drop off pretty quickly to 30 feet of water?  Any one have any advice for going out there?  I am currently thinking i might want to try there if we go just to try out a different spot.  If we can drive on there is it worth heading out from there or is the fishing pretty decent right in that area?

Thanks everyone for any help.

edit - is this the lungs boat launch??

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/52%C2%B029'11.6%22N+105%C2%B000'14.7%22W/@52.486565,-105.00407,369m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:03 AM »
bump!

Just wondering if anyone has any recent info on the lake.  With all these vehicles going through the ice i am thinking we will probably base the trip this weekend on somewhere where we can catch fish withing walking distance just in case the ice is not good.  If we had to walk on would lungs be a decent place to go and catch fish within walking distance of the access point?  What depths would we be best to target?  Do people just generally fish off shore in that area as far out as required to get to the target depth?  Or would fishing further out in the lake away from shore possibly be productive?

Or would we be better off at the south end of lake lenore?

Thanks for any help!

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 19, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Fished Big Lake Lenore this morning. straight out from Lungs but past all the shacks.
Started in 35 ft o water and caught three small eyes and one perch. Fishing got slow so I headed out all over the lake drilling holes. Nothing!!  tried from 10 ft up to 40 feet no go Came back to where I started and caught one more Eye.  Next outing will be Last Mountain Sat or sunday  oh and the ice is good 17 inches plus everywhere I went. If anyone is going to St Brieux be careful it was still only ten inches last sunday and a few slushy spots.

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Fished lenore today, pretty slow until right before dark. Caught 2 perch and a 16" walleye all day. Lots of light bites and flags, probably missed 40 flags. Right before dark the little walleyes started biting hard, both tip ups and all rods were constantly getting hits. Ended up with 8 (mostly small) walleye and 2 perch, kept a 21" and the 16" and the perch were 11.5 and 13 inches

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:06 PM »
I was out on st brieux today.  More snow than I thought there would be.  You would need 4x4 to get back up at the launch.  There's a good main trail down to the south end.  You could still likely drive wherever on the lake.  We drove trucks on and saw a few others.  About 13" of ice where we were.  Fishing was slow. 

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #72 on: Dec 22, 2014, 12:01 PM »
Driving on at Lungs no issue??

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 22, 2014, 07:01 PM »
Clear sailing at Lungs launch and driving on the lake itself is not a problem at least until we get the next dump of snow. .

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #74 on: Dec 23, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Fished lenore today, pretty slow until right before dark. Caught 2 perch and a 16" walleye all day. Lots of light bites and flags, probably missed 40 flags. Right before dark the little walleyes started biting hard, both tip ups and all rods were constantly getting hits. Ended up with 8 (mostly small) walleye and 2 perch, kept a 21" and the 16" and the perch were 11.5 and 13 inches

I gotta say, I'm proud of you for admitting to missing 40 flags, I sure wouldn't.. then again I would never miss 40 flags.. haha. Good to hear you caught some fish though
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Dec 23, 2014, 05:58 PM »
 pretty pompous statement but whatever..

SODM i wonder if you could have been getting false trips from the wind, maybe you had the trigger sensitivity set too light?  40 flags without one hook up is crazy!  rotten bait?

Offline wally wacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Dec 23, 2014, 06:58 PM »
I had a problem with missed flags last year also till I caught a 10 inch walleye on a 7 inch smelt, the little walleye were picking the smelts up and swimming off then dropping them watched several do it on camera, they could hardly get there mouth around the smelts looked very funny

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 23, 2014, 07:35 PM »
haha that's great.. my old man got a whitefish on a large smelt under a tip up one time no hooks just wouldn't let go of the tail! 

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #78 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:26 AM »
pretty pompous statement but whatever..

SODM i wonder if you could have been getting false trips from the wind, maybe you had the trigger sensitivity set too light?  40 flags without one hook up is crazy!  rotten bait?

Was it even necessary to make such a comment if it were "whatever"?. Missing 40 flags is a ridiculous number, do I miss the odd flag, sure, everyone does. It's absolutely ridiculously that someone can't make a comment about something that anyone who's a seasoned fisherman would find comical, understanding a point of personal frustration if it were them in his shoes without some troll reply.

As mentioned, I was, an I am sincerely glad he caught some fish. Even if he didn't there was definitely a memory made as he's unlikely to experience a day where he misses such a high volume of flags again.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Ok guys lets keep this about the lake, this isn't e place to tell lost flag stories or b***h at each other. Save that for the LML thread ;)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 24, 2014, 10:01 AM »
 dbk is right back to regularly scheduled programming and i'll stay out of these touchy southern threads  :)

good luck to those lucky enough to be fishing over the holidays.

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 24, 2014, 02:51 PM »
There were no wind flags, I have always set them into the wind so they don't get mistakenly set off. It was due to large numbers of small walleye and perch. Every flag we got was turning when we got to it, and we had many of them on the line. Changed the next day to a one size larger hook in the minnows and got less flags but more hook ups. The fish were a bit more willing to take the whole minnow as well after the fog burned off. Lots would hit it, set the flag off, drop it, and come back to hit it 4 or 5 times before taking the whole thing. Also was fishing with guys inexperienced with using tip ups who would get excited and try to set it early. I see no problem in admitting to losing so many flags, it happens sometimes. A small change in tackle made a big difference and it was still an awesome day that kept us running constantly.  The next day we took a guy out who had never seen perch over 11" and caught 9 over that size as well as 6 walleye and he was pumped. Been doing great at lenore and will be going to Lac La plonge after boxing day.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Dec 24, 2014, 03:09 PM »
There were no wind flags, I have always set them into the wind so they don't get mistakenly set off. It was due to large numbers of small walleye and perch. Every flag we got was turning when we got to it, and we had many of them on the line. Changed the next day to a one size larger hook in the minnows and got less flags but more hook ups. The fish were a bit more willing to take the whole minnow as well after the fog burned off. Lots would hit it, set the flag off, drop it, and come back to hit it 4 or 5 times before taking the whole thing. Also was fishing with guys inexperienced with using tip ups who would get excited and try to set it early. I see no problem in admitting to losing so many flags, it happens sometimes. A small change in tackle made a big difference and it was still an awesome day that kept us running constantly.  The next day we took a guy out who had never seen perch over 11" and caught 9 over that size as well as 6 walleye and he was pumped. Been doing great at lenore and will be going to Lac La plonge after boxing day.

I've ran into days with lots of missed flags on LL and Brieux it's those sneaky small walleye, put out a camera after missing my 5th or 6th. Looking forward to lots of holiday fishing, out on Lungs, Tobin, and hopefully Whelan Bay.  :tipup:

Offline Lprefs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Dec 24, 2014, 05:23 PM »
DBK, I'll be out at lungs on the 27, maybe 28, then also going to Whelan on the 30th. Blue clam pop up if you see us stop come say hi, be good to start meeting some iceshanty people.

Offline Captainmorgan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I don't believe anything on this forum
« Reply #84 on: Dec 31, 2014, 08:41 AM »
Me and my brother are thinking about heading out for a day at St.brieux tomorrow. Anyone have any reports on ice thickness? Any pointers on where to find some perch would be appreciated as well. Thanks

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 31, 2014, 08:54 AM »
I haven't been on brieux personally but I've heard that its safe to drive across and is a truck trail all the way to south end. But I have also heard that the fishing has been really slow. I have my permanent shack on LL and haven't just lit it on fire but we are catching a few eyes couple good sized pike and the odd big perch....we work for every fish and its not just super hot fishing. There have been some real nice perch being caught but just not big numbers of them like briuex used to cough up regularly. I think a good amount of breiuxs perch have leaked south into LL. I plan on fishing the next couple days on LL and breiux so I will report what I find if I do try north on breiux.

Offline Captainmorgan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:23 AM »
Thanks for the info. I drive a heavy truck so I'll likely walk out at first. Haha. Taking some young kids out so hopefully we find some perch.

Offline whitepoplar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:48 AM »
I drove down from boat launch on the 27th with dodge diesel no issues  no bites either and the CO's checking for licensees  but hey that's their job  :)

Offline Captainmorgan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Fished sun up to sun down. 5 guys, not even a bite.....lol. Covered depths from 6'-18'

Offline wally wacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 01, 2015, 09:35 PM »
was at lungs today caught a walleye on the drop about 3 pounds at 11 and then nothing on the camera or flasher moved out into the narrows and never marked any fish there either. We covered 21 to 26 feet of water. moved into the small lake and began to see walleye along a drop from 15 to 20 feet managed to pick off a few 16 inchers but very slow only saw maybe 10 walleye all day on camera and marked very few on the flasher don't know where they go in the winter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.