The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Moving from MN to VT  (Read 1229 times)

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Moving from MN to VT
« on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Going to be moving to VT in about a month or so. Most likely living in/outside of Burlington. Have been ice fishing since I can remember and I am excited to check out the new area. Looks like a lot of the same fishing styles but any advice is welcome. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the ice.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Moving from MN to VT
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2014, 10:07 PM »
Going to be moving to VT in about a month or so. Most likely living in/outside of Burlington. Have been ice fishing since I can remember and I am excited to check out the new area. Looks like a lot of the same fishing styles but any advice is welcome. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the ice.

We had a great Governor years ago named Tom Salmon who ran on the slogan "Welcome to Vermont, come but don't stay"  However we make exceptions for ice fisherman.  Welcome to you and your family!  Just don't tell anyone how nice it is after you get here, its already too crowded.  My town is up to around 1400 people now and the newcomers are talking about putting a traffic roundabout by the Town Hall and the General Store.  I guess we were lucky to have survived this long without one and didn't even know it.  As for advice, don't put your tongue on any cold metal.  Hope to see you on Monkton Pond if you like pike, bluegills and the occasional crappie and winter bass.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Aw Woodchuck, that is terrible news. Problem is Monkton has become the bedroom community for them there city slickers in Burlington who done outgrown their own city. Just look up the road there into Hiney-burg. Dang near metropolis I'd have to say. Never used to be like that. Some call is "growth" but it truly is "sprawl". Don't quite make sense to me why we seem to have more and more people to share the state's tax burdens around yet then taxes and costs of doing business just climb and climb and climb.

I hope ol' Gov Shumlin sees the scrawlin on the wall and knows he best mend his ways and come around. This state has taken a detour and downfall under his "leadership". By gawd Scott Milne has but NO political 'sperience and he dang near beat the incumbent. Guess there were just enough liberal zombies at the voting booth to give ol' Shumlin some edge.

Well, didn't mean to get too far off the wagon ruts there.

So Mr New Guy, best of luck to ya over here in the Greeeen Mountain state, hope you can afford to stay and make some fond memories, sure is a scenic place for sure.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Not going to get into politics or we'll get this thread moved to the Grumpy Old Men forum  ; - )
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:57 PM »
Welcome to VT! theres room for ya don't mind the rednecks, I'm sure you got em where your from to. It is likely that you wont be disappointed with Ice fishing Lake champlain. It takes me a 1 1/2hrs to get there but I manage to fish it several times each winter and its usually action packed! I usually target pike, but I was turned on to white perch up there by a fellow member. Both are a lot of fun, Keep posting and when theres Ice maybe we can go chase some flags together one wintery day
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I visited Vermont this summer and got a great opportunity recently so it was a no-brainer. As far as I am concerned the more isolated the better. Lived in the woods all my life and cannot wait to get out of the city. So the last thing on my agenda is bringing more people along. Rednecks don't bother me, I get along with most people and find that a cold day on the ice tends to sort out most people I wouldn't like anyway.

I target all species just depends on ice conditions and time of year. Do a lot of catch and release fishing depending on the fishery, But cannot resist a fish fry some days. I have gear for just about anything from the big lake to the small ponds. Had a great group of Iceshanty guys in MI, MN, and even AK when I was living in those spots and hope to do so in VT as well. It will just be me and the dog on the ice most days and he is not too talkative, So if you ever want to go or need a partner just give me a shout. Thanks again everyone and hopefully we all have a good season.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2014, 07:49 PM »
I live in Burlington, plenty of great fishing opportunities well within reasonable driving distance.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2014, 12:37 PM »
Tench! He lives! How ya doin old boy? Build a new beaver trap yet?  ;D

Gofish: You will love it here. There is plenty of rural VT that is not all citi-fied so I am sure you will find a little slice of heaven somewhere.

The state is littered with great places to hunt and fish. Lake Champlain is the jewel of the state and holds all sorts of species to chase and there is always the opportunity for a Champ siting, though to be truthful not many of have actually seen that big lug.  :tipup:

Safe travels to you

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Welcome gofish - VT has a lot of varied species and water to fish. Perch, pike, panfish, trout, walleyes are all popular
depending on the area of the state. Northeast corner is predominately trout, landlocked salmon with some perching
and smelting thrown in for good measure. Champlain has amazing cold and warm water fisheries.
Let us know what you like fishing for and generally people are pretty friendly.

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Welcome to the green Mountain State! Everyone has given you some great advice. I'm assuming if you hail from Minnesota you would like to catch burbot- we got them too, mostly in the deep trout lakes in the NE Kingdom.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Tench! He lives! How ya doin old boy? Build a new beaver trap yet?  ;D

No new beaver trap yet, just the portable. Depending how the next month or two goes I might be building a 4x8 beaver castle ;D

Cheers!
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline JNotte

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2014, 09:06 AM »
I hope you have enough jacks. 15 allowed on Lake Champlain, 8 elsewhere in state. Lots of excellent fisheries, besides Champlain be sure to check out Lake Bomoseen which is coming back with smelt and perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.