The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Feedback please, jiffy propane or Icegator lithium??  (Read 4032 times)

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
Feedback please, jiffy propane or Icegator lithium??
« on: Nov 02, 2014, 04:43 PM »
Hey guys, looking for some feedback. I'm going to pull the trigger on a new auger,and it's a toss up between these two. Opinions??

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Feedback please, jiffy propane or Icegator lithium??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2014, 05:17 PM »
I don't have an icegator, but love my electric!  I am thinking about upgrading to a lithium battery though

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Have had both. Propane is great but was Heavy for me.  Ion lithium cut just as fast and 20 lbs. lighter.  No gas w/ either is the biggest plus.  Saw both on craigs good deal for someone.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hell Ain't a bad place to be!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:08 PM »
I've got a jiffy propane, used it half a season. I like it so far. It is heavy though. For my use ,I just can't see using a battery operated one.

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:11 PM »
I personally have the Jiffy propane 10 inch, with a Nils hand auger 8 inch which is much easier at the beginning of the season.  Take a look at the Eskimo Propane that just came out for about $470.00 10 inch. This is forcing or encouraging Jiffy to lower their prices as well, which will be nice for everyone. Lots of options out there. Our shop is ripped apart because we are nearly doubling the size, but it will be back together soon and you are more than welcome to look at them. Probably KTP will have them soon as well, which looks to be closer to you. Good luck!!
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:16 PM »
went propane late last year,broke the plastic throttle control my fault,the ease of the unit was so smooth it made me a fan.

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Traded the Propane for the ION 40V LI-ON.  20Lbs lighter and cuts just as fast.  Last trip -  34 holes thru 32inches of ice and still had 2 bars out of 3 showing on the battery.  Either one is way better than mixing gas nowdays.  Git-er-Done Dude.  The C-List

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2014, 07:40 PM »
I used the jiffy propane last year, thought it was awesome.  Had no complaints with it and counted 84 holes with one little green bottle.  Some of those holes weren't thin either. It is kinda heavy but not for the snowmobile.   

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Jiffy makes the Pro lite now as well which is considerably lighter but only cuts 6" or 8" hole. I have the pro 4-10" and yea it is heavy, starts 1-2 pulls. Mo's HC40 does look good and nils makes a 10" bit now that could go on electric. The thing with electric is the $$$ for future battery replacement or a spare. I like the idea of not having all the moving parts of a combustable engine though.
It must be something in the water.

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback!
Still undecided, but leaning heavy towards propane, I guess my biggest concern is lifespan of a battery and expense to replace.
Anyway, thanks again!!

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2014, 06:10 PM »
If I had to buy one all over again, I would go with the propane again.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2014, 06:46 PM »
I'm a Gator fan through and through.  Been using one for 4 seasons - headed into 5.  Anted up for the lithium battery pack last year and it is NICE.  I'm thinking that $50/year would cover battery replacement, on the lithium side.  I've had good information that the Gator would have no problem driving the new 10" Nils auger.  I have an 8" now.  Have never run the battery dead in a day of fishing.

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2014, 07:29 PM »
I'm a Gator fan through and through.  Been using one for 4 seasons - headed into 5.  Anted up for the lithium battery pack last year and it is NICE.  I'm thinking that $50/year would cover battery replacement, on the lithium side.  I've had good information that the Gator would have no problem driving the new 10" Nils auger.  I have an 8" now.  Have never run the battery dead in a day of fishing.
whats the weight of the 42 volt lithium battery,and your 8" bit? I haven't been able to find the weight on that unit.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2014, 07:50 PM »
I have a gator 8" mind you. We fish -20 regularly and 3' of ice. After 3 years and a set of batteries im going propane. Got a buddy who has propane and is nice with a few mods in the cold. If i felt comfortable using a 10" bit on the gator and new batts every year id do it. But I don't.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2014, 08:00 PM »
whats the weight of the 42 volt lithium battery,and your 8" bit? I haven't been able to find the weight on that unit.
My Gator with 36V lithium pack and 8"Nils goes just a tad over 22Lbs.  Not a real "lightweight" but it is an "ice hog".  No doubt about it.    The new 42V comes with an 8" bit.  Weight is not advertised.  Not sure what the auger bit is either, but it doesn't look like a Nils.  He's got a video of it on Youtube.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2014, 09:15 PM »
I love my 8" ion for trout fishing and early season fishing but I mostly use my 10" Eskimo because I like the bigger hole while pike and Muskie fishing.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2014, 04:21 AM »
I have a gator 8" mind you. We fish -20 regularly and 3' of ice. After 3 years and a set of batteries im going propane. Got a buddy who has propane and is nice with a few mods in the cold. If i felt comfortable using a 10" bit on the gator and new batts every year id do it. But I don't.

What did your buddy do for mods on the propane?

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Biggest thing was rubber banded a hand warmer to tank and got a wool sock to fit over it. No troubles with it at -40 even. Always fires right up.

Offline bigdog25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2014, 02:06 PM »
I had the Jiffy propane for a while, and I'm glad I got it off my hands after nothing but issues! I would go with electric if you don't want to deal with gas. I know strikemaster just came out with a new lithium electric auger that looks nice and seems to cut faster than the propane.
b8C-w    Check out this video, maybe it will help you decide and good luck with your decision!  :tipup:

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2014, 07:53 PM »
I would go with the propane, I could never keep brushes in my gator. I liked it when it worked, but when it quit last year I went back to my Jiffy 30. I also have a Nils 8 inch hand auger that cuts like no tomorrow.
Steve

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2014, 08:06 PM »
I would go with the propane, I could never keep brushes in my gator. I liked it when it worked, but when it quit last year I went back to my Jiffy 30. I also have a Nils 8 inch hand auger that cuts like no tomorrow.
Brushes?  On the motor?  Never seen that issue before.  I disassemble my Gator head every season, clean and grease the contacts and the chain and sprokets.  Been good for 4 years now.  I even have the new switches to install, but never had cause to do it.

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Brushes?  On the motor?  Never seen that issue before.  I disassemble my Gator head every season, clean and grease the contacts and the chain and sprokets.  Been good for 4 years now.  I even have the new switches to install, but never have has cause to do it.
good to know, I hadn't considered that issue with the electrics, thanks!!

Offline justatrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2014, 11:41 AM »
Propane is great so quite and smooth  The only trouble we had it got soaked on a rainy day had the throttle cable freeze , had a hard time trying to dry IT out . we brought in the house still could not get completely dry. do any of you out there spray anything on the cable to prevent it
Thanks John

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Propane is great so quite and smooth  The only trouble we had it got soaked on a rainy day had the throttle cable freeze , had a hard time trying to dry IT out . we brought in the house still could not get completely dry. do any of you out there spray anything on the cable to prevent it
Thanks John

Yeah I the same problem. I sprayed mine with some litthium grease in a can that hardens into grease once it's out of the can. Worked great. No issues since. I'm sure any type of spray lube will work.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2014, 06:22 PM »
I use the white lithium spray also. The new throttle cables are horrible, the older jiffy's with the throttle rod linkage were great. Wish they had kept that design. Try to get a cover for your power head. Jiffy sells one but it is thin and wears quickly. Big C sells an outboard motor cover for 2 strokes up to 25hp that works well also. Even a trash bag will keep out rain and snow. I had wind blown snow get into the recoil spring one day and would not rewind the pull cord. Since that happened, I keep it covered when not in use. Augers are a critical piece of fishing equipment, gotta take care of them.
It must be something in the water.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Tanaka Power Head and the bit of your choice.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:22 AM »
get a strikemaster magnum lite weight and plenty of power 2hp.i picked on up last year a Dicks for 199 in the box

Offline littlenoodlerod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Icegator lithium is bad to the friggin' bone.  The thing just eats the ice up.  I have never used a power auger that even comes close to turning the RPM's that the Gator does.  I wouldn't own anything else.  I can't bore enough holes in one day to kill the batteries and I never have any problems with it. Drill, baby, drill.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2014, 10:43 AM »
Icegator lithium is bad to the friggin' bone.  The thing just eats the ice up.  I have never used a power auger that even comes close to turning the RPM's that the Gator does.  I wouldn't own anything else.  I can't bore enough holes in one day to kill the batteries and I never have any problems with it. Drill, baby, drill.

X2  - nothing on this earth like it.  If all these other outfits drill like hot knives through butter, I can't find the words to describe the outright bad-ass ability of a Gator.  :P

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2014, 10:57 AM »
X2  - nothing on this earth like it.  If all these other outfits drill like hot knives through butter, I can't find the words to describe the outright bad-ass ability of a Gator.  :P
you guys are starting to sway me. Any idea of the battery lifespan? How many years will it last?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.