Author Topic: Lake Lenore/St Brieux 2014-2015  (Read 23670 times)

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Lenore/St Brieux 2014-2015
« Reply #30 on: Nov 27, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Thanks Angler Brian for explaining the hooks rule. Who's the newbie now?! Haha. I just always considered a hook to be a hook. Not a lure with as many hooks on it as you want. Anyway, sounds like a lot of people are going to be trying this rig out. Looking forward to hearing results.

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 27, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Good day on Perch ,walleye, St. Brieux lake south end  12-16 feet of water, 8 inches ice, with some water on the ice in one spot, 4 of snow, it got cold and windy later in day. A dead deer on ice  close to where I fished so plenty of raven's,and even couple coyote's when I first showed up to watch out the popup window for entertainment couple hundred meters away. Plenty of snow forecast so drive and fish safe. 

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #32 on: Nov 28, 2014, 01:28 AM »
Only 8" hey, that's surprising.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #33 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:27 AM »
I was surprised as well since the Lenore Lakes were both 10 inches every spot I drilled. I dont think St Brieux is any deeper so maybe the water make up is a little different. With the colder temps it should be driveable in a couple of weeks.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:47 AM »
I'll bet money that there will be trucks on both LL and Brieux this weekend, not saying it's safe to drive on, but I'd put cash down that guys will be driving on, seems like every three years or so someone from Lake Lenore puts a truck through, crazy buggers. I thought last year we would see one for sure, with the snow we had early there was 12" in some spots, and then in places where the snow was there could be as little as 4-5".

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 28, 2014, 11:00 AM »
snow might be blowing off good today or drifting

Offline Lprefs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 28, 2014, 07:56 PM »
 So I'm confused about where lungs is. I've had different people tell me three different thing, is lungs on the northwest small finger bays? Or along the west shore in the centre? Or is lungs down off the southwest bay?  Thanks!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:23 PM »
So I'm confused about where lungs is. I've had different people tell me three different thing, is lungs on the northwest small finger bays? Or along the west shore in the centre? Or is lungs down off the southwest bay?  Thanks!

It's on Lake Lenore  ;)

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:50 PM »
Here ya go!

Edit - i have seen this map before but i just noticed the lake shoreline is pretty damn different from 2007 to the current google maps satellite image!  Looks like the water must be a fair bit higher now.  Is that rise in water level what caused St Brieux and Lenore to connect (again?) recently?  What year did that happen?  I heard lenore used to be too salty in the past to sustain fish but that higher water levels allowed it too, and that St brieux occasionally connects to lenore and disconnects.

Offline colt25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Got the shack out on the big lake today. Towed it out with the sled. caught 3 walleye and 1 pike. ice was 14" where we drilled.

Offline bb73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Fished the small lake today,pretty slow,a couple small pike and missed a couple bites

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:48 AM »
I have not fished this lake in about 6-7 yrs.

Its a good hr from pa, and thinking about taking my oldest daughter out for an am or pm.  Can anyone that fishes it regularily point me in the right direction. Just looking for a little action for her and would rather focus on a spot or 2 than drilling all over.

I appreciate any info on advance and will keep it to myself

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:02 AM »
I have not fished this lake in about 6-7 yrs.

Its a good hr from pa, and thinking about taking my oldest daughter out for an am or pm.  Can anyone that fishes it regularily point me in the right direction. Just looking for a little action for her and would rather focus on a spot or 2 than drilling all over.

I appreciate any info on advance and will keep it to myself

Your inbox is full.  Lots of people fish just straight out from the launch on St. Brieux.  Not sure if you can drive out yet or not, but if you can't that would be your best bet.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:03 AM »
I am assuming you would probably go to st brieux as it is closer to PA.  In my experience with the lake in the winter you probably would be fine just going out from the boat launch at the regional park.  When i have been there, there was a little shanty village that sets up there and it seems like people consistently catch fish there.  In my experience in the summer there i caught fish almost everywhere along the shoreline for the whole distance of the lake while trolling.  Lots of people shore fish and were catching pretty well right close to the boat launch too.  If you had access to a snowmobile or were willing to drive further on to the lake then you might wanna try spots further out but i don't know if it would be absolutely necessary unless the boat launch area was slow.  I am sure there are some better sweet spots on the lake but i have caught fish in the summer and winter right at the launch area.

Good luck!

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:02 AM »
great   thank you.

how far out approx?
and just straight out from launch?

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:53 PM »
you could go straight out or off to the sides, i don't think any particular spot would be guaranteed to be better than another.  I would try anything from 10-30 ft of water.  I would probably try in the 10-15 ft range to start as that is where we were catching fish in october when i was there.

When i was there in middle to late winter last year we just picked a relatively open spot in the middle of the shanty village.  It wasn't a crazy day but we got about 4 fish and it seemed like everyone around us was getting a few too.  I would just work different depths if you weren't having luck at your current spot.

If you don't really want to move around a lot and drill a lot of holes like you said, I think you stand a pretty good chance of getting at least a few fish by setting up in that area.

Good luck!

edit - i am also thinking of heading out to st brieux on saturday with my dad and uncle, so be sure to post how things go for ya!

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Fished Brieux today,  measured 9 inches of ice everywhere I drilled.4 Perch 2 northern 0 walleye in 20ft.water, 12-16 foot produced nothing . I fished south of parking lot past the one hut on the lake in that area. Fellow dragged his permanent hut south with sled had a hard time with the snow in waves and drifts like it is. I count three huts so far on lake total.Truck drove onto lake at parking lot but did not venture far 30 yds or so drilled a couple holes fished for a very short time and left. Maybe it was the 9 inches of ice, but when I left his tracks water in them inch deep maybe that was it.Water on ice in two spots I fished today. Snow has not been good for making ice.  Walk out from parking lot would be my advise, 150 yds. your in 16-21 ft, should be other folk around on weekend as well. Fish safe.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2014, 11:50 PM »
Hey Canada,

Did you make it out?  if so how did ya do and what were things like there.  heading up tomorrow myself and will post results.

Good luck this weekend everyone!

Offline colt25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:15 AM »
Got 7 walleye on the big Lake yesterday.  Kept 2 for fish fry in the Shack. Headed out again this morning.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 06, 2014, 01:22 PM »
didn't make it out.  I may be off tues am if someone in interested in meeting up for fishing.  Likely to hit a lake n of pa tmrw.

Hey Canada,

Did you make it out?  if so how did ya do and what were things like there.  heading up tomorrow myself and will post results.

Good luck this weekend everyone!

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 06, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Great day on St Brieux today. 1st time driving on only ten inches of good black ice under 5 inches of snow.
Lots of trucks out but we didnt venture too far.  Just a little south of the launch. My buddy caught most of the fish today but I had fun watching them chase my lures up and down and thumbing their nose at me.

I managed only 1 walleye and 1 perch but it was a nice jumbo.  Hyperhawk caught the ones in the picture.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Congrats anglerbrian!

My luck today was not so hot... I was towing my boat down to melfort to store at my uncles compound for the winter and the bearings/tire/hub all went to crap  Couldn't tell you what happened first and what caused what but she wasnt pretty.  Happened just before wakaw coming from saskatoon.  May not be a terrible fix overall but it was heartbreaking as my plan was to drop the boat off in melfort, pick up my uncle and head out to st brieux to fish.  instead i ended up have to go rent a 18 ft trailer in melfort, come back for the boat at wakaw and drag the boat up on the trailer and take it back to melfort then return the trailer.  after all that we got to st brieux around 3:30 and stayed until about 5.  We were in about 15 ft of water and didn't see a fish for the brief time we were there.

I was blown away by the number of trucks out on the ice there today.  some guys were even parking pretty damn close to each other.  We measured the ice at about 10 inches too and walked out.  Every time a truck drove by there was some decent cracking and water would push up out the hole.

Were you in the the eskimo 6 man anglerbrian?  I was in the other eskimo 6 man that showed up late and walked out.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 07, 2014, 05:34 AM »
Hey ggpr sorry about the rough start to your day. We were just south of you in the black dodge ram. we watched you set up about an hour before we left. We saw something even more amazing than the two trucks parked side by side. There was a bigger truck pulling a good sized camper, They came on at the boat launch and proceeded south down the lake then headed west over some of the deeper water on the lake and right up to the west shore. They were going so fast you could hear all kinds of popping and thumping. My buddy and I just looked at each other and said holY sh..!  but they made it. Sounds like some warmer temps above freezing from tues to friday so the ice wont be growing much if at all this next week. Hope you have better luck on your next outing.

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Perch and the jacks were biting, walleye were picky, fished 16-22 ft. still 10 inches of ice on south end of St. Brieux in the three spots I fished. Water on ice in a few spots with the melt down. Today  going to +5C it will make it interesting when it  freezes. Wish it would stay colder. Slow going with the wet snow, snowmobile was pulling hard. Time to head North and check out  the walleye bite on Summit and Lost Echo for 3-4 days, both fished good this summer. Maybe give Little Bear a shot for a laker if I get the time, been a while since I iced a lake trout.  Fish safe.

Offline timbertomjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Has anyone drove out onto lungs the last few days?

Offline colt25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Sitting in Shack right now.  Lots of trucks on ice. no trouble driving around.  Terribly slow day.  One walleye.  One pike. Marked a few on flasher but can't get them to bite so far.

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Where are people driving onto the ice. Was there much water along shoreline

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:04 AM »
Great day at lenore yesterday. Got there about 1:00, moved to my usual spot away from the group of shacks (where I've never seen anyone else fish) and started hammering them. Ended up with 16 perch and 4 walleye. 13 of the perch were over 12", with 3 over or at 14". 3 of the walleye were caught after the sun started to go down

Offline bb73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:59 AM »
looks like ya had a great afternoon,nice work,any chance you tell where you went on sodm.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:02 AM »
great catch!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.