Author Topic: Ready  (Read 3304 times)

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
Ready
« on: Nov 08, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Everyone got their gear ready for the ice? I'm just about there. Going to have to do more jigging than running this winter I guess. I have a few cheaper fishing poles that I have used in the past. Anyone have any recomendations on a higher quality pole and reel? Also, any thoughts on Jigs? Lets hope lake Lowell freezes up also.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ready
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2014, 10:45 AM »
I like 30" and 36" Ugly Stix rods . For jigs my favorite are white or pink Paddle Bugs .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2014, 10:48 AM »
30" ugly stick and flueger president reel,
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2014, 11:04 AM »
What kind of dollars we talking?

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2014, 11:10 AM »
28" UL Abu Garcia Veritas from cabelas its an amazing rod n reel combo
And so it begins........

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2014, 03:43 PM »
I bought a couple of Ugly Stix combos at sportsmans guide for $ 30 free shipping each . The reels are ok , not great .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2014, 05:05 PM »
I've found several rods that I like quite a bit.  Shakespeare Cajun Ice, HT Ice blues, and HT Cisco series.  I don't believe you can get the Cajun Ice any longer.

My favorite reel on my ice rods is Shimano Sienna 500FD.  Super nice drag, with very small increments on the drag adjustment.  Not too expensive.

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Offline Shivering

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2014, 11:33 PM »
not sure I have a favorite yet.. but one thing learned last year is the cheap ($12-$15) are not very good IMO.
after spending a few more $$ on different rods, there is a difference.
Built a few this summer, will see  how they work.
long story short, spent a few extra dollars. 

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2014, 10:30 AM »
I dont have any complaints about the 30" uglystick combos in medium they seem to do everything well. I did buy some of the new glx rods in medium and they seem more like a light action

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2014, 12:33 PM »
What kind of dollars we talking?

Ugly sticks are $12-$15 I think, the reels are the spendy part, flueger presidents are $60 at Walmart if they have the medium sized reels,
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2014, 01:20 PM »
not sure I have a favorite yet.. but one thing learned last year is the cheap ($12-$15) are not very good IMO.
after spending a few more $$ on different rods, there is a difference.
Built a few this summer, will see  how they work.
long story short, spent a few extra dollars.

Interesting.  My experience is just the opposite.  I started with cheap rods, then moved to more expensive ones.  Now I've migrated back to the lower priced ones.  To me it doesn't matter whether you get expensive or cheap stuff, but it is important to get something that suits your needs and desires.  I've found that I like an super limp tip with some backbone down towards the handle.  That's why I like the ice blues and the ciscos.  The ice blues and ciscos from HT run about $15 usually.  Last year I caught a hybrid at Henry's that weighed 8-9 lbs using my ice blue.  It handled the job just fine.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2014, 06:54 PM »
I have some Jaw Jackers and the Ugly Stix work well with them . I have broken a couple of Eagle Claw rods setting the triggers .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline trout_hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2014, 08:33 PM »
Hands down favorite ice rod I have is a st croix premier ice combo with one of their branded reels on it. Paid way too much for it, think $45ish or so but for jigging its my go to rod every time. Sensitive  tip but has good back bone, its pulled some toad brooks out of Henry's.

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:10 PM »
I started cheap and moved up. The cheap ones are good for dead stick. The ugly sticks are my second choice. But for light jigs I like the higher priced ones in a light action. Problem with some of the fancier ones are the tip is very fragile. The ones with a colored tip don't last for me. I have to be careful but am liking the IMX for my main jigging pole.

Reals: also started cheap and slowly getting better ones. Here you do get what you pay for. I look for ones with a folding handle so it fits in the rod bag with other rod/reels.

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:55 PM »
I just picked up a ugly stick gx2 UL combo for $39.99 and its amazingly good action for jigging I tried it out in a bucket of water this afternoon
And so it begins........

Squarehog

« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:52 AM »
I like the HT Hardwater Classic UL 24" rods.  They are great panfish rods, super limber and I found 3 for $12.50 online!  I also had to upgrade to a vexilar unit this season.   My hummingbird works great, but it is very difficult to see in the sun and even harder with polarized shades on.  The bright lights on the vex should hopefully make it easier to see both on hardwater and in the boat.. + The fl18 has some awesome zoom (and bottom lock for the boat) features and accessories+ icefinders are so much fun to use :)

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:49 AM »
I'm confused. My post got axed again. Apparently, you can't mention Tuned up Custom rods in the Idaho board? Funny, there are multiple posts about them on the main board that don't get deleted....

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Still sold on my 4'6" ultralight outfits for big trout.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=282774.msg2934631#msg2934631

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline AverysAdventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2014, 02:29 PM »
I'm confused. My post got axed again. Apparently, you can't mention Tuned up Custom rods in the Idaho board? Funny, there are multiple posts about them on the main board that don't get deleted....

You can't mention Tuned Up Custom Rods?

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2014, 03:32 PM »
I agree with Square hog. I like the HT Hardwater Classic UL 24" rods too. Great rods for the price!!
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2014, 04:07 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmm is it something special or maybe so great that its has to be kept secret ?

You can't mention Tuned Up Custom Rods?
[/quote

You got away with it so I quoted you to prove you can  ;D

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Apparently, when you say you "run" a product, you are advertising.  :-\

Think I'm going to "run" out to the lake tomorrow and attempt to drill some holes. Haha! Stay safe on 1st ice people.

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Im going to run to cascade and see if i can run on the ice..if i can im gonna run to the truck and grab my gear and run back onto the ice and run my auger through the ice...then and only then will i run any kinda rod....ok i gotta run now.....next thing ya know...i was running... (forrest gump voice)
BOWHUNTER68

Offline AverysAdventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Im going to run to cascade and see if i can run on the ice..if i can im gonna run to the truck and grab my gear and run back onto the ice and run my auger through the ice...then and only then will i run any kinda rod....ok i gotta run now.....next thing ya know...i was running... (forrest gump voice)

LOL I think we all got wet feet fever and we need some ice to cure it!  Dang it I'm so jazzed I had to ride the motorcycle into work today just to feel the cold.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2014, 08:56 AM »
Went to McCall yesterday and fished off the docks.  We caught 2 Macks on our lightest trout gear.  Mine was super skinny, but Dave's had some girth to it.  Mine was around 7-8 lbs.  Caught it on an HT Cysco 26 inch UL rod with 4 lb line.  Dave's was about 11 lbs or so.  He caught it on an HT ice blue 24 inch UL with 6 lb line.  I have to say that those cheap HT UL rods are pretty great.  I absolutely love them.

Sorry the video is so poor and no sound.  It's all I had at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TZ2_ChzfdM

On the way home we swung by Boulder Creek and it was open water except for the upper most portion of that are, which was beginning to ice up.  Then we went by Horsethief, which was also open water, all except the creek arm, which was frozen, but far from safe by my judgment.

With the current weather trend, both BC and creek arm of HT should be frozen and safe by next weekend, I think.  If you go, please exercise caution.

Squarehog

« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Very cool video.  Real Nice Fish.  That's awesome work there guys.. fishing with ul ice tackle for mac's.  In open water.  +off the docks.  That's impressive!  Thanks for the Ice updates also.. 

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing , that was awesome .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Very cool video.  Real Nice Fish.  That's awesome work there guys.. fishing with ul ice tackle for mac's.  In open water.  +off the docks.  That's impressive!  Thanks for the Ice updates also..

Funniest part of the whole thing is that we weren't even targeting Macks.  Truth is I was targeting suckers and trout.  You never know what will bite.

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #29 on: Nov 15, 2014, 04:21 PM »
Were you using a jigger totter?
Fish hard, or go home.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.