Author Topic: First Ice 2013??  (Read 2558 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
First Ice 2013??
« on: Nov 06, 2014, 12:01 PM »
 ??? ???  OK!  Who remembers there first day on the ice last year(2013)??   I'm already to order my winter supply of wax worms and I try to have them delivered a couple of  weeks ahead of the first  4 inches of ice.    Shortly I'll be checking pond temperature weekly, but I forgot to log my finding for last year!!   As a matter of fact I have even forgotten where I kept my 2013 ice fishing log??
Any help will be appreciated!!
Dick :'( :'( :tipup:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: First Ice 2013??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Sorry I can't help you, I don't where you put your 2013 log either.. ;D

Hopefully you'll find it BEFORE the season starts so you can see the comparisons.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2014, 02:20 PM »
day after thanksgiving last year up in your neck of the woods...saw bob mancinni asked me how the hell i knew there was ice up there...stopped deer hunting on my vacation to ice fish....perfect vacation
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2014, 03:59 PM »
 :tipup: :o Thanks!  I never thought about asking the local game warden.  I'll give Bob a call.   The end of November would be great but I would be happy if it was the first week of December when my wife will be in Mexico and I can bring along junk food and beer! ::) 
All the north country ponds have been heavily stocked with OK size rainbows and they cooperate the best right after first ice.
Hope to see you when you come north.
Dick

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2014, 05:15 PM »
I was on sketchy ice on the little pond I live on in southern NH December 1st last year...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2014, 06:24 PM »
 ??? ???OK!  What do you mean by sketchy and how much do you weigh??   
Dick

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Sorry I can't help you, I don't where you put your 2013 log either.. ;D

Hahaha! I was thinking the same thing!
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2014, 07:22 PM »
i usually don't go out on the ice until mid to late december. main reason being that I'm 200lbs and my left arm doesn't work. so if i break though I'm pretty screwed
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:51 PM »
??? ???OK!  What do you mean by sketchy and how much do you weigh??   
Dick

By sketchy I mean probably not safe but I didn't break through. I was never over water more than 3 feet and my nice warm house was a 60 second walk away so I was fine with the risk. It was 2"-3" of clear solid ice and I weight 275... Sketchy lol.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline bngalloNHVTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2014, 08:17 AM »
My first day last year was December 21st on Cobbetts Pond in Windham NH. I stayed in shallow (less than 4 ft of water) but I had a decent 4-5" of solid ice. I would have been out sooner but I had just finished my semester at college. I had friends who had been out in South/Central NH since about the 1st weekend in December.

Ben

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2014, 04:53 PM »
  I was out just before Christmas last year but don't remember the date. I also stayed shallow but I had just bought a finbore hand auger and couldn't wait to get out and try it.

How are you Brian, we fished together last year on Canobie with tree guy mark. Have a safe season and hope to see you and mark again this year.
John

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2014, 06:45 PM »
??? ???  OK!  Who remembers there first day on the ice last year(2013)??   I'm already to order my winter supply of wax worms and I try to have them delivered a couple of  weeks ahead of the first  4 inches of ice.    Shortly I'll be checking pond temperature weekly, but I forgot to log my finding for last year!!   As a matter of fact I have even forgotten where I kept my 2013 ice fishing log??
Any help will be appreciated!!
Dick :'( :'( :tipup:

December 19 th.  White Lake in Tamworth, 4-6" of ice
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2014, 06:41 AM »
 ;D :tipup:  Fished the Conn. out of my little canoe yesterday.  Caught two walleye 23" and 20".  Kept the 23" fish for dinner tonight.  Going to experiment with new fillet technique to easy zip out the Y bone?
Fishing out of my little canoe this time of the year is probably more dangerous, for me, than walking on "sketchy" ice :o ::)
All the tiny ponds here have been frozen for the past two night.   Its time for me to check the water temps. 
Dick

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2014, 10:35 AM »
I saw a picture of lonesome lake in Lincoln NH that was completely frozen over on facebook...its happening soon up north that's for sure
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Trolled Stinson and Tarleton yesterday, saw a light dusting of snow on mountains, no ice that I could see. Getting cold though.
Salmonemia

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Dick,

Looks like Dec. 12 was your first day on ice.   You caught some nice bows and had a hard time eating your lunch!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=266361.0

Lets hope for a repeat this year.

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Dec. 1st. for me last year.This year i am predicting Dec. 7.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2014, 05:43 PM »
 ??? ??? :tipup:  Wow!  Now I remember?  It was Dec. 12th  ;D ;D
I tried to find a post but couldn't.  thanks Nosaj.      As I remember it I had to fish just a short way onto the ice (shallow and weeds) because the week before I had seen open water out in the deeper water that I would normally fish.  Photo does confirm that the rainbows stocked this October are a little smaller than in the past but just as pretty.
Thanks
Dick

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Dick,

After seeing your post I was trying to remember when I made it out first.  I was looking back through my posts and came across a comment I made on yours.  I made it out 12/14 last year.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:56 AM »
December 11 first time and April 11 last time. Dick I can help you out with a few days from last year if you can't find your log. AARP moment?  ;D

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2014, 06:40 AM »
Lets hope for another December to April season this year. 

Where did you fish April  11 last year, North of Dick?

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:43 AM »
December 11 first time and April 11 last time. Dick I can help you out with a few days from last year if you can't find your log. AARP moment?  ;D

Those CRS moments are coming far too frequent for me.....
Getting old isn't for sallies!  ;D

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:15 AM »
i was on ice december 14th in southern Ma near the cape. Crazy yes. i was testing the ice. rope tied to my waste around a tree. 3.5-4 inches of black ice. AWESOME!!!!!!

hoping for a year like last year. my ice season last year was the best ive ever had, and the longest.  open water season for me this year SUCKED!!!!!!!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2014, 06:32 AM »
Lets hope for another December to April season this year. 

Where did you fish April  11 last year, North of Dick?

Not too far from my house. Not the first pond you would think but the other one. It see less sun.

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2014, 09:04 AM »
We hit the Conn river in Norwich last year the weekend after Thanksgiving on 3 inches of solid black, just needed the plank to get on (usual river conditions) The fishing was great but the traffic reactions were the best. Everything was shouted from "awesome" to "you $%#@$#$s"!!! I certainly don't think it will be that early this year, maybe mid december

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Dummy Out on the Ice By Himself
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:15 AM »
December 12 was my first day, too. It was something like -4 degrees. Fun stuff....
  <=== On my car, on my sled, on my soul!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:09 PM »
 :tipup: :tipup: ::) Winter is here in the north country.  Worked along Back Lake , yesterday, with wind and snow squalls.
Hunted this morning and found almost too many deer tracks. 
Checked water temp. at  three local ponds and found 35 degrees just outside of shore ice.   That's a little colder than this time last year.
Early December look promising as long as we don't get snow and rain :'(
Sent in my order for 1,000 wax worms for jigging. 
Dick

Offline FirstTimer1311

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live free and fish
« Reply #27 on: Nov 16, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Went for a drive and say a beautiful sight
Fishing...........even the word is relaxing

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 16, 2014, 03:50 PM »
Nice... seen a couple of higher elevation small ponds skimmed over in the southwest part of the state today.

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2014, 05:38 PM »
I was on the ice nov 26 last year and came off the ice April 11 almost six months of ice fishing..
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.