The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to Wisconsin (Madison area), new to hard water  (Read 1581 times)

Offline NW89

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Wisconsin (Madison area), new to hard water
« on: Nov 09, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Hey Folks,

I'm a new member on the site, new to Wisconsin and pretty new to hard water.  I'm a midwest native, long-time hunter and open-water fisherman but just recently got introduced and hooked to the hard water world.  I spend most of the year as a wildland firefighter in the Western states but moved to Madison area for the winter months.

Looking forward to and eager to learn more about ice fishing in general and around the area.  Enjoy meeting and fishing with new folks as well as any advice along the way.  If you'd like to get together sometime this winter let me know.

Tight lines, see ya out there.

Nate

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New to Wisconsin (Madison area), new to hard water
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2014, 11:23 PM »
Welcome. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:05 PM »
Welcome, this will be my 2nd winter in Madison so I was in your shoes a bit last year. (but had ice experience in IA previously)

Lots of water here, lots of fisherpeople, and some fish to catch at times. I don't have anything fancy but we make it work and usually catch something. If you'd like to meet sometime I'd be willing depending on the place and time.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Welcome Nate.  I get out when I can, and live on west side.  Typically fish near town, but occasionally take some trips.  Lets keep in touch, and hopefully we can get out on some early ice in a few weeks.  A lot of older guys in Madison will try to be secretive about their spots, but that's because they keep everything that comes through the hole, and assume everyone else does the same.  I love catching, and keep a few only once in a while.  So, I don't mind sharing info.  I've got some fun toys to make it easier on the big lakes.

Kevin

Offline NW89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys, I'd love to meet up and get out whenever possible.  I am the same way about my fishing; just enjoy getting out on the water/ice, good company, and learning whatever I can.

I'm either unable (or competent) to send PM's but I'll keep working on it and we can figure something out when the time comes.

Nate

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Nate,

I'm not able to send you an email or pm either.  Lets keep in touch via this board, and maybe we can hook up that way.

Kevin

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:00 AM »
I live on the W side of Madison too, don't normally keep anything. My wife and I just like to get out and give it a try when we have time.

I think you need a certain amount of posts before you can PM on this site. It's only like 4 or 5, so post a few more times in some random place and you should be able to. I have no toys for big water, so I'm interested too  ;D  I can't catch anything on the big lakes here so we normally stick to smaller waters or stuff outside the metro.

Offline NW89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Thanks for the info on the PM's Cyclone.

I'm looking forward to hitting some the smaller waters on the outskirts of town as well, hopefully sooner rather than later.  I haven't fished much big water myself but I'm eager to learn it.

Keep in touch, looks like the cold is going to stay around a bit.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2014, 04:56 PM »
I'll add one more post to the list.  Hope it works.  I got rigged with an atv a couple years ago and had pretty good luck perch fishing on Mendota this last season.  I know some big cats can be had through the ice out there, and the walleyes, although tough to get, run big (as do the pike).  I don't have many die hard friends that will go out at night for the big ones, but I'm in if there is company.  Have a portable and a heater to make it more comfortable out there. 

FS

Offline NW89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:52 PM »
FS got your PM, apparently I need a couple more until I'm eligible to send ::)

Offline NW89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:53 PM »
 :tipup:

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:54 PM »
Got them Nate.  Sent one back, but confused because it thought you copied another user on it, so my msg might be confusing.  Lets get out there...my prediction is Monona Bay will have guys fishing by next weekend.  I will wait a few days after the first brave soul out there.  But will be out soon.

FS

Offline Dunnrite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Hey Nate

Just moved to Madison area this fall as well but from Indianapolis.  Have all my equipment ready for the hard water season just waiting for some "safe" ice.  Would like the chance to meet up this winter and hit one of the area lakes with ya while your over here for any species that's biting.

Being from Indy I'm mostly an open water guy as well but love hearing ice crunch under my feet.

-Wes

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Good to see some Madison fisherpeople getting pumped up for the season! It won't be long now with these cold temps, Maybe next weekend? It's darn cold out there and it's making ice, nice and calm today, good icemaking weather! Now this oldtimer has been fishing the Madison lakes for over 45 years and know them well. Always excited to see the younger crowd get into ice fishing, it's a great sport! I know the lakes well here in Madison and can offer tips and suggestions if you are struggling, I would love to help. I always get my fish at early ice (very productive) and usually catch and release later in the year. Always good to get out and explore those untapped waters, like Wingra or Monona during the winter, lots of ice out there, it helps to get away from the crowds and explore!

Offline NW89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2014, 10:27 PM »
Thanks for the responses Dunnrite and Madgill, I'm looking forward to getting out as well! 

Definitely eager to learn some tips of the trade from those that have been ice fishing awhile, as well as have experience in the Madison area.

Lets keep in touch!

Offline TuckerGrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:21 PM »
I'm also new to ice fishing and live near Westport. I have no clue what I'm doing, but once I park the kayak I will be trying to figure out how to catch fish on the ice. Be happy to join others and learn the ways.

Offline lazypaddler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Hi guys, I picked up ice fishing a few years ago and would love to meet up with you.  i've had little luck on the local lakes so I've been looking into some of the out laying areas. Keep me in the loop, eh?

Offline lazypaddler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Oh, I also have an old flip over and a pop up hub and would be willing to hang out into the night watching tip ups.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Waiting on new auger...ugh!  Have hand auger with dull blades and older gas strikemaster that won't start.  Decided to buy new propane but thought I would save a few bucks and order online, and its been 3 days and I can't get ahold of the store.  Is there anyone getting out over the next three days that I can use their auger?  I would supply bait and donate my catch if you want...I just want to get out (company would be nice too).  Madgill, I sent you a PM also.

Any help for an auger-less ice junkie?

FS

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Is Cherokee much for a winter fishery or just always the place with first ice where people can work the kinks out? I've been on it in open water and it's all mud bottom and shallow. Just wondering if it's worth my time this weekend. (or ever)

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Saw 2 guys on Monona Bay today, but there are open spots in the middle.  They were near the corner by Park St.  I bet we see guys on Upper Mud soon too, as I know ice was there on east end Monday.

FS

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:01 PM »
Anyone been out lately? I'm hoping to get out this weekend, at least one if not both days for a couple hours. Any ice reports? Anyone want to meet up? Have flasher, auger, shack, etc, will travel (to a point)

Offline NW89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:12 PM »
I haven't been out yet, planning on checking some smaller ponds later this week.  I'll let you know and maybe we can get together soon. 

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:38 AM »
I've decided I'm not stepping on Upper Mud or Monona Bay this year most likely. Tried both once last year and didn't find much reason to stay, but with the crowds out there that helps make the decision. Anyone actually catching anything or just easy to get to and easy to see other people on the ice when you're driving by?

Offline colsac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:03 AM »
Any Madison area updates fellas?  Going to get back to the state later this week.  Live northwest of Madison and have not fished the area, but always open for new ideas,   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.