The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Guy in Iowa coming to visit in January  (Read 799 times)

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Guy in Iowa coming to visit in January
« on: Nov 04, 2014, 10:27 PM »
Hey, I'll be heading over for the first time to the Grand Rapids area from Iowa (will provide better location when I know) for a wedding in late February. My wife is in a wedding so I get one day possibly 2 to go and do some ice fishing and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers for some lakes to hit that are within a hour drive of Grand Rapids. Id love to get on some pike as I have never caught one yet (only 3rd yr ice fishing) but any help finding a lake close by would be great. Thanks a lot!! Ps sorry if message is hard to read watching sons of anarchy!!! Haha

Offline The Dowagiac Dangler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Rippin' Lips
Re: Guy in Iowa coming to visit in January
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:14 AM »
If you end up down by Berrien Springs or Cassopolis, we can hook up and ill show you a few good lakes for northerns and musky.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2014, 11:53 AM »
Hey, I'll be heading over for the first time to the Grand Rapids area from Iowa (will provide better location when I know) for a wedding in late February. My wife is in a wedding so I get one day possibly 2 to go and do some ice fishing and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers for some lakes to hit that are within a hour drive of Grand Rapids. Id love to get on some pike as I have never caught one yet (only 3rd yr ice fishing) but any help finding a lake close by would be great. Thanks a lot!! Ps sorry if message is hard to read watching sons of anarchy!!! Haha

Reeds Lake is just East of Downtown GR....Great Crappie fishing, OK perch/gill fishing, Guys have tip ups out for pike and i know they catch them but i have never personally seen one caught.  Easy to get on during the winter....parking lots near the firebarn, walk on at the Kayak/Canoe launch.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Thanks, don't know how i missed that lake on the map. Thanks for the input. Will mark that as one of the stops!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Gull lake is about an hr. south of  G.R., if you are interested in tip-up fishing for pike, during the day & or smelt fishing after dark, shoot me a PM.  ;)
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2014, 01:26 AM »
I am around quite a few days as I work nights....If you need someone to show you around drop me a message when you are going to be in town.......I have fished most if not all the public lakes, and have some access to some private ones as well.....I have quite a few lakes that have pike in them.....Have one lake  that produced a 33" or better almost every outing last year.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2014, 11:37 AM »
Thanks, don't know how i missed that lake on the map. Thanks for the input. Will mark that as one of the stops!

Cool, glad i could help.  Just go near where everyone else is, less than 100yd walk.  There is a reason they all fish the same area. ;)
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:32 AM »
When u coming up. I'm a pike magnet and I don't fish for them.  I can take u to croton or hardy with me

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Gull lake is my favorite for pike in West Mi, long way from GR though.  It can be tuff if you don't know the lake as well.  If I were you I would be taking up smeltbuster on his offer!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.