Author Topic: Camera control hole cover idea  (Read 938 times)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Camera control hole cover idea
« on: Nov 08, 2014, 10:12 PM »
I just picked up a CFish panning camera.  I've been thinking about what sort of "tripod" to use with the camera and came up with an idea to try.  I have some of that foam-board insulation and I'm thinking that I will cut a round piece of that out of the sheet (the size of a bucket lid) cut a slot in it to the middle and then drill a hole for the cord to go through.  I'll put a stopper on the cable to control the depth.  I'll keep the monitor in the shack and run the camera cord outside a couple of feet to a hole that I'll drill next to the shack.  I'll use the Vex to get the depth of the camera where I want it to be (foot or two off the bottom) and then cover the hole with the foam-board.  Then I go back in the shack and just hit the panner button until I find my jig.  The weight of the camera will hold the foam-board down and the insulation of the foam will keep the hole from freezing.  Meanwhile, I don't have to dedicate a hole inside the shack just for the camera.  I can run the camera in a hole outside the shack. 

I actually found this piece of foam-board in the ditch last spring and figured I would find a use for it.  I was amazed, it has tire tracks on it where someone had driven over it.  I would have guessed that the weight of a vehicle would have crushed that foam but all there is on it is the tire-track.  The foam itself is just fine.  Tough stuff I guess. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: Camera control hole cover idea
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2014, 10:26 PM »
I also drill a hole outside my shack for my camera. I have a Marcum that comes with the panner, so no need for a tripod. You can buy a Marcum panner for about $50.00 and it will work for any camera, All you do is attach your camera cable to the panner and then use the remote to operate the panner.....works great.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2014, 10:28 PM »
Those Marcum panners are a great tool.  The particular camera I just picked up rotates inside a waterproof housing so the cable doesn't move at all, the camera is the only part that spins. 

Offline guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2014, 01:27 PM »
holehopper  i use a -  camera compass - w/mine works great. cabelas sells them. I was thinking of getting same camera. What are  you're  first thoughts?

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2014, 01:37 PM »
I had a buddy that bought one of the c fish camera panner cameras.  The first one lasted 2 trips and the replacement lasted 3 trips.   We talked to a couple of people and they said they were terrible.    When the camera worked it was a pretty clear picture tho.   Maybe they have changed the camera since my friend had his which was about 4 years ago but good luck and don't lose the receipt just incase.

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2014, 01:45 PM »
From a quick Google I see that the camcamera has been updated.  The old one did not pan 360* it was roughly 290* .

Offline guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2014, 01:49 PM »
Thanks W.P.   I know not to expect too much for $200. But like the idea to see 360 and have direction on screen .

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2014, 07:12 PM »
So far so good.  The camera seems to have a good picture and picks up well in low light conditions.  The case is "no frills" with just enough material to cover the monitor and battery and not much more.  The camera itself seems to be very solid.  I would guess the camera is a good pound or so.  The customer service for the co. has been excellent.  I'll get you a report after I get this out on the ice and use it a few times. 

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2014, 07:22 PM »
I bought the c-fish last year and it worked great all season.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2014, 01:41 PM »
The reviews I read before I bought it were very good.  We'll see how it goes.  Thanks Floyd!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.