The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First Ice Prediction  (Read 4858 times)

Offline cabst119

• Team IceShanty Regular
First Ice Prediction
« on: Nov 03, 2014, 07:03 PM »
My prediction is that we will be on 3" of ice wrangling 12" pickerel at Black Moshannon before any of them boys in the Poconos get out on their private ponds! 

Prediction for first PA ice, Black Moshannon, Black Friday, November 28, 2014.  Pickerel pictures will be forthcoming that evening.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: First Ice Prediction
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2014, 07:41 PM »
My guess I'll be out on my local mountain pond December 7th. Usually out before the Pocono boys hit the ice and I'm well south just gotta know where to look but November ice is hard to find

Offline nite eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Sunsab Itch!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2014, 09:50 PM »
My guess I'll be out on my local mountain pond December 7th. Usually out before the Pocono boys hit the ice and I'm well south just gotta know where to look but November ice is hard to find
If my memory serves me right, I have a picture of you on some November ice not too many years ago...
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline Walleyekiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2014, 07:18 AM »
I hope your right with the black friday prediction cabst119, I know me & Fishbones will be chasing pickerel flags with you all day!  :tipup:

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2014, 07:40 AM »
IM GUESSING DECEMBER 13TH.Had 6" of good ice on OAKS last year DECEMBER 26TH.Im thinking its been a little cooler, sooner this year  so maybe a week or 2 earlier.Would be nice :tipup:

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2014, 10:47 AM »
I'll go with Dec. 2nd. We got out on a fair sized lake at altitude last year on that day and had a blast! Mark, JM, AP, you know what I'm sayin..... I think the ice got soft right after and then tightened back up a week or so later.,

icewagon

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2014, 02:38 PM »
Not gonna be any ice this year so all you ice fisherman who don't want to store all that gear till next season ,send me your address and I will come and take it off your hands :whistle:

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2014, 02:41 PM »
I was on the last day of rifle deer season, hope that works out that way again this year or sooner.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:27 PM »
I was on Hills Creek  Dec 21 with my grandson had 5" of ice, we fished all day no fish but had a ball.  I can only say I hope it gets cold soon I am looking to say second week Dec. I would Like to walk on water.

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:39 PM »
December 18th is my guess I hope sooner got some vacation time I'm trying to save for ice fishing so sooner the better :tipup:
A watched flag never flies

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2014, 05:23 AM »
If my memory serves me right, I have a picture of you on some November ice not too many years ago...
yourwith right I have found safe November ice once or twice, never fished it due to being yo busy with hunting yet.

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2014, 06:41 PM »
here in Saranac lake ny last year was dec 16th and was the earliest  have ever been on goo solid ice. I would love to be at it roughly then this year but im thinking more towards Christmas.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2014, 07:50 PM »
Gonna say december 17 on Black Mo

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2014, 10:48 PM »
Mark; wasn't there supposed to be a lunker perch in that photo? ;) I'd love to get out that early this year. Looking forward to fishing with you again.
Dec. 2, 2013
Mark and Joe

Yours truly and ap

Those poor fish;  ::) tasted pretty good as I recall....

Offline Fishbones'

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Listen to Slayer.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2014, 11:22 PM »
Was on the ice Nov 30 last year...im guessing late December this year...sure would be nice to have the ice thru Christmas break...but the order of stuff from fishusa I received this morning makes me wish it was tomorrow!!!  gonna be hard to top the ice conditions and jigging we had last year...hopefully the tip ups with big bait are more cooperative this time around!!

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2014, 02:56 PM »
I'm just hoping that once it starts freezing, it stays cold!  Seems like every year we get on the ice for a few days, then get hit with a December warm spell or warm rain that beats it up again.  Last year I was walking on Hills Creek checking conditions around December 4th, then it warmed up and I didn't fish for a few weeks. 

I'm optimistic though, I'm predicting we're on at least Hills Creek by the 2nd week of December.

Time will tell.  Until then, I'll be rearranging the shop and playing with my new gear.  Can't wait to test out the LX7 I got last week!
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline Team Disaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Hoping to be on the ice by Christmas break down my way.  My guess is safe ice up north by 12/13.  To a long and safe 14/15 season! 

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2014, 03:07 PM »
I say Thanksgiving. Tobyhanna was 37deg last weekend. Should ice over next week ;D
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Really like the forecast, should really bring the lake temps down at night.  Here's to a long safe ice season :thumbsup:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Forecast for the next ten days looks good nothing above freezing that's a good start still guessing 12/18 but I'd be happy if it were sooner I'm ready to watch the flags flying  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline icefishermik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2014, 02:09 PM »
I hope it's BEFORE hunting season is over. I love having Lake Arthur to myself for first ice. maybe ice for the gathering????

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2014, 10:17 PM »
Finally decided to come back to the shanty.  And what pessimism do I see?

Black Friday, December 2nd, by Christmas............. .CMON People!!!!

Is no one noticing what I'm seeing - things are icing up, right now, as I write this

And it may very well not melt

And if it don't melt, it will grow.

I'm not going to be dumb and make any predictions cause I've been wrong too many times, but lets see, what were the dates of first man on the ice that last few years:

11/27/05
12/9/06
12/3/07
11/22/08
12/11/09
12/8/10
11/30/12
11/28/13

Its cold boys, next week low teens and high 20s during the day, it could be next weekend up at Emerald.  Deer Lake will lock up, heck, Leisure will lock up, just a matter of how much it'll grow.  I'm sure I'll be throwing rocks on my ponds seeing if they bounce, break through, or stick in.

I told my Polish boys, if theres ice next weekend, no New York for me to chase Browns, I'll be on the ice.  Mike believes it, and hes always out a day before me.  He also weighs 50 pounds less than me.  It might be that a 200 pound man may make it out next weekend while I may have to "weight" for that extra half inch.  Go get em boys, its about dang time. Mark, Van, AP, time to get it together.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:41 AM »
Pete, I almost called you cause when I looked at the forecast for Mt. Pocono, I thought ," those guys might be out by next weekend or earlier". ::) Not one for 2-2.5 in. myself but the temps they are predicting are way below average. We'll be verging on making ice in the South lands. Be safe everyone!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:10 AM »
I'm really hoping I can get on the ice by the second week of December got some vacation time at work and I would prefer to spend it on the ice not on the couch

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:41 PM »
It sucks that they lost the skim ice but the good part is we know they're primed to make ice as soon as the temps drop.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 18, 2014, 06:01 AM »
-15 windchill last night here in nwpa, hard to believe it is this cold already!!!!!!! High of 20 2day!

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Not too sure when it will be but I hope it is soon........

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2014, 06:57 PM »
i predict some one will put on a life vest and drape a couple of screwdrivers arround their neck.  then walk on pieces of plywood on  1 1/2 inches  so they can say they got out first.  LOL

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Think we are gonna be on the ice sooner than later.  Black Mo is froze over, BUT NOT SAFE YET!!!  If the weather continues, I think we will be on definitely by deer season.  Nez

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:39 PM »
If all goes well I might be able to get on a pond I've been watching this Friday, which will be the earliest I've ever been on the ice.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.