The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: What is the best 10inch power auger  (Read 4134 times)

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
What is the best 10inch power auger
« on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Not looking to break the bank but don't want to regret trying to save $50 either.. Want 10 inch for sure, like to keep under $500. Any suggestions

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What is the best 10inch power auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:53 PM »
I bought a jiffy pro 4 its only a 8 inch but you can get a 10 and I got it for under 500 shipped to my door, propane is the way to go they start on the first or second pull every time no smelly gas to deal with and if your drilling in a shack you dont have to smell the stinky exhaust from a 2 stroker and they are not as noisy Eskimo came out with one but theres no reviews on them just yet and I hear they are a bit cheaper in price than the jiffys but I have been using jiffy augers for 35 years and never had any major issues with them

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2014, 10:25 PM »
When I was shopping for an auger, I wanted a 10" jiffy 30 because everything you hear is they are bullet proof and I have no reason not to believe that. My buddy has one with a 10" auger and it always seems to be on the ice with us.

But when I started to look for one the 20 year old used ones were selling for $200.00 to $300.00, I was able to get a brand new Eskimo Mako 10" for $319.00.

I like the Mako over the Z51 & Z71 because there is some reports that the cast alimunum handles are known to break where the Mako has the steel handles, it is also a little lighter in weight. I have used it on many trips to the lake and after a few holes and finding out how well this thing cuts the ice with the two bladed Quantum cutting system....Well the old Jiffy 30 never left the heated shop last year.

This Mako ran most of last year with the 12" extension on it, as we fought 40"+ of ice most of the season, Power from the 43cc Viper engine was not a problem, I found out I needed a rest long before the auger!

I guess the best testimony is: "If I had to buy another auger would I buy another Eskimo Mako 10", the answer is, I would without any hesitation".

I hope this helps you with your decision.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Thanks Frostback... I am looking at the eskimo HC 40 10inch in the propane.... I really like the concept of propane... Any input on that ??  Ican get it out the door for $419

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2014, 10:56 AM »
I can't add anything about the HC-40, being it is a 4 stroke engine vs the 2 stroke. There is a strong movement towards the propane fueled engines but I am not in the camp....yet. I use 2 cycle gas/oil year round for weed whips and blowers so the supply of gas for the auger is a non issue for me. I transport my auger & gas in the box of my pickup, so if there is any spillage it is not a concern. Having said that I have never had a problem yet with my tank leaking. Because I use a gas powered engine I don't require it to be kept in a warm place so it starts when I need it. I use a Pop-up & a Flip over shack so drilling in a enclosed area and fumes are also a non issue for me.

I can say that if you go with the HC-40 or any other Eskimo auger with the Quantum cutting system you will be a happy with the way it cuts through the ice.

I also would like to mention that the Eskimo customer service is as good as it gets and so far I have no reason to look elsewhere, this point is always important to me. Any company can make and market a product, but who is there when you need them and takes ownership of the issues that might arise!

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2014, 11:06 AM »
I can't add anything about the HC-40, being it is a 4 stroke engine vs the 2 stroke. There is a strong movement towards the propane fueled engines but I am not in the camp....yet. I use 2 cycle gas/oil year round for weed whips and blowers so the supply of gas for the auger is a non issue for me. I transport my auger & gas in the box of my pickup, so if there is any spillage it is not a concern. Having said that I have never had a problem yet with my tank leaking. Because I use a gas powered engine I don't require it to be kept in a warm place so it starts when I need it. I use a Pop-up & a Flip over shack so drilling in a enclosed area and fumes are also a non issue for me.

I can say that if you go with the HC-40 or any other Eskimo auger with the Quantum cutting system you will be a happy with the way it cuts through the ice.

I also would like to mention that the Eskimo customer service is as good as it gets and so far I have no reason to look elsewhere, this point is always important to me. Any company can make and market a product, but who is there when you need them and takes ownership of the issues that might arise!
thanks for input frost.... and very well stated

Offline USMC 1371

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2014, 11:33 AM »
10 inch?  What lake has blue fin tuna?

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2014, 12:10 PM »
10 inch?  What lake has blue fin tuna?
1.... I do alot of sight fishing so enjoy the larger hole...... 2....I do alot of pike and pull some nice fish from some lakes I know of... so when the 8 inch holes start to close up in the cold weather and you spud them open they turn into 6 inch holes pretty quick.... You ever try to pull 10-15lb pike through a 6 inch hole, doable but you can knock em off too

Now do you approve LOL ;0)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2014, 01:30 PM »
See if you can find an older 3hp tecumseh Jiffy 30 or STX.  I bought one 9 years ago (new) and hopefully will never need another.  Heavy tank, but that's what ATVs are for.  Bulletproof.

Offline 249er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2014, 04:49 PM »
I have owned most all augers at one point and can say so far Eskimos are the ones for me. I have a z71 and the thing cuts ice so fast it's almost scary the first couple holes. Also I was lucky enough to get to try out one of their propane augers late last winter when we still had we'll over two feet of ice and was very impressed! That auger had a 8 inch bit but I am sure that it will cut very well with a 10 inch bit.

Offline Cheese

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2014, 03:48 PM »
+1 for Eskimo gas augers, I've had mine for 10 years, a Mako 8" quantum blade, and it's bullet proof.  Heavy yes, durable yes, customer service excellent (e.g. new vented gas cap).  I would only trade it for something lighter, but for nothing of the same vintage.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2014, 05:05 PM »
here is a 10 inch z71 for $389.99 they also got the mako to so keep it in mind i think it is 299 or 289.99 any ways found this while searching for my self... check out the length of warranties on the jiffy compare to the eskimo shorter warranty on the jiffy?? does not mean it is a bad auger but there is always that just encase thought also free shipping at the link i showed...

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/augers/eskimo-shark-71cc-10-power-ice-auger

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2014, 12:25 PM »
1.... I do alot of sight fishing so enjoy the larger hole...... 2....I do alot of pike and pull some nice fish from some lakes I know of... so when the 8 inch holes start to close up in the cold weather and you spud them open they turn into 6 inch holes pretty quick.... You ever try to pull 10-15lb pike through a 6 inch hole, doable but you can knock em off too

Now do you approve LOL ;0)

Well said Carver. I Concur for sure, many good reasons to use the right tool for the job.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2014, 03:41 PM »
wet boots and broken ankles lol
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Pretty hard to pull big lakers and eyes with anything less than a 8.  Just sayin  Add 30" of ice and a 9 or 10 is a must. 

Offline SteveH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:12 PM »
wet boots and broken ankles lol

How does that old saying go about the size of your foot?  ???

Big fish require big holes....Just Saying   ;D

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:18 PM »
I like my z71.  Eskimo makes a great auger. 

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:37 PM »
I'm in the market for a new auger right now. Sold my old jiffy to a friend 2 years ago. Been using my dads jiffy stealth stx.

I'm really considering a Eskimo Mako 10". Very attractive price. Lot of good reviews on here.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:38 PM »
If I could get a 9" mako I would be putting an order in right now. I really like 9!!

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:16 AM »
Jiffy model 30

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:14 PM »
This is the age old debate all I can say is I still have yet to be beat by any auger with my strikemaster lazer mag, starts first pull every single time never stalls can drills two hundred holes and still have gas left in the tank. Had a weld on my drill unit snap emailed strikemaster about it sent a pic and had one on my doorstep the very next day no questions asked. And I got to keep my old too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.